Unhappy whois/host
    How do I find out who hosts a certain domain?

There is one site that is copying my site..almost word for word on thousands of pages. I've written and asked them to change but they haven't. They still have a bunch of my affiliate links on too.

I tried internic, and whois.sc, but I do not see a host.

Try http://www.whois.sc. They usually have hosting info with the results. Look at the IP location info. The IP is assigned to a hosting company or another company that holds the right to the IP.

The shortcut method for using this it to append the domain name onto their domain name like so: http://www.whois.sc/domainname.com.

I tried them, but no host information came up...weird

You can also use nslookup to get the IP address and then run whois on the ip address...that will eventually lead to who's responsible for that netblock.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Can I ask a n00b question...? How do you find out someone is copying your site? That's an awfully scary thought... Sorry to hear it's happening to you - that sux!

The easiest way to find out if someone is copying your site or a page of content is to copy a unique block of text, perhaps 10 to 15 words, that is unlikely to show up somewhere else. Copy and paste that text in a Google search box and surround it with quotes. Quotes tell Google to search for that exact string of text.

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Thanks TE! I'm sorry, I guess it was a silly question. And interestingly, I did as you suggested and found a french website where they not only copied an old version of one of my sites, but they even went so far as to create a seperate set of pages using my design and layout, but with French content! So what do/can these people do with our page copies?? It looks like all my affiliate IDs were kept on this copy too. I never would have thought I would have found someone copying one of my little sites!

You can also tell someone is copying you by looking at your site stats.

It really SUX to have someone copying your site, and it happens quite a bit to me. Usually though, after I email them, and ask nicely to change the code, they do...end of story. But this guy won't change. As of yesterday, google has grey barred most of my site, and I am thinking this may have something to do with it.

Hi lola

That's when it starts getting serious. I've seen G dole out quite a few mirror site penalties over the past year.

One client came to me after a Romanian group copied his entire site and set it up under their domain. They left all the content, images and contact information intact. The only thing they changed was the routing for the credit card information.

The problem is that every time they defrauded someone by stealing their credit card information, the customers called my client to complain, because his contact info was still on the site. So it can get more serious than when someone just steals your site. The worst part was that this same group stole his web site twice.

So how can I make him take his site down? Many of his pages still have links back to me too, which may be making things worse. I've emailed his host, but haven't had a reply.

ABW Ambassador
    any solution for othelr country specific domain extension ie .de and/or .co.uk?

I am so MAD, more pages of my site are being grey barred, and this guy will not take down my code. &%#$#!@ I should drive to NY and knock on his door, maybe bring a couple of my big ugly Canadian cousins with me

I had a guy do that too..
    Quote Originally Posted by lola
    I am so MAD, more pages of my site are being grey barred, and this guy will not take down my code. &%#$#!@ I should drive to NY and knock on his door, maybe bring a couple of my big ugly Canadian cousins with me
    That happened to me as well. I found a free use copyright violation letter on line and emailed it to them and he imdediately changed the site.

Here's a copy:

xxxxx
    P.O. Box xxxxx
    xxxx, California xxx
    United States

Dear xxxxx:
    It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my copyrighted work entitled axxxx.com (the "Work"). I have reserved all rights in the Work, first published in [December 2001 - November 2004], [and have registered copyright therein]. Your work entitled xxxx.net, xxx.com and xxxx.com is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis.

As you neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for xxxx.net, xxxx.com and xxx.com nor to make or distribute copies, including electronic copies, of same, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as set forth in Section 504(c)(2) therein.

I stipulate that you immediately cease the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the Work, and all copies, including electronic copies, of same, that you deliver to me, if applicable, all unused, undistributed copies of same, or destroy such copies immediately and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. If I have not received an affirmative response from you by February 1, 2005 indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall take further action against you.

I always use this site to find everything from one site.

I found his host through dnsstuff.com, thanks to whoever posted it in another thread. I pretty much said everything that copyright letter says...he/she has never even replied.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread