Amazon Stories
    Ok ladies and gentlemen. I have been a amazon affiliate for a few yrs now and I just cannot stand the quarterly payments but they come in handy when you forget you have an amazon account and I barely reach the mark to get paid. Are there any persons here who have success with amazon, I mean they were great when they bagan but with so much affiliats such low % paid to affiliates do guys make thousands a month? Let me here stories good the bad and ugly.. :
    [URL=]http://www.intelefone.net/voipvincent[/URL]

I feel success is relative there, like the many of us who have earned a check each quarter for three or more years. Sure, some earn a lot but some of them used to and don't any more because of the way the SEs view their sites.

I remember Strago posting pictures of his nice big checks in the AMZN forum but as others started using his techniques even he admits the income is 'way down.

I wonder how many of the claimed 900,000-plus affiliates even earn a yearly deposit in their bank account . . .

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You are not probably going to make much posting a few banners or search boxes on your shopping site. I have a hunch the big money makers do one of the following:

1. Run any and every possible product or type of product on a database with zillions of pages.
    2. Run a popular book-related or information-related site with the newest products showcased.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You're not going to find many people posting here saying "Yeah, I make $XXXXX per quarter from Amazon! (Come copy my site!)".

If they have 900,000 affiliates, I would make the following guesses:

* Under 100,000 affiliates get at least one check a year
    * Under 10,000 affiliates make $1000 per month or more
    * Under 1,000 affiliates make $10,000 per month or more
    * Under 100 affiliates make $100,000 per month or more
    * More than one affiliate make $250,000 per month or more
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think the main trick to earning with Amazon is probably avoiding the book market, or using the books as a supplement only. Since it is so easy to get access to their datafeed and there are readily available programs to put the datafeed on a site, there are an awful lot of sites doing just that, and many start out offering just the books, from what I've seen.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'm still figuring out how best to earn with Amazon, but what sales I've generated, I don't think more than one or two were books.

Amazon can work well with content sites - pick things that go along with your content.

Fan sites - books and movies about said person.

And also as filler when a merchant tanks on you.

Ebudae

Amazon movies and music are a hit too

I didn't do well with Amazon when I first started out back in 2000. Things started picking up the last quarter of 2002, when I did start earning a check every quarter. Started out only $100/quarter then by Qtr3 2003 doubled that, and then doubled it again in Qtr4 2003. By the end of 2003 I had earned almost $1000 for the entire year.

I finally started to see the potentional for amazon outside the book/dvd market as they added 3rd Party merchants. So I really promoted them heavily in 2004 and made over $10,000 for the year. I don't use banners, or datafeeds for that matter. Strictly individual product links.

One thing I love about Amazon is the ability to run the Alexa report, which tells me which products have been discontinued and what page on my site they are on. Sure makes cleaning out deadwood easy. When I ran the report last month, it said I had 22,338 links to amazon. Just goes to show how much you can accomplish putting up a few pages a day with several links.

The benefit of the direct product links is that 2.5% bonus on sales. I usually make the 6% tier at a minimum, so I'm getting 8.5% for the majority of sales.

Amazon seems to be a very trusted merchant and converts very well for me so I will continue to build pages featuring their products.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Tracy,
    How do you run the Alexa report for discontinued products? I must have missed that one, but i know I have pages floating around there that have a bunch of stuff out there that is no longer in stock..

All hail to your success Tracy

Justdoit,

Go to this site:
    http://pages.alexa.com/associates/sitereport.html

It usually only takes an hour or two to receive the report in your email.

It really is an awesome report. Also reports other dead links on your site, as well as items no longer available. But do check the items before you delete them. I've found that even though the item isn't necessarily carried by amazon, there could be third party sellers. You still get paid the 2.5% bonus for 3rd party sales.

Animal Lover
    I found that Amazon is sporadic most of the year and then come Christmas it's like raining sales...I think it's because it's such a BIG mall site and a trusted name that when people are in the buying mood, if you send them there, they will buy. Plus it seems to be the only Toy merchant that doesn't die on me near Christmas...or forget to pay after the event...like a lot of other toy merchants I've been with.

Oscar

I am one of those 10,000. I just made a few AWS websites, and left them running. I don't even login to my Amazon account ever. I just let the check coming as a surprise

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread