ABW Ambassador
    Strange Google Behavior
    About 18 months ago, Google dropped me, so I've been targetting Yahoo. The percentage of hits I was getting from Google dropped to about 5% of the total. In the past few days, the number of viewers has been increasing with the Google percentage of total going to 10%, then 20% yesterday and today 30% with no dropoff on the Yahoo numbers.

However, Google is no longer listing the site with the alpha url, but with the numeric url. WTF??? I suppose Google could have screwed up and listed the site as a new site, only to be dropped again when they do their dance. Have also noticed there's a major increase of other sites on Google with the same url format.

Anyone know of anything that Google is doing that would cause this?

Bob

You must mean ip address when you say numeric url, right? I think someone has a link to your ip address posted somewhere and google followed/indexed it. It happens occasionally. Their indexing it and listing your site is good but hopefully they can list your dot.com address for you.

Good luck

ABW Ambassador
    What do you mean by targetting Yahoo? Different from targetting Google or another SE how?

ABW Ambassador
    TrustNo1,

I target Google and Yahoo based on the number of characters they allow in the title. In targeting Google I load the most frequent keywords in the beginning of the title, but with Yahoo I can use more targeted keywords and spread them out as Yahoo allows about twice as many characters as Google.

Google allows 66 characters but Yahoo allows 120. I sense that Google may be expanding the title length because I spotted one on Google today that was 70 characters.

Bob

Bob,
    You said:
    I target Google and Yahoo based on the number of characters they allow in the title.
    I assume you're speaking of the content found between the TITLE tags, right?
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

ABW Ambassador
    Hmm, i don't know much about that. When you say allow do you mean what is displayed in Google when doing a search? Because i see plenty of sites in Google who rank well that have title tags with more than 70 characters. When you do a search on Google you'll sometimes see at the end of the title tag " ...." So they might display in the SERPS only a certain amount of characters of the Title Tag but will index and rank title tags that go over that. I've always used the rule of thumb that my Title should never run off the screen so somebody can't read the whole thing. I always shoot for 10 words +/- 3. And on a big shopping site i have pages that do good both for Google and Yahoo. Some just do great in Yahoo and not Google and vice versa.

ABW Ambassador
    Rich K - yes

TrustNo1 - It may appear in Google that a site's title has more than 70 characters (including spaces & puctuation), but if you copy the title, put it in MS Word and check the amount of characters, you'll rarely see one that exceeds 66. Don't count the "..." at the end of the title as that's something Google puts in to show they've shortened the title. If the 66th character is in the middle of a word, Google will eliminate that word and only show the preceeding words. Yahoo shows all characters up to 120.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, Google cuts off at 66 and Yahoo 120, never knew that. I would stick to the 66 max character limit, make them both happy plus keeping in mind usability for the user.

So when Google index the IP address, will that trigger duplicat content filter?
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

ABW Ambassador
    It doesn't seem to be triggering the duplicate content filter, but my AdSense revenue is heading south. I'm concerned that AdSense only recognizes the URL and is not recognizing the IP Address.

Bob

Bob, are you properly hosted or are you using some weird forwarding thing? Google should never see your IP address normally.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Normally Google will only use a URL it has found in a link. Heyder is right .

Google may also be capturing a URL when you use the Google toolbar. That is the only way it can look up PageRank. I think the jury is still out on this one, but I've seen several postings lately where people say that Google is ignoring the robots.txt and noindex meta tags for protected pages. It may be that they are picking the addresses up through the toolbar.

bob95603, do you have the Google Toolbar installed and have you accessed the site using the IP address?

Oh yes, Google definitely collects toolbar data for the index. Google knows about a server here that's absolutely not accessible from the internet because of that. It hasn't *indexed* it though - it just knows that it exists.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Running the site on a dedicated server with no wierd forwarding.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Google toolbar which I only use for Google search.

I use Stat Counter to capture data and they are showing Google showing the IP address for every inquiry. As I stated earlier, in reviewing Google, I'm seeing other sites where they are using the IP Address also and not the URL.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread