Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    WANTED!!....Website
    I was just wondering if there is anyone who has a website that they do not need anymore. Either it is not performing like your other websites or you just do not have the time to operate it or for whatever reason, like you and your partner went seperate ways and you want to kick em to the curb by setting me up with this website...
    I need to know that there is hope for me in this internet industry. Cause it just aint working for me right now. I am not giving up. I just think I need a honest mentor.
    [URL=]http://www.intelefone.net/voipvincent[/URL]

Not so fast grasshopper. Buying someone elses failure isn't going to help your situation.

Failure is relative. For example Jim has 10 websites, 9 of those sites are earning $3,500 or more a month, his poorest performing site is only bringing in $600 a month. If $600 is failure for him it may not be for me. You see where I am coming from!

Heyder is right...

And I'll add that it's all hard work. But the rewards do exist. Learn the basics in forums like sitepoint.com and webmasterworld.com. You should also find out who is making money on Sitepoint.com and develop similar online businesses.

Can you code ? Can you program ? What can you give ? What problem can you help solve? Can you write articles ?

If you don't know yet... find out As soon as you find that out, the money will start rolling in.

BTW, I'm in Trinidad, nice to see someone else from the Caribbean

Took me 3 years before I made any real income.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincyheat
    Failure is relative. For example Jim has 10 websites, 9 of those sites are earning $3,500 or more a month, his poorest performing site is only bringing in $600 a month. If $600 is failure for him it may not be for me. You see where I am coming from!
    Normally a site making $600 should be sold for $6000. Are you willing to buy such a site ?

What can you give in return ?

Quote Originally Posted by marcel
    Heyder is right...

And I'll add that it's all hard work. But the rewards do exist. Learn the basics in forums like sitepoint.com and webmasterworld.com. You should also find out who is making money on Sitepoint.com and develop similar online businesses.

Can you code ? Can you program ? What can you give ? What problem can you help solve? Can you write articles ?

If you don't know yet... find out As soon as you find that out, the money will start rolling in.

BTW, I'm in Trinidad, nice to see someone else from the Caribbean

Took me 3 years before I made any real income

Hey Marcel
    Greetings I am in Vincyland. Wow seeing someone else from the Caribbean posting encourages my spirit. I thought only Americans, British and Australian nationals were the only members here.. Glad to see a Trini making it. So what online ventures are you into Marcel?

Vincyheat, please don't post this type of thread in the "Exclusive Offers" board. This area is reserved for "authorized" posts. Thank you.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I was just wondering if there is anyone who has a website that they do not need anymore
    If $600 is failure for him it may not be for me
    just throw them $600 web sites my way...

i bet their are ,,,,,,,1,0000`s of them kicking around.

this way,, this way..... thats it folks,, throw them god damm $600
    websites this way................

has the world gone MAD
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Vincyheat,
    Buying a domain name from someone else is NOT the way to go.
    There are still a lot of good domain names out there.

To get you started -- if you have no idea where to begin...

First of all -
    What do YOU like to do.. what is YOUR favorite HOBBY or ACTIVITY..
    Start with THAT..
    Then find a merchant who sells merchandise that fits into your favorite hobby..

Then buy a domain that has a name fitting for the activity you have chosen.
    Now build a site around YOUR favorite activity and work in some products that YOU would BUY since this is YOUR favorite HOBBY..

Creating content for stuff that YOU like is a lot easier than picking a random merchant and trying to sell products you know nothing about.

Once you get a few sales under your belt and you can see how things work a little better. See what sells and how your selling it... then it's much easier to grab a merchant that sells stuff you know nothing about and use some of the techniques you learned from your original site.

In other words start off selling stuff that YOU would buy yourself..
    This will make your life a lot easier.

Vincyheat, if you want a case study, check out my new site beadersoutlet.net

I registered it this year on Feb 14, got it hosted on Feb 27, and it's now getting about a 100+ page views a day with no SEO and PR0. The run rate on the Ebay ads is about $6 a month.

If I can't take a site like this to $600 a month, I have no business touching a site making $600 a month.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with AddHandler's comment about buying a domain name...
    Buying a domain name from someone else is NOT the way to go.
    There are still a lot of good domain names out there.
    But my opinion is exactly the opposite of what AddHandler said about making sites based on what YOU like. My opinion is, make sites/pages based on what the people, searching with their CCs ready, are looking for!

Selling is selling. Doesn't matter if it's road rocks or running shoes. Get excited about THE SELLING in it's own right! The thrill isn't in the product, it's in the fact that YOUR pitch got somebody to stop their looking around, get their CC out, and BUY the thing!

Sell what people are buying, and that isn't in a saturated category!
    As for making sites about what you love, personally I think that's a great way to NOT make money. Many interests, at least many of MY interests, lead straight to no-salesville. For instance, I play Rome: Total War constantly, and love video games in general, but ding-donged if I'd make a Rome: Total War site or any other game site. There's already lots of 'em, plus people don't buy sheet off of video game sites (main problem: they've already GOT the game!). And even though I like selling, and advertising, I won't make a site about either one because money-making is about THE most saturated category there is.

So, my advice is, sell what people are buying and the entire rest of the internet isn't already selling regardless of whether you love it, like it, or even give a flying squirrel about it one way or the other! MOST of my best performers are things or categories I have zero interest in. It's the selling, in and of itself, that's exciting. That and the cracking of algos, which is very videogame-like...

Do your research. Use WordTracker--see if anyone's searching for the prospective product. Then see if there's already a huge battalion of competing sites pushing it. If there are lots of people looking, and not too many sites competing (what amounts to "too many" depends mainly on your ability to rise above them in the SERPS ), that's usually (there are some exceptions) the product to go for...

As for what constitutes a loser site...any site that's costing more in w*rk-hours than the pay adds up to would qualify (along with sites that don't pay for their own hosting/registration bills). But with the minimal amount of w*rk that's really required for most sites, a site has got to do really, really badly, over a long period of time, to be THAT bad!

I would certainly keep a $600 site even if the others were all making $6000. $600's still way more than the cost of domain, hosting, and work-put-in. So a $600 site may be an "underperformer" but that's still not a loser!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader - I Agree "Selling is selling"
    But selling is selling to those who have sold..
    If you have never sold anything online then it is harder to "just start selling"

Of course you have to take into consideration whether what you like is something that would make sales. I too play games - FAR CRY but I do not have any sites about it or sell video games on any site I have. If my hobby was feeding pigeons at the park, there is no money in online pigeon food. So you have to take THAT into consideration as well. Good Point Leader.
    Personally I think selling something you like yourself is a much easier sale than selling something you know nothing about. Creating content for something you know about is much easier and the content is what sells.. IMHO.

Leader get excited about selling - I want to buy two cases of your best FooNoo
    Tell me how you would sell me those two cases of FooNoo.
    What would be your best selling point?
    What would be your best advice on how to get FooNoo?
    What would be your best advice on how to use FooNoo?

What would you do with a product such as FooNoo?
    Just put a text link up - "CLICK HERE For The Best FooNoo"

If you were going to create a whole site around FooNoo.
    You would first have to find out what FooNoo IS and what it's used for.
    That is time and energy - if you sell what you know then there is less research to be done.

I think to start -- it is best to sell what you know. Once you make sales then you can start sharpening your sales skills a little better. Soon you WILL be ABLE to SELL ANYTHING..

Just my Opinion..

AddHandler and Leader that was wealth of information you guys provided. Was more like a "10 course meal" than food for thought

infoscott I was almost blinded by your cool green beaded site, strange enough my favourite cousin has a "brick and mortar" store that sells that kind of stufff so I have emailed a link of your site to her.

Guys this is somethig I hope to to go into full time. I have been saying that for the past 8 or so months. Maybe I am being too cautious. I have to be! There are too may thieves and schemers and gurus on the bloody internet and that is why I will ask forum members for advice before doing anything silly. Honestly I have read hundreds of post on different forums within the past two months trying to figure out what programs to join. I googled and Yahooed affiliate programs, ebooks etc.. and in doing so joined more than a dozen affiliate programs. It is my desire to run something of my own but deciding what niche has been a headache. Something to wet my feet in. There should be text book about this kind of stuff, but that will not be possible because what is selling hott this month is total crap in September. Then again the "ebooks" do not tell you everything, you always feel the gurus are holding something back from you. So how can you trust anyone these days?
    So I guess buying a website from ebay is no no no too...

It goes right back to what you have a passion for. If you're going to replace a nine-to-five, the worst thing you can do is be your own boss in a job you hate. Then you can't blame The Man, because you are The Man.

I found three main reasons around here why people won't tell you "their secrets" outright.
    1) What they do they want as little competition as possible.
    2) What they do won't work for you.
    3) You have to work for it, and they know it. What you discover quite possibly is far different than what they might suggest.

I showed the beaders site because it's something I feel passionate about (I make jewelry myself), and the people I build the site for feel the same way. A lot of times it feels like I'm doing them a favor more than I'm doing it for myself. But that wouldn't be my main affiliate site unless I thought there was something in it both for them and me. Since beaders have to buy supplies for their hobby/craft/business, it's up to me to find a way of funneling some of those sales in my direction and with a commission attached to it.

But apart from Ebay, the bead industry doesn't nor should it use affiliate programs. So it's up to me to look for other opportunities. JoAnn's craft store has an affiliate program, so they get a link. People in the jewelry business need business cards, so VistaPrint gets a link. People starting out in beading need to read books in addition to forum posts, so Overstock or Amazon gets a link. They could be doing all night beading parties getting ready for a craft show, so Coffee Connection gets a link. Before you know it, the hobby site is going to become a portal to make it easier and more convenient for these hobbiest to pursue their craft. And in the process they give me a cut of their purchases, but coming out of the merchants pocket.

Done right, the customers will thank you for doing them a big favor. Done really right, you'll have enough aficionados flocking to your site that the commissions come rolling in.

If you decide to go with more of a sales site, what are you passionate about buying? I have a little page for the Tungsten C handheld computer. It should get PalmOne links, Ebay links (for cheap parts), MacConnect links for Mac support, Amazon links for magazine subscriptions to palmtop mags. I'll likely spend as much on software, peripherals, and support over the lifetime of the product as I spent on the product. So it makes sense that if I do the research of what works with my particular model, I share it with the world and get compensated for that research.

So figure out what you are passionate about that's not a commodity product (things like Cheetos and drum sets don't count) and play up to that.

The realm of niches where you can make profit and the realm of niches where you have an interest can and usually do overlap. You can do something you enjoy and make a profit. If you enjoy it, you'll do a much better job. If you make a profit with it, you'll enjoy it even more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by infoscott

I found three main reasons around here why people won't tell you "their secrets" outright.
    1) What they do they want as little competition as possible.
    2) What they do won't work for you.
    3) You have to work for it, and they know it. What you discover quite possibly is far different than what they might suggest.
    So figure out what you are passionate about that's not a commodity product (things like Cheetos and drum sets don't count) and play up to that.
    I agree with you...
    Hey Michael Coley that is a huge site you have there. Can I safely say it is made up of over 500 pages.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The first thing I do, before I even find a domain, is I find a merchant, and look for a niche within that merchant's product line. I usually speak to the AM for that merchant as well, just to see if they have any idea on product lines that aren't already exploited by other affiliates, or to see if they have an idea for an approach to use.

Once I decide on an approach, I pick a domain name that makes sense based on that approach.

Other folks have a tendancy to build huge sites that have thousands of pages. I, and others, have a tendancy to create smaller, niche focussed sites, some of which may only have 5-10 pages in total.

The thing is, the first step to building a successful site is focussing on what traffic you are going to try to pull in, and build around their interests.

Any $600/month site I have I consider a success: anything that leaves me with more money than I spend is worth keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    Any $600/month site I have I consider a success: anything that leaves me with more money than I spend is worth keeping.
    I know other people have said it already, but $600 a month is at least part-way to being a success even if you spend half the week on it. If you spend zero to virtually zero time on it, it's a roaring success - how else can you describe getting $600 a month for doing hardly anything while you concentrate on other things.

ALSO - another thing I learnt recently, a site you may well have just about abandonded (I have one I nearly sold at a knock-down price) can be made to perform by applying new stuff you learned since you last touched it. It's like spinning plates, get as many as you can going, ideally as fast as possible, don't let them drop, but don't start a new one if you can't spin that one too - you may as well work on monetizing an existing site as start from scratch for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    The first thing I do, before I even find a domain, is I find a merchant, and look for a niche within that merchant's product line. I usually speak to the AM for that merchant as well, just to see if they have any idea on product lines that aren't already exploited by other affiliates, or to see if they have an idea for an approach to use.
    I actually did that last week!! I approached and email 7 AMs within the past month and have received only 1 response, so guess what I did, I joined that particular affiliate program and forget about the others (somehow I still ended up joining close to a dozen )and the AM provided me with keywords , landing pages and told me what markets to target. It is now up to me now to work with that information. I have a lot of time on my hands but not so much money. .
    Thanks again elbowcreek.

PAUL WARD - You Gotta Love This --

"It's like spinning plates, get as many as you can going, ideally as fast as possible, don't let them drop, but don't start a new one if you can't spin that one too"

Exactly!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    AddHandler-- Your FooNoo questions show some wrong assumptions. You're assuming the buyer needs all this product information you ask about (which is, by extension, actually assuming that the visitors aren't as targeted as they could be).

My sites are targeted toward BUYERS who are ready or "on the edge of ready" to buy, and are just looking for WHERE to do it. So I don't have to tell 'em much about the products themselves. If they didn't know about the product, they usually wouldn't have been looking for it under specific terms in the first place. What they DO need to know about, is the place I'm telling them to get it at. Why get it there? What's better about MyMerchant? Those kinds of questions are the ones I want to answer, not product questions.

Leader get excited about selling - I want to buy two cases of your best FooNoo
    Tell me how you would sell me those two cases of FooNoo.
    Selling to you would be easy! Easy because, like most people who search on such a specific term, you already want to buy FooNoo. And since you want 2 whole cases of it, I'd say you're 100% sold on the stuff--you're just looking for a supplier.

Now it's time to convince you that MY-Merchant.com is the supplier you should get it from.

I'm not going to write a pitch example, though... Pitches are for *real* customers, not those in the same business, sorry...

Now before I go on, I will say that if I DO know something about the product, sure--I'll use that knowledge to improve the pitch, if it's going on a non-automated site or site section.

But if you're using feeds, like I do 99% of the time, you may find that you'd be 1000 years old before you got done writing your own descriptions for all the products. In those cases, you have to come up with something else to say--something that will work for the merchant's entire product line. It's easier to do it for single-category merchants, I'll admit.

>>(product research) is time and energy - if you sell what you know then there is less research to be done.

Not really, at least not for me, for the reasons mentioned above.

But regardless of my knowledge of the actual product (as in, the questions you had asked about FooNoo), I'd still have to go through all the basic steps of 1) finding out if anyone else cared about the item [or range of items] besides me, and if so, if there's *enough* others to bother promoting it 2) how many others are trying to sell it, and 3) whether there's a merchant who has it that's worth promoting.

Even if I'm a total expert about a product line, I'm going to be hitting that WordTracker before I even hit "generate pages" with WebMerge, let alone actually write anything!

If you were going to create a whole site around FooNoo.
    I'd have to have my head examined! lol

I may make a site about an entire category (although I much prefer malls)--but ONE PRODUCT? It just wouldn't happen. There's too much chance of bads like the merchant dying, closing their program, a big FooNoo recall, or other offbeat stuff I can't even think of before it happens... bads like that would cause me to be stuck with a dead domain if I only had one product on it. I try my best to have domains where I can just put something else up if one of the merchants goes sour. And in my preferred method--malls--it doesn't matter if even a whole product line goes sour!

But selling is selling to those who have sold..
    If you have never sold anything online then it is harder to "just start selling"
    There's a bit of a learning curve, I suppose. I practiced selling stuff I didn't know much (if anything) about when I w*rked at a grocery store. It wasn't my job to do that, I did it just to keep from going bananas from boredom! After all, there's only so much putting stuff in a bag a person can do before looking for some kind of challenge!! So I'd try to talk customers into buying other stuff, other brands, etc. than they intended to, just to keep my neurons from atrophying.

I usually just randomly picked something and tried to sell it...if there were 2 brands I'd try to get 'em to buy the Other Brand (the one they weren't looking directly at--people look right at the one they intend to buy). Interestingly, a lot of people are really wishy-washy and not firm/confident in their own judgement--it was easy to get most of them to try another brand, and sometimes to change their purchase plans entirely! (I found it freaky that people were unsure of things as basic as their choice of crackers...)

Little did I know I would end up using that unpaid selling practice to not only ditch that job, but to make a lot more money! It sure beats *their* idea of "moving up" (cashier...Blaaagghh)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader - you make some good points there - ones I hadn't thought of..!
    That's what makes this kind of stuff so cool.. you get to see other peoples perspectives on stuff and learn..!

But as an ABSOLUTE "Admited" BEGINNER looking for a place to START..
    starting with something you know about seems to be the quickest way for people to learn the ins and outs of the online game, and get their feet wet with CJ, LINKSHARE or Others.. There is plenty to learn besides WHAT to sell.

I just think your asking to much. Your asking him to skip right into what your doing now. Did you start out doing exactly what your doing now? Or did you learn how to do what your doing now by going through the process? Did you start off small with something you know and then develope your skills as you grew, OR did you just open up the sites you have now and nothing has changed..?

I think you need to ask yourself "What did you do the very first day you thought about doing this for money" go back to the way you felt/thought at that time?

Because that is where he is coming from.

From all that was said, in a nutshell, the beginning is the most difficult phase in starting any business.

If you want to start with a huge plan and on a huge site, then yes it is hard. If you want to start organically, and grow things up from a little seed of an idea, then starting is easy. You just have to do it, and see where things go. This is not like brick&mortar business where you have to do a huge capital outlay, sign leases, all that hassly stuff. You register a domain, buy space on an ISP, and start cranking out pages. Watch what people want through server logs, and ask them what they want. Give them a voice, and they will tell you.
    [LEFT]Scott :tartanber [URL=http://www.scotthamilton.net]My Vanity Page[/URL][/LEFT]

Helping the small content sites with affiliate commission programs. . I can se us doing business in the future infoscott

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast