Is direct linking through PPC a No-No at CJ?
    Hi All,

Is direct linking through PPC a No-No at CJ?... And if so where can I find that listed at CJ?

Thanks for Your Help and Time.
    Love You,
    HumbleFish

I don't think it is a CJ policy but more like an individual merchant's policy. I know that GEICO doesn't allow it but many others like eBay are fine with it.

ABW Ambassador
    It's pretty much a no no now with Google, if you're talking about linking directly to the merchant via PPC.

Thanks inasisi and TrustNo1,

TrustNo1,

I think I've read all of Google's do's and don'ts and haven't seen anything on it? could You direct me to the proper place?

Judging by what CJ do allow to happen I would think direct linking is perfectly ok with them. I fail to see how they can allow the parasites to popup all over our sites and yet not allow us to direct link.

I personaly do not do it but if I did and they told me to stop it I would be one pissed off affiliate who would tell them in my own unique way to sort out their own parasite problems before they start with us smaller fish.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    https://adwords.google.com/select/news/sa_jan05.html

There were some big threads about this back in January at WebmasterWorld and here a little bit. The people that used to link directly to the merchant now just make landing pages.

Yea, don't think you can link directly to a merchant using affiliate link on AdWord.
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

Google still allows it, but only one result will be shown for each domain. So if eBay.com is bidding on "electronics" and you and 13 other affiliates linking directly to eBay, only one of the 15 eBay.com ads will be shown. If you have your own landing page, you don't have that problem.

CJ doesn't restrict it.

Some merchants have quite a few PPC restrictions that they place on affiliates. That will be your major hurdle.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Google Quote: Affiliates or advertisers using unique URLs in their ads will not be affected by this change. Please note that your Display URL must match the URL of your landing page, and you may not simply frame another site.
    Thanks TrustNo1, and All,

That clears it up for me... I either have to get permission to use the merchants domain name (www.example_merchant_link.com) or make landing pages... Well I guess I'm off to make some landing pages.

Thanks Again and Love You,
    HumbleFish

There is another way of doing it without having to build a land page, although I have not tested it out yet.

You can simply forward a domain or subdomain to your affiliate url.

For example:
    If I'm promoting a "Cash4Gold" offer, I would create a subdomain like: (ex: cash4gold.xxxxxx.com) , and then forward that sub-domain, thru my domain manager, I use Godaddy, to my affiliate url.

Like a said I have not tested it on Adwords yet, but I would have to assume if you create subdomains based on your keywords you might get a better quality score.

BTW, I've had no problems direct linking with Yahoo Search, and I actually find CTR better with Yahoo than google.

I may be wrong about the forwarding at least as it relates to Adwords. I will test it out later this week and report back

I have learned a lot thatnks for the great information.

http and a telephoto
    As noted above, you need the MERCHANTS permission to do Direct to Merchant ppc, using a subdomain redirect doesn't count as not be DTM.

BTW, original thread was from 2005 and a LOT has changed with the rules since then, but bottom line is, you need to follow the merchant and network TOS and not look for a "work around".
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    As noted above, you need the MERCHANTS permission to do Direct to Merchant ppc, using a subdomain redirect doesn't count as not be DTM.
    I'm sorry but could clarify what DTM means.

If I have the merchants permission, what's wrong with my method? I'd appreciate any input as I'm just starting my CPA campaigns with Adwords, as I said I've had no problems with yahoo.

Thanks

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bfamedia
    There is another way of doing it without having to build a land page, although I have not tested it out yet.

For example:
    If I'm promoting a "Cash4Gold" offer, I would create a subdomain like: (ex: cash4gold.xxxxxx.com) , and then forward that sub-domain, thru my domain manager, I use Godaddy, to my affiliate url.

Like a said I have not tested it on Adwords yet, but I would have to assume if you create subdomains based on your keywords you might get a better quality score.

BTW, I've had no problems direct linking with Yahoo Search, and I actually find CTR better with Yahoo than google.

I may be wrong about the forwarding at least as it relates to Adwords. I will test it out later this week and report back
    Hmmm - I'm not sure if that's allowed w/adwords. Even if it was, your quality score for your ad would be so low that you'll end up having to pay a minimum of $5/click...

Better to create a worthwhile landing page...

http and a telephoto
    I'm sorry but could clarify what DTM means.

If I have the merchants permission, what's wrong with my method? I'd appreciate any input as I'm just starting my CPA campaigns with Adwords, as I said I've had no problems with yahoo.

Thanks
    Re-read my post. DTM = Direct to Merchant.

If you have the *merchant's* permission great, you're good to go. But you made it sound like you had a work around to get around the rules.

And as Convergence pointed out, your landing page quality score will be crap, so you will pay way more for clicks than someone that makes a true landing page on their own website.
    Deborah Carney

Thanks

I appreciate the reply.

My only problem with landing pages is that it is an extra step from which the visitor can click away. But that is also a function of the quality of the page itself, kind of a double edged sword in my mind.

Thanks again

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    ...But that is also a function of the quality of the page itself...
    Bingo -

No shortcuts, no "easy" road, no free rides... Quality counts in all that you do.

http and a telephoto
    You get paid to pre-sell, not just to deliver clicks. If you do your "job" right you will get way higher conversion with a pre-sell landing page than with just paying for direct to merchant clicks.
    Deborah Carney

For example:

You're wrong. Yahoo and MSN don't need the display URL to match the destination, but Google does. If your cash4gold.xxxxxx.com just forwards to your affiliate link of http://www.affiliatenetwork.com/offe...filiate-number, which lands on Cash4GoldOffer.com, Google's policy would require your display URL to be that of the final page, Cash4GoldOffer.com .

I am so sorry to jump in, but people pay $5/click? I got half way down this thread and saw that and just about well you know.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    christmas ppc trolls.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread