Anyone know about community fish tanks?
    Hi -
    I don't know if it is appropriate to post a totally random issue in here, but I thought maybe someone here might be able to help me.

My department is setting up a fish tank for all of us to have a fish in and enjoy at work. I am trying to come up with an unusual fish that would be fun to have, but it has to be a community fish or possibly semi-agressive. I'm not having much luck coming up with anything other than the typical stuff.

I remember a roomate of mine in college had the cutest fish, but I can't remember what it was called. It had sort of a rounded body, not flat like most, and big bug-eyes that made it so ugly, it was cute. It wasn't very big, maybe 2-3 inches long at the most, and maybe 1/2-1 inch or so wide. If any of you have the slightest idea of what I am talking about I would love to know the name of it.

Anyway, I know this is random, but I figured there had to be a couple of folks here who really know their "fish tank" stuff.

Thanks!!!

Sheri

Hi Sheri,

It's a type of gold fish I think?

ABW Ambassador
    Is it a salt water tank or regular tap water?

Thanks for your replies. It is a fresh water tank.

This one that I am talking about was sort of brown/speckled in color. It actually has sort of bug eyes that were on the top of it's head but spread out so as almost on the side. Not the pockets under the eyes. I'm driving myself crazy to figure it out.

Thanks again,
    Sheri

Could be a Plecostomus - I used to have two or three. Did it have alarge dorsal fin and a big sucking mouth. They are great aquarium characters.

This is a link to Google images.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=pl...en&sa=N&tab=wi

I don't think this is quite what you're describing but a good fish would be an "oscar". They're aggressive, ugly/cute in a bulldog sort of way, and very hardy. We use to feed ours "Gains Burger", that dog food that looked like ground beef.

You have to make sure the tank has a good lid, though, as they will jump out of the water, out of the tank, and you'll have a stiffie in the morning.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    You could really show your individuality by choosing a freshwater crustacean.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebI...rustaceans.htm

Here's some more GoldFish with big eyes.

infoscott,

If she gets a oscar there won't be any other fish in the tank because it will eat them.

I'd recommend a fresh water Bala Shark it's not a real shark but looks kind of like one; very cool... Just make sure the tank has a good top or it will jump out... They're kind of skiddish and very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by infoscott
    We use to feed ours "Gains Burger", that dog food that looked like ground beef.
    Wow! No dog I ever owned, or met, would eat Gaines Burgers, it's nice to know that some species of life will eat them

I dunno nuttin' about fishies, but it does sound like some version of goldfish to me.

My family owned a pet store for 50 years and the only fish that I can think of that your describing with blue eyes and that is fresh water would be a Plecostomus. Which if that is the case that is a scavenger with it's own defenses that you could but semi agressive fish in with.

What size tank is it? If it's a good size african chiclids are a pretty fish that come any many colors and a placo could go in with them. We kept a 180 gallon tank with them in it and if you develop caves with lots of lava rocks they breed like crazy.

KEEP IN MIND HOW BIG THE FISH you are adding are goingto be when they be come adult fish... most fish sold in pet stores are babies...

Plecos get to be large bruisers.... the ones I had grew to be 15" long... not the kind of fish for a 50 gal or smaller tank...

for examples of fresh water fish and their sizes visit the Aquarium Fish magazine website...

Joe

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Great

Wow. You guys are great. While you still haven't been able to name the fish of my frustration, I sure do appreciate the input.

We have a 175 gallon tank, but there are probably going to be 30 or so fish in it so it can't be too big. The pleco that you mentioned does look similar but would get way too big. The one I'm thinking of was quite small, with a rounder head and bigger eyes. Almost sort like a slug that had gotten punched in the face.

I may just have to give up on the idea because the searching for this one has already taken up too much time. Thanks for the other suggestions, even though an Oscar would not do well in this environment.

Sheri

Hi Sheri, sorry I couldn't help You find Your desired fish. You might want to checkout little catfishes are really cute, comical, and cool.

Here's a Cute Catfish and there are many more species. Here's the home page at: http://planetcatfish.com.

Sounds like your are describing a "box" or "puffer" fish. Most are marine fish, but there is a fresh water one -- the figure 8 puffer. They are really cute when small, but do grow rapidly and can be aggressive. Not a good community fish.

Me Again
    Hi again. Looks like I'm just going to have to wing it when I get to the fish store on Thursday. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Our first group went and got their fish last Thursday and we've already had two casualties.

If you want a good giggle, you can go to the blog that our fish have and take a look. http://ourfishtales.blogspot.com/

Thanks again,

Sheri

I remember when I use to work at GAP we had a Fish Tank in the Lobby. When 2001 came around and the towers went down I lost my job. I was so mad I went to petland bought a OSCAR and dropped it in the tank. Few days later I told all the fishes were gone except the oscar.

I'd recommend a silver tip shark, a ruby shark, or a pearl gourami.

Today's the Day
    Well, last week our tank got infected by Ick, so we didn't go shopping. That means that today is the day! I still don't know what I'm going to get. I'm hoping that some inspiration will come to me when I see the fish at the store that are available.

I'll let you know what I decide. Thank you again, for all of your suggestions and help trying to figure out what kind of fish I was trying to find. See my post above for the URL to our Fish Blog. It's pretty good for a laugh.

Sheri

Get a Beta Fish..
    soon he will be the ONLY fish in the tank..
    You can sit back and gloat about your fine WARRIOR FISH.. LOL

I'd pit an oscar against a beta any day. Super-heavyweight versus bantam weight.
    [LEFT]Scott :tartanber [URL=http://www.scotthamilton.net]My Vanity Page[/URL][/LEFT]

Beta would be eaten in one gulp by an Oscar. lol.
    I feed my oscards dead hamsters

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread