Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Guess what I noticed.
    A few merchants are beginning to make some changes to their terms concerning affiliates who use parasites.

They haven't announced the changes yet - but they're posted up on their sites.

Check the second one referenced below - DishPronto - I love it!!! I think Ben Edelmen should sign up as their affiliate... so he'll be eligible for the new reward program... go see it to understand... it's ground-breaking!

I can't wait for their Affiliate Managers to post the formal announcements and notify affs - to confirm I'm not just imagining this. It's like a dream!

See post #6 here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=56967

Guess what RapidSatellite just posted in their forum.
    Big news!
    We asked them to take a stand against parasites - and they have!!!

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=57059

This is great stuff!!!

bump...

RapidSatellite and DishPronto have both announced new terms where they will pay a bounty to their affiliates who report others who use parasites to cheat. This is really great news!

I only hope this is the beginning of a new trend that will catch on quickly. Merchants standing up for what's right and calling the terms for their programs, ignoring what some networks will tell them about advertisers and how software apps work.

Very good news!

Andy

Does this activity in the last 2 weeks count as a trend?

Timeline I've seen:

1) iDishnetwork.com tosses out the first card - new aff terms ban parasites.

2) Within hours (I think these guys ALL have each other's cell numbers), DishPronto.com and RapidSatellite.com simultaneously announce their new terms that ban parasites. They seriously TRUMP the landscape and offer a bounty to their affiliates who report cheaters!

(PS - Pronto emailed me today - confirmed payment to me for one reported cheater already! Payment in my next direct deposit! You have no idea how tickled I am! It ain't much, but it tastes sweeter than honey.)

3) iDishnetwork.com "sees their raise" and tacks on a bounty as well (it's posted there now - not exactly sure when it went up).

4) Today, I went in search of the aff terms other satellite merchants that I checked 2 weeks ago. AllSat.com has now thrown their hat in the ring.
    https://www.allsat.com/affiliateTerms.php
    (prediction... bounty to come later? or maybe sooner?)

ps - one major sat merchant terms aren't with the program yet - if you'Ve ever joined a satellite Merchant's program - you likely know whiCh one i mean.

In an honest arena, I welcome the competition.

You should RAPIDly sign up - and I mean PRONTO.

Support any of them and it'll spread.

ABW Ambassador

I like the allsat.com site. It is too bad they don't offer ISP service. I would definitely apply to become an affiliate if they did.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Ask them. Quite a few of the Dish folks have a partner or are considering it.

Guess what? It's spreading!

Kolimbo / Kowabunga is encouraging their merchants to go parasite-free like DishPronto:
    http://www.affiliatetip.com/blog/arc...t_go_away.html

Looks like Kowabunga merchants who choose to go this route may be getting a label they can use to know which ones have banned parasitic activity.

Good news!!

"If they add the appropriate language to their agreement, the program will be listed as "Anti-Spyware" in the Kolimbo network, meaning affiliates will immediately know their stance on this issue."

THis is good news!!!

i just hope that this changes will bring in more positive results

ABW Ambassador
    Where do we find Kolimbo's directory of merchants at? I know of one that is working
    with parasites, and want to make sure they don't get listed as being parasite-free.

Think you have to join the network and then log in to see the whole list of merchants.
    At kolimbo.com

They should make a list available - would get more affs to signup.

ABW Ambassador
    I've already joined the network. I was thinking they had a site where you could go
    to search their merchants without logging in, but maybe I was thinking of something
    else. Anyway, I've logged in and searched the merchants, there is a merchant I was
    promoting last year, they use myap for their affiliate program, but I don't see them
    listed in the directory anywhere. Are there some merchants using myap that aren't
    listed in the directory.

MyAp is the affiliate tracking software made by Kowabunga. As many merchants began to use it, Kowabunga built the Kolimbo network - a collection of merchants using MyAp. Not all merchants who use MyAp joined the Kolimbo network (I think mostly because it was new).

Many are now seeing affiliate recruiting getting a lot easier by virtue of paying a little more to upgrade from just MyAp to MyAp+Kolimbo. They've designed Kolimbo so that merchant still "owns" the relationship with the affiliate (unlike CJ, LinkShare where the network "owns" the relationship). So MyAp merchants can get the best of both worlds - high degree of affiliate control and contact - but network atmosphere to recruit new affs.

And I think that the affiliate recruiting aspect of Kolimbo will get even better for merchants once Kolimbo rolls out their new parasite-free label (that merchants can apply for, be tested initially and tested ongoing to remain qualified to stay on the golden list of clean merchants).

So I'd bet your merchant you're looking for is just using MyAp and hasn't joined Kolimbo. Contact them and ask them if they plan to join (cuz you'll be looking for them to also opt into the clean program dealio).

And I think if they remain out of Kolimbo, then the MyAp Software of that merchant (which may be hosted by the merchant, not Kowabunga), can't be accessed by Kowabunga for parasite testing on the back end database (one aspect of their cleanliness testing) - so I think those who remain out of Kolimbo, as MyAp only customers, won't be able to opt into the clean program thingy. So try and get your MyAp merchant into Kolimbo.

I was lucky - the merchants I use had already opted into Kolimbo to recruit affs, have Kowabunga do MyAp hosting, monitor traffic for other issues like security and backups and other collateral value Kowabunga can add by being their technology partner. Many MyAp merchants have moved into Kolimbo and I've never heard of one that then left Kolimbo - so ask your merchant to ask another MyAp+Kolimbo merchant how it's going (if your merchant is undecided). I bet the aff recruiting thing is all they need to hear about to decide to join Kolimbo.

I sound like a damn salesman for Kolimbo here (I'm not)... they should pay me (they don't). I've used MyAp merchants for years and LOVE their tracking software as an affiliate, but I'll tell you what, that parasite free thing they're brewing up is why I'm suddenly a big fan and talking them up.

They need to get more active here at ABestWeb - it would help them with power affiliate recruiting for Kolimbo by doing so. I think they need to get their own forum here: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76 (Other Ad Networks) at least!

As far as I can tell, they just post an occassional thread under the In-House or non-Big 3 programs here: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97
    They need to bump it up - make it the Big 4.

Last year, my Kolimbo merchants collectively paid me just over $122,000 in affiliate commissions. This year, over $41,000 already. They are definitely in my Big 4. And I've am SOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to their parasite-free dealio.
    Last edited by Donuts; April 29th, 2005 at 09:04 AM. Reason: parens typo

ABW Ambassador
    I no longer work with the merchant I am talking about, because they have
    180solutions as an affiliate, know it, and don't care. I just wanted to make sure
    they don't get listed in the directory as parasite free. But it looks like they must
    just be using the myap software and haven't joined the network. Although when
    I was using them, I had to login to http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/intrigue/login.htm
    to access my stats, so at least that part is hosted by myaffiliateprogram.
    myaffiliateprogram.com is the same as myap, isn't it? Yes, I think it must be, because
    I got a thank you letter from the Kolimbo network for joining after joining
    this merchant.

Yep, it is my understanding that if you sign up with a MyAp merchant, who has opted to also be in the Kolimbo network, that you are also then signed up into Kolimbo as an affiliate. So I think your bad player merchant you mentioned is in Kolimbo. Once they roll out the p-free program, you can see whether they make the p-free list or not - and then PM me and we can test that merchant (or test them yourself if you want) and we can see if the merchant changed their ways or if the Kolimbo p-free label is working or not.

I think Kolimbo is serious about the issue and the label to come, but we'll see.

Anyhow, here's news of their announcement to their merchants about it to come:
    http://www.affiliatetip.com/blog/arc...t_go_away.html

ABW Ambassador
    This merchant has more than one product, and I did finally find them listed under
    another product, but not the one I was promoting. But if a merchant is allowing
    a parasite with one of their products, I would think that should stop them from
    getting the parasite free label with all of their products.

I just wanted to let everyone know that this approach seems to be working. In just a couple days we've already had 7 merchants add the new agreement language, and several others who have emailed me for more information.

Better still, we received an email from an affiliate who had a spreadsheet of some MYAP merchants that were infected with 180. I don't think he would have taken the time to email us were it not for the approach we took, so that's really encouraging. I'll be contacting those merchants today to follow up. A quick check showed me that none of these affiliates had clearly marked themselves as using 180 or coming from 180/MetricsDirect, so the merchants were probably not even aware they were in their program. This is becoming more common, unfortunately.

If any of you have any information about MYAP/Kolimbo merchants that are infected, you can either contact the merchant or email ben at kolimbo.com. While we can't guarantee that the merchant will reward you for the find (most merchants haven't added the language yet), it will certainly help the merchant stay clean and, more importantly, cut off another source of revenue for spyware.

I'm working with other various third parties to try to find other, more centralized solutions for this. Your ideas are always welcome, of course; you can email me at jeff at kowabunga.com. Keep up the good work, guys.

--Jeff

ABW Ambassador
    Jeff,

I've sent you a PM with a screenshot.

waybar -- Apparently I can't see PM's until I have 50 posts, can you email me at jeff at kowabunga.com?

ABW Ambassador
    The email has been sent.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread