What Should We Do..? Other Options?
    It seems that we as affilaite marketers are NEVER going to get any where with the "Networks" as far as parasites / adware / commission stealing.

So what would be another option that we could try?
    What could we try to do as a community that doesn't involve the NETWORKS who stand behind this type of activity?

Personally I think "ONLINE" shoppers are "ONLINE" shoppers.
    In other words they shop online regularly... They are repeat shoppers..
    maybe not OUR repeat shoppers but they buy stuff online on a regular basis.

Should we try to EDUCATE THEM on this type of activity instead? I think a lot of people are tired of BIG BUSINESSES screwing the little people of the world. Does anyone here think that trying to EDUCATE THE MASSES would be a better way to STOP THIS CRAP ..?? If they KNEW what they were doing MAYBE THEY would stop using the "TOOLBARS and PARASITE - ADWARE"...

ANY OTHER OPINIONS...???

Internet Cowboy
    The thing for us to do is to use as many indy programs as possible and try to ween ourselves from dependency on the networks. If you have a merchant who is with the networks, call them and ask if they have an in-house program. If they don't, make a strong argument as to why they should. This will be easy to do with the rash of silliness that the networks are dishing out lately.
    Kolimbo is quickly emerging as a place to concentrate on too. They seem to be lightyears ahead of the other networks in thier technology and in their willingness to listen to input from affiliates.

SSanf - You figurin on postin sumthin..? Or you to ignernt?
    LOL

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sounds like the real merchants need a Indy Network ...more then they need a Indy program. You know one where the online shoppers can immediately excape from the gorilla marketers, phoney incents, privacy peddlers and hucksters posing as merchants. Something like a real world OutletMall alongside the Infohighway. One stop shopping destination for all the best bargains where "What You See ...Is What You Get".

A place where pick pockets and street corner/Backalley Hustlers have no chance with a Gotcha Ya! That would entice repeat shoppers to the better brand real deals without jumping thru hoops to get a variety of choices on everything on their shopping list. Impulsive obcessive shoppers are encouraged alongside normal impulsive buyers safely knowing any anoying popup is just a uninvited trickster.

Those getting paid commissions for driving shoppers to this Indy Network Mall need complete assurances no merchant there won't pay them upon completing a sale. No shopper going there should come away feeling fleeced. The merchants in a competitive OUTLET situation know their best name brand deals are all that really sell well, due to the price and limited QTY selection causing a shoppers sense of urgency.

Sounds like a Shoppers Utopia and a Safe Haven for merchants and affiliates too.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Well I was thinking more along the lines of educating the visitors about ADWARE SPYWARE PARASITES and other crap.. so they would know how to avoid this type of stuff rather than "THINKING" the adware / shopping ToolBars are a GOOD THING..

Let them know that ALL these "TOOLS" are SCAMS to get commissions from honest people... "If any one thinks their helping school kids buy more books" - LET THEM KNOW THE "KIDS" ARE NOT GETTING A DIME FROM ANYONE...

MAYBE - if shoppers uninstalled all this crap on their OWN and knew NOT to allow that stuff on their PCs EVER AGAIN. There would be no need for a NEW ONE.. the old ones have all be uninstalled...

Who knows??
    I was just trying to get a thread going on NEW ways to get the word out rather than focusing on the NETWORKS which is a total waste of time..

BUT when it comes down to actually DOING something.. it "SEEMS" it really doesn't bother anyone at all.. so why the fuss..??

There has got to be some way we can do something. Between every single person on ABESTWEB -- I'll bet we control A LOT more traffic than people give us credit for.. With that traffic EDUCATE THE MASSES..

Unless of course everyone has come to terms with COMMISSION THEFT and it has just become a part of doing business online.. which is very sad.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Educate the masses who get infested by every P2P network enabling free music/movie copying...LOL. Educating some 11 year old not to download that new screensaver, nifty game, or the Kwell skin for his/her AIM chat program. That's not taking in the millions of attempts daily by the BHO Adwhore pimps doing drive-bys for infestation fees. Get real and get educated yourself there Addhandler.

One prominent notice on every merchant page notifying the referral shoppers they receive no reward/rebate/discount from any interlopers popup is all the education necessary to tell them they have a case of Adwhore STDs. Plce a link for a free scan and some recommended downloads next to the notice. Hell place linkswithin the SHN Outlet Mall to where they can buy legit Anti-virus Anti-spyware/adware detect removal tools and give commission credit for pushing the best of the best passing the Mike & Charlie smell test. That means no bogus BHO removal programs allowed for sale in a Outlet Shop....period.

Make it impossible for any BHO or popup traffic hijacker to earn a dime on sales generated from the Indy Network Mall. Since your throwing out bait and rants right and left "Addhandler" put on your thinking cap and try to find holes in this Indy Network model... www.ecomcity.com/safehaven-network.htm
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    If every affiliate put up a page about adware prominently on one their sites, about how it crashes your pc and what you can do to get rid of it, I think customers will eventually get the picture.

Be careful not to recommend a spyware remover that deletes your tracking cookie as well as parasitic apps.

I heard that microsoft spyware remover is good.

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    SSanf - You figurin on postin sumthin..? Or you to ignernt?
    LOL
    OT - what the he!! is up with you picking on SSanf?

Not my biz but just wondering what's your problem?
    Ebudae

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I realize this is probably a stupid idea or somebody would have already come up with it. However, it seems like somebody who is a really good programmer should be able to come up with some sort of script that would block parasites from being able to react to our pages. In other words a spyblocker that we could build into our pages themselves.

Of course for such an approach to work it would be necessary to get merchants to adopt it or the parasites would still reappear as soon as the shopper clicked through to the merchant page.

I suppose such programming would be impossible though?.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    I think doxdesk has something you could use.

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

There is a script that detects whether the user has parasites and displays a message if the user's pc is infected.

ecomcity - I just read your page. I guess it is starting to make a little more sense to me now. You've been posting about this here since 2000 and it's still going as strong as ever. Forgive me for bringing up a soar subject. I guess if so many have ranted on and on since 2000 or probably WAY earlier than that.. it's a waste of my time. So I'll just do what I can to survive. I appreciate all your wisdom - Thanks!

Ebudae - I wasn't picking on SSanf at all. AND I HOPE SSanf didn't take it that way. I just told SSanf earlier that I LOVED the back hills talk written out in english.. it's funny as hell - I was actually rolling.. Easy there Killer...

OK - I'll just shut-up now..

Problem is that online shoppers don't WANT us to get commissions. Either they are neutral or in some cases, they are activly against it. Are you aware that there are a lot of people who will click through your link to find who the merchant is and then go clear their cookies and follow that by typing the merchant site into the web browser just so you won't get a commission? Many, many people resent anyone making money off their surfing or they believe the internet should be free. Or, they believe you are somehow spying on them if you are an affiliate and it is you who are responsible for spam. Or, they think if we did not put up pages, they would have found the merchant on their own. So many things that one can't "cypher" what is in their heads.

But, the last thing they want is to think that they are NOT helping schools and charities. That is how they justify being too lazy to get off their butts and go to the store where it would cost the same or less and they wouldn't have added S & H. If they can't justify the "goodness" of shopping on line, they then have to admit many of the prices are outlandish, that they are running up credit card debt and adding additional cost in the form of interest to their purchase and that they are idiots for shopping on line because if they bought everything locally and paid cash they would probably have 30% more purchasing power.

The consummer is the least likely to help. The only argument that might actually work with them is if you convince them that the tool bars and savings programs are messing up their computers. Legislation is the best bet.

And, to my fans, please understand that I do not read every single ABW thread.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Ebudae,

There's been quite a bit of joking around about ignernt people lately. Other than the original post, I think all the rest are in jest.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

as more and more computers are bought for households and come with Windows XP, I think more users (and us) will get the benefit of MS's antispyware, etc.

trying to educate _some_ consumers just throws them into a panic.

What if we develop our own BHO / Toolbar or something, maintained by ABW, who
    I think is considered the 'safe haven for the good affiliates' and trustworthy.
    Something that will auto-remove any spyware, pop-ups, BHO's, etc, etc.
    If a toolbar/BHO/spyware etc tries to re-write the affiliate id, this will put it back to what it should be.

A 'good' BHO - (what's that word when u put two opposites together...)
    and allow the real affiliates to earn their commission..... perhaps if we work together
    with the networks to develop it, this such BHO can be another method of tracking
    to make sure the right affiliate gets the commission.
    (instead of cookies?)

This might sound like a really bad idea. Or a good one. I'm just poking around at ideas because we do need to eliminate parasites.

If we all spread it on our sites, perhaps even contact microsoft about setting it up as an addition to their next updates (like update to their spyware removal tool).

Just an idea.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread