ABW Ambassador
    site or domain banned from google?
    with the last update my site disappeared from SERPs and everything I did to rank it again did not work.Yesterday, occasionally I did a search for some obscure keywords and with that words my site appears on rank 80. Today I retried that search and the site and all pages disappeared now.
    Do you think that my site is banned or is the whole domain banned? Whatever page I added to google, it appears and the other day it disappears.

roland

I assume you are talking about Google. Google has been periodically switching datacenters throughout the day. I've seen six different datacenters rotate through the Phoenix, AZ area. With the new rankings algorithms, each datacenter can display a different rank positions. It's not unusual for a top 10 rank to be at number 350 in one or more datacenters.

You need to keep checking the site throughout the day. The easiest way to see which datacenter is displaying is use the Google toolbar. Click on the Information button and view the cached page (if there is one). The IP address in the address window identifies the datacenter.

Here's some useful information to help determine if your site has been banned.

Linking to Bad Neighborhoods and Penalized Sites

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks

If you type in your complete url, www. mydomain .com, etc., and it appears in the results, you're not banned. At least that's what I've been told. If it doesn't show up, you have a problem.

I know it's hard, but I wouldn't worry too much right now about Google. There seems to be a problem, in my opinion. Last night I did a very specific search, I know there are pages out there that should be listed, and the results that came back had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my very specific search. Just a bunch a gibberish sites that made no sense whatsoever.

I retried later, and got the same results, but this morning I am finding relevant sites listed.

"Mountain View, I think we have a problem..."

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    My problem is differrent. My site dissapeared from the SERPS for the regular keywords. But I have some very unique keyphrases on my pages so I did a search for them and they returned good positions. After 1 h I retried that search and then all pages were gone. I repeated that with other keywords and keyphrases and got the same result. Listed, and after the search disappeared. My site is indexed in google. I only can imagine that my site is penalized or my host is penalized. But how can I find that out?.

roland

It can be very difficult to determine the reason for a penalty, unless there is obvious evidence of spam or other techniques that G frowns upon. When I work on a site that appears to be penalized, I check about a hundred different issues that have the potential to create a penalty situation.

The problem you describe happened to a lot of site owners who had an excessive number of links pointed to a site that all focused on a single keyword phrase. The guy who held the top position for "SEO" disappeared from G, as did the guy who held #1 for "SEO book". Each had over 100,000 links to their site using their primary keyword phrase.

I realize that this is probably not your situation, but the last G updates focused upon a lot of linking issues. Here are a few other linking issues to check.

A single link to a banned site will get your site penalized. Be careful who you link to. Link exchange programs where you do not have absolute control over
    who you link to are dangerous.

Purchasing site-wide links (a link on most pages of a site to your site) is also dangerous.

Duplicate content continues to plague many site owners. If you have unique content, look for other sites who may have copied your content. If your content is not unique, change it so that it is unique.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Google is cracking down on over optimizing.
    ... If you try to make the "perfect" site, you might see Google knock your site down.
    ... If it does, you have probably over optimized your site. ...
    www.searchengineu.com/members/180.cfm

(You have to login to view but it is worth it..)

There's a thing called the "sandbox " which is a penalty that can impact newish sites - basically if your inbound link growth is too great you can get penalised.

Andy is right about that test.. Google for mydomain.+com and you should be #1 always unless there's a penalty.

And of course, check your PageRank. If you've got a PR0 then that is almost definitely a penalty.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If you've got a PR0 then that is almost definitely a penalty.
    EXCEPTION: If the site in question is new, the toolbar may not show any PR for quite some time (until they re-update whatever database the toolbar pulls its PR info from).

Also an "old" site can have PR < 1 (showing 0) due to a lack of links-in. If a site's only got a couple of links from low PR pages, it can show PR0 even without a penalty.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread