New domain or site-within-a-site
    I feel I should know the answer to this one, but I can't see the wood for the trees and keep going around in circles.

I have a site that sells travel amongst other things. It is oriented to the destination and does pretty well in its purpose. The merchant I use (an in-house programme) persuaded me - well ok I volunteered - to put up a section dedicated to a new (for me) destination. The destinations are very much once-in-a-lifetime for most people and the pages include a lot of information and details. Initially I put up the new destination as a sub-section of the original site in a new folder hoping it would be dragged up by the original site PR and SE listings. The new sub-section hasn't yet been fully indexed (after about 6 weeks) and has a current Google PR0.

Do I leave it as it is, or do I detach the new destination in its current sub-section and put it on a new domain? The sub-section is about 50 pages and could grow to another 10-20 more.

Talking
    I added a new merchant to my site in a new folder and Google indexed it.

You do have a link from your original pages to your new pages don't you?

The search engines follow links and will not find the new folder unless you have links to it. The more links - the quicker they will find it.

Forest for the trees
    Initially I put up the new destination as a sub-section of the original site in a new folder hoping it would be dragged up by the original site PR and SE listings. The new sub-section hasn't yet been fully indexed (after about 6 weeks) and has a current Google PR0.
    This might be stating the obvious, but do you have a site map cross-indexed with all your site pages?

The bots eat 'em up.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Thanks for the replies. Yes the sub-site is all fully cross linked and is indexed in Google, I'm guessing it will get a PR at the next update.

My question I guess is - do I leave it like this long term as it sort of fits to the content of the site it's on at a stretch, or do I set it up as a stand alone bearing in mind that I probably won't add to it or tinker with it much after just a few more pages have been added? Is it best to be part of a super-site (relatively) or a smaller, finely targetted niche?

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Paul,

I'd vote for the new domain myself. Nice to have your eggs seperated among various baskets I've discovered. Plus, it may make it easier to get inbound links from other sites instead of having it buried within another site.

One thing that has been talked about is the Google Sandbox - where they don't rank new sites for a given ammount of time. (I have seen all kinds of numbers from 6 months to longer) So, you might want to take that into consideration.

Good Luck!
    Ebudae

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread