More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Question How Much To Sell a Domain For?
    I got an offer for a domain name I have - I was asked to name a price. I have pretty much "branded" this site name and I am making about $250 to $300 per month on the site.

Frankly, I think the name is worth way more to me than what any person would pay for it. I see a lot of growth for this site as well so it could be up to $500 per month 6 mo down the line. It's also sort of my "baby" if there could be such a thing w.r.t websites.

Any thoughts on this?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    First and foremost....everyday the site will get stronger and earn more online credibility.

So the 2 to 3 hundred can easily grow to 5 to 6 hundred

So if you factor in all the factors...let money talk and make the decision

Are we talking like thousands and thousands or a couple hundred bucks?

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I got an offer for a domain name I have - I was asked to name a price. I have pretty much "branded" this site name and I am making about $250 to $300 per month on the site.

Frankly, I think the name is worth way more to me than what any person would pay for it. I see a lot of growth for this site as well so it could be up to $500 per month 6 mo down the line. It's also sort of my "baby" if there could be such a thing w.r.t websites.

Any thoughts on this?
    I think you just answered your own question, huh? Why sell if it's worth more to you than what is (or expected to be) offered?

Kay

Internet Cowboy
    It has been my experience to NEVER tell someone how much you want for a domain.
    If they approached you, they want it. Unless you are hard up for the $$, you are in the driver's seat.
    Tell them to make you an offer to see what they are thinking. If you say $5000 and they would have offered $10,000, you lose. If you say $5000 and they wanted it for $300, you have wasted your time.
    You giving them a price puts them in control, therefore giving them an advantage.

If you like the domain that much, don't sell it. Keep developing it and earn more than you would from the sale.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm glad this thread came up. I was just contacted too. The person didn't say much, just a one-line notice of interest... And it's one of my oldest doms, too. I wonder if it's someone looking to build a portfolio of "established" names...

I think I'll take Scohaz's advice... I like the name, but almost all my domains are always for sale if the price is right!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Given the fast-changing nature of the Internet, my rule-of-thumb is to multiply the monthly income by 12 if I am a buyer. But as a seller I would never sell one of my sites so cheaply, because I know I can maintain the profits for more than another year.

ABW Ambassador
    Watch out for the scam where they tell you to get it appraised, and of course one of the places they suggest is their own services. I have found 90% of unsolicited offers to purchase a domain are complete BS.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    It has been my experience to NEVER tell someone how much you want for a domain.
    If they approached you, they want it. Unless you are hard up for the $$, you are in the driver's seat.
    Tell them to make you an offer to see what they are thinking. If you say $5000 and they would have offered $10,000, you lose. If you say $5000 and they wanted it for $300, you have wasted your time.
    You giving them a price puts them in control, therefore giving them an advantage.
    Good advice! I sort of figured it was best not to dangle any price out there. Besides, once I give a price, I could be possibly obligated to sell (if pressured by some high-price lawyer).

Just for the heck of it I may ask this party to make an offer.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread