ABW Ambassador
    Not good enough, so Nordstrom's loss is nobody's gain
    Anyone ever hear that when people search for a very specific, very popular, well-known and publicized niche brand of merchandise by name they usually convert? Especially when there is NO competition online?

I ended up with just such a listing at one of the 2 major search engines - right up top, right under the manufacturer's site.

Traffic all day, every day for that one page (which is a fluke probably, I didn't actually intend to promote it), searched on very specifically, by product and by brand name - and nothing to do with it. Adsense doesn't even run ads for it because it's an exclusive that few stores carry.

Nordstrom's has it, and it's hot especially right now seasonally because of the target niche market - but I got an automatic, immediate turndown when applying, more than once. I guess us peons with small sites aren't good enough to send our HIGHLY TARGETED traffic to the likes of some "high-falootin" stores.

BTW, I sent over $2,600 in sales to a merchant on a luxury product on one of my crappy little non-Nordstrom's quality pages because of an ad run in Oprah magazine. And that was short term, only for a few weeks. This stuff is all-year-round stuff - and well advertised (on TV regularly, I understand) all year round. And it's very expensive consumables, too.

(Note: Any Nordstrom's affs around who do women's stuff? I will GIVE you that traffic for SPITE.)

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Sometimes you get denied automatically, just as you get approved automatically.

The best thing to do is to either call the affiliate manager or send an email to them, I can assure you that they will not deny you.

It used to piss me off tremendously, I wouldnt take it so personally

Linkshare is made up of lil sites like yours and you all add up, so you are an important piece of the puzzle for them....Call them and ask for affiliate support.

Otherwise stay passionate and good luck

M

Check to see if Amazon has it.
    Ebudae

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    (Note: Any Nordstrom's affs around who do women's stuff? I will GIVE you that traffic for SPITE.)
    I am, and I do. Just got approved for them yesterday, surprisingly. You shouldn't let it bother you. I'm sure you do just fine without them!!

~Lisa~

Yeah, it sucks to get dissed by a merchant or an AM. But it motivates me to do even better with a competing program. :-)

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    webworker,

The am's name is Mollie - pm if you need her email.

They asked me (actually, they emailed my ex-partner's son!) - I turned them down.

Hi Dan,

My account manager at Linkshare provided me with your contact information as a potential affiliate. In reviewing your site, I have a few questions...please see below:

1. Where/how would you present Nordstrom on your site?

2. How do you drive traffic to your site?

3. Does your site have any kind of a download?

4. Does your site partner with any 3rd party publishers?

I look forward to your response - thanks!

Mollie

Affiliate Manager

I responded to Nordstoms AND Linkshare - neither of course ever replied:

LINKSHARE AFFILIATE SUPPORT:
    Why - after a year of us complaining, and at least two formal Better Business Bureau complaints, is the merchant rep for Nordstroms giving out the personal/non business email address of my ex-partner's son to merchants???

Please forward confirmation that this merchant rep will ONLY use the information we provide in the Linkshare interface.

NORDSTROMS
    You're on a network that doesn't know the contact information of it's affiliates, doesn't know how much they even paid their affiliates, doesn't know how to successfully get the right commission check to the right affiliate - and countless other problems... so to answer your question "How would we promote you?" - we wouldn't.

Bill Knoblach
    President/The Mail Order Shoppe

I contacted Mollie early last year and she was interested in discussing my approval. We set up a time and date for her to call me so we could talk over the phone. I set aside of part of my day to await her call and she never contacted me. Worse yet she stopped responding to my emails and disregarded me compeltely. I've never experienced a program more rude and inconsiderate than Nordstroms.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I don't even like promoting clothing merchants online as you dont usually make that much.

You have to do huge volumes...to make it worth while.

Giving out your info is just wrong.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    I don't even like promoting clothing merchants online as you dont usually make that much.
    - - - - -

Once you generate decent sales for 6 months or so, ask for a raise. Sometimes it seems like the network commission rate for a merchant is like a 'list price' for a car - it's negotiable, if you've got the sales to back up your inquiry. Be polite, and mention that a higher rate would alow you to promote their products more...

kay elbow.....My Jedi Master...Couple Questions...

1.What would you consider Decent Sales
    2.If they are currently maxing out say at 5%...What should I request If I made those numbers..
    3.What happens if the friggin AM's dont take my calls again

LOL

M

ABW Ambassador
    My best guess is that automatic turn-downs for programs are because of sites not matching up to minimum traffic levels required by some merchants.

>>I don't even like promoting clothing merchants online as you dont usually make that much.
    >>You have to do huge volumes...to make it worth while.

I kind of fell into clothing by accident after switching a drop-ship site over to affiliate. What I look for from merchants is consistency.

Clothing is one of the most shopped (or browsed) type of items online and also one of the more competitive for a mid-competitive type of market, where the returns for time spent aren't very much, if only because there are SO many places people can buy clothes.

But I go more for targeting than volume, going by what I've gathered about shopping habits over time. So I guess I'll always get automatic turn-downs.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Last year, one apparel site raised my commission from 5% to 8%, just from me asking..... I generated about 30K in sales for them the previous year. Similar stories from different markets. I don't usually ask for an increase unless I think they aren't competitive, and I'm selling 20K-30K a year of stuff for them.... Earning 5% for a year sounds like a waste of time, maybe, but I figure this takes time, and I'm in it for the long run. Lots of folks won't even look at a program that pays less than a 10% commission, which is fine, but there are other factors, how clean the program is, cookie duration, etc. I don't just look at commisson %.

I think I should start asking then when I hit those levels

Is there any where I can look to gauge what numbers affiliates hit?

Let me know

ABW Ambassador
    >>Is there any where I can look to gauge what numbers affiliates hit?

I seriously doubt that those numbers would be openly divulged, but my guess would be that consistency is a factor.

Like I've got one CJ merchant with 5 sales in April from just one link on just one page of a small site. That tells me that this merchant converts with my particular crowd for that site, but the figure doesn't tell about the site overall, or about that merchant in particular as far as how they do for other affiliates overall. All I know is that they work for me on that site, so I'll put them on all pages I can and if the trend continues, will contact them to see about anything further.

No merchant will give you a rise,
    unless you are doing the business !!..

..that's true.
    but once you are $$$,
    we then appreciate that you are worth keeping.

you make money = we make money = affiliate partners
    More % % % for you
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Webworker,

Like Ebudae said, check if the item you want to promote is at Norstrom's Amazon store.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread