The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Question Step up or a step back?
    As you guys know my sites 'sells' amung other things cow themed gifts. I have an opportunity to move out of the affiliate world and start selling actual products. Since there is a 50% markup on the products, this means that instead of making 12% as an affiliate, I'll be making 50% as a salesperson. But now I havw the the worries of inventory, collecting payment, putting orders together and shipping them etc.

The question is, is this a step up for an affiliate or a step down? I always loved telling people, I just set up websites and get checks. Now I'll be able to explain what I do and people will understand me. I can say I sell product A over the internet. What do you guys think, if given an opportunity to actually become a conventional online business with a product you know is profitable, would you do it or just continue the affiliate game?

Mike

I would do both. I would find a way to intergrate the two together. You already have skills and the knowledge.

I intergrated my normal business with my affiliate business. Even though it is tough some days, I can do both.

Otherwise, go with the money. 50% return is good money. Also, you can now start hiring you fellow affiliates to help.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You have a themed niche' traffic flow already. Moo Cow figurines and thingies should sell when hyped by cartoons and content like cowboy jokes and Cowfart MP3 give-aways. No brainer when a shopping cart add-in to your own site is a cheap expense. Start with some giftware supplier and forget the fiction they won't sell to just anyone with a Tax ID#. They will!

Case in point on capturing existing sales traffic for a new product line introduction. Yesterday morning I uploaded a new line at www.suspenders.com/du_jacquard.htm and today there are 2 orders for those ready to be shipped.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I agree with Darkstar... If at all, possible I'd recomend you do both....

I would not call it a step up... but rather a step sideways and forward at the same time...

Having a store is different then Affiliate Marketing as merchant you are taking all the risk... so you should get more of the pie...

I personally tried the merchant rout... I like being an Affiliate Marketer better... because it is generally less stressful... "except of coarse when one of the major SEs does an update..." which doesn't bother me all that much... because I have so many sites... some will drop and some will rise... as long as the income is there that's all that matters....

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    OK, I'll explain what happened. Besides the site you know (or don't) I also own a site called moochandise. It was designed to sell cow parade gifts for another site (lets call it woody.com, not its name) which I didn't own. I made whatever percentage I made.

Anyway, in the last 12 months moochandise was responsible for $11K in gross sales. So when the owner of the other site, said he sold his brick and morter site and that the new owner didn't want his online business, I had to make a decision. 1) I could just move all my afiliate links to funtocollect or gocollect (the 2 big affiliate merchants of cow parade gifts) or 2) I could start selling my own cow parade items. This is what I am doing, I'm going it alone. I negotiated to obtain woody.com and will now sell the cow parade gifts by myself and as such I can keep all the profits, not just x percent of the revenues.

Mike

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread