Question Mysterious Nightly Deductions?
    This has been happening for several nights in a row now. Let's assume that the "Monthly Commission Earned" on the CJ home page yesterday was $1,000. Let's assume that the commission earned yesterday was $100. Then the "Monthly Commission Earned" today should be $1,100, right. It is'nt. For several days in a row there is a discrepancy. There is always an amount missing. For today, this amount for us is exactly $18.55. Why is this happening? Does it happen to anyone else? Is there something that we are missing?
    Thanks!

huhu

I haven't had anything "mysterious" happen, but the situation you describe is quite possible if there are returns posted overnight from previous days in the month. Have you looked at the transaction report to see if that's the case?

Of course I have, muddyboots. No returns/reversals whatsoever. This happens between 12:00 and 2:00 PDT.

huhu

Quote Originally Posted by huhu
    This has been happening for several nights in a row now. Let's assume that the "Monthly Commission Earned" on the CJ home page yesterday was $1,000. Let's assume that the commission earned yesterday was $100. Then the "Monthly Commission Earned" today should be $1,100, right. It is'nt. For several days in a row there is a discrepancy. There is always an amount missing. For today, this amount for us is exactly $18.55. Why is this happening? Does it happen to anyone else? Is there something that we are missing?
    Thanks!

huhu

You got me thinking, so I did my own little analysis since January and found that I am short a total of $1.48. Not sure what that could be, and nor do I care. To do the same analysis, just add up all your extended sales from December, then total up all transactions from Jan to now (don't use the performance report function, add them up month by month) and subtract payments received in February, March, and April. That should match the balance shown at the top of your account manager. Keep in mind if you have activity throughout the day that the balance will be delayed sometimes.

I saw a couple like that concluded the problem was that the sale time and the posting time straddled midnight, so the final commission didn't show up in the day's results I would have expected it to.

Would that explain what you're seeing?

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Maybe a conspiracy here.......But more likely returns and bad orders

What if there is a dishonest employee quietly diverting commissions to their own site?
    Believe it ,this could happen. What I don't understand is do merchants get a complete breakdown of where commissions are going and to who? Do they not verify them via email ? I know I would if I was a merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketguyz
    You got me thinking, so I did my own little analysis since January and found that I am short a total of $1.48.
    That amount probably has something to do with rounding. I've noticed that happening a lot with merchants that pay percentages other than 5%, 10% 15%, etc.

For instance, one of my merchants pays 6%. If you take each individual sale and multiply them individually by 6%, then add the commissions together, you will come out with a total that is more than it is when you first add all the sales together and then multiply by 6%.

One month I had 248 sales with that merchant. When I multiply each individual sale by 6%, and then add it all together, my commissions were $892.93. However, when I take the total sales of $14,876.73 and multiply it by 6% I get $892.60 (which is the amount CJ paid me).

It looks like when commissions are calculated at the end of the month, CJ totals all the sales, and then multiplies by the commission rate, which makes the commission slightly lower. If you have a lot of sales, and quite a few merchants paying percentages other than those divisible by 5, then it can add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    That amount probably has something to do with rounding. I've noticed that happening a lot with merchants that pay percentages other than 5%, 10% 15%, etc.

For instance, one of my merchants pays 6%. If you take each individual sale and multiply them individually by 6%, then add the commissions together, you will come out with a total that is more than it is when you first add all the sales together and then multiply by 6%.

One month I had 248 sales with that merchant. When I multiply each individual sale by 6%, and then add it all together, my commissions were $892.93. However, when I take the total sales of $14,876.73 and multiply it by 6% I get $892.60 (which is the amount CJ paid me).

It looks like when commissions are calculated at the end of the month, CJ totals all the sales, and then multiplies by the commission rate, which makes the commission slightly lower. If you have a lot of sales, and quite a few merchants paying percentages other than those divisible by 5, then it can add up.
    Cool... thanks, that makes sense. I've noticed that commissions on $19.98 sales times, say, 25% equal $5, when it's really slightly less. Added up over time and it's easy to see the discrepency.

Quote Originally Posted by findawebhost
    I had a commission yesterday that shows up in my reports but not in my balance.
    The reason it wasn't showing up is because it was corrected (Unqualified Lead) a couple hours after the sale.

Yea, I called CJ about this because it was happening a lot in my ebay sales. CJ told me they can discover that the buy had a cookie in their cache that was older than mine, so the sale goes to the other website that set the cookie in there before mine. I think that's bad....if the sale came from my site the commision should go to me, but that's the way they do it.

That doesn't sound right. I thought it was the last click, not the older click, that gets credit for the sale since the last click is what motivated the purchase.

Precisely... Todd, is that bad info given out by the CJ rep?

Also, if what SAL said were true, then we wouldn't be having all this trouble with parasites overwriting existing cookies. Of course, in those instances the parasites are just stealing the commission because they don't actually do anything to motivate the sale ... they just out-right steal by overwriting the cookie.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread