Quick Question Please.
    Hello,

I am new to this forum (very glad I found it btw). I just downloaded the trial version of Webmerge a couple of days ago.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.3.9

I created my index template and a details template and a very basic txt file to get my "feet wet".

I understand how things are working, but my problem is when I go into the demo and click on the radio button specify a index template versus having webmerge automatically create one.

When I try to select the index or details files, they are grayed out and won't allow me to select either.

Am I doing something wrong or is this supposed to be this way in the demo?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am very excited about this program and its possibilities.

Affiliate Manager
    > When I try to select the index or details files, they are grayed out and
    > won't allow me to select either.

This is a known issue with OS X, in which their NavSevices fails to honor the filter criteria passed to it for files which have no Finder type code. Apple could provide a single fix for this in the OS, but instead their position is that every developer must reproduce that effort themselves for each file type they support in every application they write.

Our fix is in development now, and we expect to be able to post a version with that addressed within a couple weeks. It would be sooner but it's not been a very prevalent problem: many of our customers are still using Classic, and the issue only affects files which have no Finder type code associated with them. Since most Mac apps save with Finder info, this issue is limited to the subset of files coming from other OSes.

While I'm working on that, a workaround is already in place in the version you have: Just hold down the Option key when selecting any control that brings up the file selection dialog, and that dialog will let you select any file.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Thank you!

I started reading your reply and I have to admit, at first my heart sank thinking I was going to have to wait for the fix, but I just tried the workaround with the Option key and it worked without a problem.

Affiliate Manager
    It gets even better soon: I'll be adding drag-and-drop support on both platforms so you can drop files into the relevant areas in the program.
    Richard Gaskin

Great! I'll be looking forward to it.

One more quick question, though. In the demo version, there is a check box to either include or not include "Built by Webmerge"

I had it unchecked, yet it still included it on the pages. Is this just unique to the demo?

Affiliate Manager
    Yep, it's for the demo only. I don't mind if folks use it for free to <20-page sites (many do), but I do like a little linkage in exchange.
    Richard Gaskin

O.K.. Thanks!

When I get my first site up, I'll be sure to become an affiliate and add a nice review and link.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread