ABW Ambassador
    Question Does 'domain seeding' still work?
    In the past, whenever I've purchased a new domain and set up a new site I've found that a couple of links from my older sites to the new site soon leads the bots in the right direction.

This time around the bots seem to have absolutely no interest in following these links

Is anybody else seeing this sort of behaviour?

Or have I just fallen into a massive SE black hole?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A couple of times, I've had to put the new links higher up on the page. If they're buried under 500 other links they may just be missed...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Hmmm...we have done this on a few sites and it has worked fine. I agree with Leader - they may just have been missed.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

You may encounter (with Google at least) an "affiliated sites" issue if you link to every new site from the same set of sites every time.

Try just one or two links from your existing sites, one or two links from quality sites that sell text links, and a handful of link exchanges. That's usually enough to get a site off to a pretty good start.

You will get into trouble with Google for interlinking sites on the same IP address C-class. The C-class is the first three groups of numbers in an IP address. If the C-class is the same, it's a dead givaway the the sites are all on the same server. It's worse when you are sharing the exact same IP address with all the sites.

If you need to get links to your site, there are LOTS of free directories out there.

Domain Seeding
    If Google penalizes links originating from the same class c ip address set, why not take advantage of the free webhosting offered in the "exclusive offers" section?
    Throw up a related theme with some affiliate links, and link to your other websites from there!

I'm just now trying out a new strategy..check it out at this thread http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=57362

I haven't gotten any measureable results yet, but I've only been doing this a short while. But, what the hey. It didn't cost anything ;-)
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    You will get into trouble with Google for interlinking sites on the same IP address C-class. The C-class is the first three groups of numbers in an IP address. If the C-class is the same, it's a dead givaway the the sites are all on the same server. It's worse when you are sharing the exact same IP address with all the sites.

If you need to get links to your site, there are LOTS of free directories out there.
    I don't agree with you, the big giants do interlinking, so do I, and my site is doing well on Google, I stand on 1st position on many competetive keywords.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    You may encounter (with Google at least) an "affiliated sites" issue if you link to every new site from the same set of sites every time.
    That hasn't been my experience with G. I routinely drop in a link to new sites where the two are related. All being on the same server.

I don't do two-way linking though. Just from the established site to the new one(s).

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

I should clarify my statement. You can get into trouble for "excessive interlinking" among sites on the same C-Class IP address. It's generally okay to provide a few links to a new site on the same C-Class IP, but G is penalizing sites that mix lots of links between two or more different sites. A lot of site owners were forming their own web rings to boost their link popularity. That's what G is penalizing. This is a common knowledge issue with SEO.

My primary business is SEO. I've seen dozens of sites that have been wacked by Google because site owners thought it was okay to provide a link on every page to every one of their sites. That is excessive interlinking.

Most Google penalties do not result in sites being banned. Most just result in reduction in rank, and the vast majority of site owners being penalized do not even know they are being penalized.

We recently removed all the interlinking among three sites that a company had linked together. The sites were all ranked in the 80s and 90s for most of their search phrases. Two months after separating the sites they are now in the top 10s and 20s. Other changes to the site were minor. I just received a nice e-mail from the site owner who is real pleased with the results.

Just because you haven't been penalized doesn't mean you won't get penalized. There is a randomness factor to penalties that are applied.

Here are a couple of other linking tips:

Providing a link to a new site from a mature site is a good thing to do. Links help the spiders find the new site. Set up a link from a mature (regularly indexed page) inner page in the mature site to the home page of the new site. If you link home page to home page, it may look like reciprocal linking, which frequently washes out the value of both links.

Site-wide links (links from every page in a site to another site) are currently being heavily penalized by G. If you buy links, don't buy site-wide links to your site.
    Last edited by Tech Evangelist; October 30th, 2005 at 08:14 PM.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Very good clarification points.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    My primary business is SEO.
    What is your stance on recip linking? Assume that the two sites are in the same general theme (ie..a ladies clothing site and a shoes site).

Frank

It works still. I never use url submit and new sites usually get listed within a few days.

The benefits of reciprocal linking have been dead with G since January 2005. You probably won't get penalized, but the reciprocal links are believed to wash each other out, so you also don't get link popularity credit either. About the only people promoting reciprocal link exchanges are people selling the programs, or site owners who have more to gain than you do. It does appear that you still get credit for the links with MSN and Yahoo, but they have always been more lenient than G when it comes to penalties.

If you want to avoid having two links look like reciprocal linking, don't link two pages together and avoid link farm pages. This is way too easy for G to detect.

The biggest danger with reciprocal linking is when you link to a page that has been penalized by Google: "In particular, avoid links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web, as your own ranking may be affected adversely by those links." Read the guidelines pages. A bad neighborhood is a site that has been penalized or banned. Basically, your site absorbs some of the penalties applied to sites that you link to.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html

One of my clients was recently approached by a company promoting an "automated link exchange program". I checked it out and there were no controls in place to filter out penalized Web pages. That's the scariest thing I ever heard of. IMHO, you should never engage in any link exchanges of any type unless you have full control over who you link to.

I'm currently experimenting with a link exchange program that does appear to have the proper controls in place and meets most of the guidelines I use. It is not a reciprocal linking program. If it looks like is is a good program at the end of my test (I'm 2 months into a 6 month test), I'll post my recommendations here.
    Last edited by Tech Evangelist; October 31st, 2005 at 09:54 AM.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Thanks Craig. I like to get that kind of insight from those in the profession.

For others reading this post....check out the links in Tech Evangelists sig line. Some good info there.

You probably won't get penalized, but the reciprocal links are believed to wash each other out, so you also don't get link popularity credit either.
    If you are linking with others to get traffic to your site the PR question is moot. PR is nice but traffic is much nicer.
    I'll post my recommendations here.
    We'll be looking forward to that.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frank3iii
    If you are linking with others to get traffic to your site the PR question is moot. PR is nice but traffic is much nicer.
    Words of wisdom.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread