Inbound links not regonized
    I'm having the hardest time ranking on Google for my latest two sites. One is a credit card site set up about 7 months ago, the other is a rap forum set up about 4 months ago. They both have about 30 inbound links from several related websites with various PR's, but my sites are both a PR0 because Google doesn't recognize these incoming links. Is there anything I can do?

Google only displays a random sampling of inbound links with no apparent ryme or reason as to which ones show up. MSN and Yahoo give you a much better picture as to how many links the search engines have found.

G has not done a PageRank update since early January and it is long overdue. It could happen at any moment, or never again. At one of the last Search Engine Strategies Conferences, a Google rep indicated that PR is only one of about 100 factors they now use to rank a page. It no longer holds the importance it one had.

Don't focus on PR. You can pick up a PR of 6 with a single link from a PR 7 site. It will do nothing to rocket your site to the top of G. There are currently plenty of PR 4 and 5 sites in top 10 positions.

If you are building quality links from a number of differnt industry-related sites, you are doing the right thing. If you are engaging in reciprocal linking or link exchanges, you are wasting your time. G has diminished the value of reciprocal links and a single link from your site to a site that G has banned can get your site penalized. Read all about it on G's Webmaster Guidelines pages.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Tech Evangelist is so right! Read that post again - it makes a ton of sense to me!

One thing I want to ask about...

Quote Originally Posted by Trilitech
    ...because Google doesn't recognize these incoming links...
    If you mean a PR0 is why they aren't "recognized", I think that's incorrect. I wasn't clear on what you meant by not recognized... did you mean by looking at the PR or by looking at "link:" search?

To see if the inbound links are "recognized" by Google, go to Google and search for link:www.yourdomain.com - if Google has indexed them (and therefore recognized them as pointing to your site), they'll generally show up. If they haven't, there's a littany of reasons why they may not "count" (or "count" yet) - each would have to be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

There are a whole lot of cases where Google will recognize the text www.yourdomain.com but not recognize a link to www.yourdomain.com

There could be any number of reasons why that is the case.

But one of the big ones is that they may be including your domain name in the text of the page without it being a link (and if there is a link to the page) it could be run through a third party system, I've noticed that a lot of people have been recently culling PPC ads, cutting and pasting the code directly into pages on their sites, and using these pages to try to improve their own sites ranking, since the link may go to your site, but it may do so by routing the click through overture, googlesyndication, or another third-party PPC system, you may not receive the link credit, even though there is a link to your domain, and a text mention of your domain name.

Thanks for the help. To answer some of the questions.

1. I have done the link: search to verify google does not recognize them and am not just going on pagerank

2. I have about 30 actual links using href tags, not javascript, etc and pointing directly to my site, not through a third party. Most of this links are 2-4 months old and are on relevant sites.

3. I know PR isn't that important for ranking, but the links themselves are. The only interest I have in PR is that it greatly affects how deeply your site is crawled. Currently only 17 our of my 12,000 pages are indexed.

With my other sites I was able to pick up links and get a PR 2-3 within a month. It's only the latest two that I've had problems with. Has something changed? Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Can you see your inbound links at MSN and Yahoo?
    [Get the SEO Toolbar lite from Download.com - check them all at the same time - Haiko recommended the tool here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=55471 ]

Can you find other sites that your inbound link sources also link to?
    Do those inbound links, for those other sites, get recognized at Google?
    (I ask cuz your problem seems strange and your indicated checks make a lot of sense - and you seem to know what to check - and we're both coming up empty in the answer bucket - so I'm wondering if it's a problem associated with your site or if your inbound link sources are somehow not recognized)

Google did their update today and it's looking MUCH better now. The rap forum is now a PR3 and showing on BL on Google. The credit card site is a PR4 with 16 BL. I'm much happier now! :-D Still not showing anywhere near the full number of links, but from what I hear Google never will.

To answer your question here's how my backlinks look on the other engines

Site Yahoo MSN
    Credit Card 61 341
    Rap Forum 18 127

Thanks!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread