The linking information for many of my CJ sponsors includes:

"Advertiser allows URL redirects for this link.
    Advertiser allows image redirects for this link."

What does this mean?

Thanks.
    Donna

ABW Ambassador
    Donna, suppose the merchant has a product you wish to feature, but has no "CJ product link" for that product. In theory you can go to the merchant web site, go to that product, copy the exact url, go back to CJ and click on "get html" for one of that merchant's links, click on Show Advanced, paste the URL into the provided blank, click Update HTML and now you have a link directly to that product.

I say "in theory" because it's not all that easy (or sometimes possible) with merchants who use frames or merchants who have a shopping cart system that adds a bunch of tracking garbage to every URL... but for those merchants where it works, it is a GREAT feature.

For those where it doesn't, your best option is to contact the merchant and request they create a link (some will, some will never respond to your email).

That makes sense, thanks. I suppose that was the URL redirect? Then what would the image redirect be?

If it sometimes doesn't work I probably wouldn't want to mess with it anyhow. I get myself into enough trouble just trying to do things the regular way.

Donna

ABW Ambassador
    The image redirect is to display a different image (such as one of the actual product rather than a 468x60 banner) with the link.

Once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info. Next time I get hit with a burst of enthusiasm I'll give it a try.

Donna

Cedric (or anybody at all),

This may be a dumb question, but do you think us affiliates are allowed to store "redirected" images on our own servers?

This would, of course, remove the possibility of getting broken "redirected" images on our sites whenever a merchant feels like changing their URLs, filenames, server path and whatnot.

I am already doing it for banners/product images provided by the merchant at CJ, but am afraid of doing that for "redirected" images, and sometimes it's rather painful to find pages and pages of such images not showing up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    TianTian

ABW Ambassador
    Legal or not, I don't know. I rarely use banners, but would be hesitant to do it with them because that would eliminate impression tracking.

But with products? I do it all the time. So many of the provided images are just so hideously LARGE.

And for the ones they don't have product links for already... well, my server is a LOT faster than many of the merchants. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread