Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Exclamation CoolSavings With Software App
    Seems Coolsavings has its own software app, CouponManager. You need to install this software in order to be able to print their coupons. No install no coupon. I could find nothing along the lines of a EULA or true explanation of what exactly this software does. There were several responses in the FAQs however regarding how to make the CouponManager function if you have various spyware removal apps installed.

Googling the app file shows many spyware sites indicating the application also delivers ads.

CouponManager now on my To Test List.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Chicagoans gone bad...

Irony: Their affiliate program, through CJ, pays $1 per person you get to register. Anyone who registers, gets infected. Got to wonder how you earn when you're hand-feeding the dragon.

Press: CHICAGO, IL— February 3, 2005 — CoolSavings, Inc. (OTC:BB CSAV), an interactive marketing services company, today reported results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2004. The Company posted a 51% increase in revenue in the fourth quarter compared to the same quarter of 2003, driven primarily by the continued success of CoolSavings’ Lead Generation Network, launched earlier in 2004. Net revenues in the fourth quarter were $12.2 million compared to $8.1 million in the fourth quarter of 2003. The Company reported 7,359,000 new consumer registrations across its network for the quarter, an increase of 481% compared to the fourth quarter of 2003, driven primarily by the consumer registrations on the Lead Generation Network, which was not in place in the fourth quarter of 2004. The Company also reported a 7% increase in the number of revenue-producing actions taken by consumers across its network during the fourth quarter, as compared to the same period last year. Net income was $1.5 million in each of the fourth quarters ended December 31, 2004 and 2003.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

Quick Facts
    2004 clients include nearly 50% of the year's top 100 national advertisers
    #51 most visited Web Property on the Internet
    #1 Coupon Provider and Site on the Internet for 5 years running
    Top 3 Lead Generation Marketer on the Internet

Distribution
    This year, CoolSavings will serve more than 1 billion offer impressions to 35 million unique consumers across our extensive distribution network, generating 100 million quality consumer responses for our advertisers and significant new revenue for our network partners.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Forgot to mention that they also have a rebate site now (linked to from coolsavings) @ http://www4.freestylerewards.com/registration.aspx

Distribution
    This year, CoolSavings will serve more than 1 billion offer impressions to 35 million unique consumers across our extensive distribution network, generating 100 million quality consumer responses for our advertisers and significant new revenue for our network partners.
    Pardon my stupidity but, with those numbers of 1 billion offer impressions to 35 million unique consumers across our extensive distribution network, generating 100 million quality consumer responses for our advertisers and significant new revenue for our network partners.

What and how can we do anything about it, if we find that they're no good for us?

I think this will be just like the Screensavers thread, 199 Replies, 4,908 Views and not even a real reply from those involved in the issue at hand.

As a side note:

There is a big discussion all over the net that say that in the year 2012 the Mayan Calendar ends and that by that date, the planet earth might end too, so what can we do about that now?

2012 is only seven years away from today, so where can we run to if we're all doomed by 2012?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    God do I hate couponers, incenters, rebaters who represent the scum of the affiliate industry by being POS attack dogs. Every BHO out there except Gator -WhenU & 180Solutions, who don't even bother with a legit pretense to exist, use these Adwhore merchant revenue killing ploys to kill off the real conversion ratios of their victims....THE REAL AFFILIATES.

Anyone thinking a domain bound, let alone a S/W couponer, does anything more then trick the legit traffic with a incent/reward to overwrite a referral cookie is full of crap. They are not legit affiliates and never will be because they completely rely upon SE & e-mail spam, PPCSE keyword abuse of Trademark+coupon or forced cookie stuffing tricks for cookie setting clicks. I love it when they brag here for years how their conversion ratios are so much higher then their real affiliate competitors.

Of course they don't fess up to the fact all couponers prey/rely totally upon overwriting every motivated showcase referral click using the SE's as Coupon Yellow pages ...or popup a coupon/rebate/reward at the Point of Sale. No big deal that the Super Duper Coolsavings wanks crossed over to the darkside to clobber both the legit affiliates and their less effective couponer Adwhores. Dat be the nature of the greed driven ROI killing incenters!!

Now let's hear the yells here from the ABWer couponers/incenters to make the eBates -CoolSavings- iGives and Top Moxie perps to leave their hijacked cookies alone. They friggin worked so hard (LOL) to overwrite my referral cookie they don't need some Coolsavings interloper stealing their booty. The major networks are just pimps for catering to the mass cookie overwriting crowd, of all flavors, as we have seen by the Titanium Awards threads. Every single ABW AM is guilty of monitizing the tricks for clicks crew from coupons, BHO's, doorway page spam feeds to turning a blind eye to e-mail spammers. Results of this led to opening the door to BHO popup artists, who see the entire industry opens the door to rape the merchants pocketbooks with their own incentives. It's sure OK with CJ or LS or Performics as the pimping party always gets their cut and pay ZIP for cashing in coupons/rewards. That's the responsibility of the stupid merchant alowing incnet marketing. They after all have an entrenched advertising mindset, which excludes any ethics filters, as the baddest Adwhores duke it out on the street corners with the wannabees and cheap perfumed part time scanks. Reminds me of the brain dead General Motors loosing 1 billion this last quarter from refusing to see the incentive Adwhores as their prime cause for driving them to eventual bankrupsy.

There will be some day a Safe Haven protecting legit affiliates and legit converting merchants from the antics of the tricksters.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Took them long enough to do this ... first they spam ABW and now ... they are in Molanderville and/or Collinsville (like Igive)... hopefully they won't put up "ho" tells on those properties, because .... yes, it's all a game of monopoly ... of and for the desktops.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Talking
    They hide from merchant partners,fellow duped affiliates and new members their use of a forced cookie setting BHO that can't be removed by normal Windows un-install routines. For the ABWers and some stupid or evasive AM's running so called clean programs, these Coolsavings.com & http://www.freestylerewards.com wanks have stolen millions in other affiliates commissions since November's Holiday shopping season.

See http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453076021 for the DNA on this Adware application the networks have refused to police as to the TOC or addendium. Needless to say CJ and other network salesmen have been recruiting for these perps to assure they get double dipping fees from the merchant victims. Even without the new hidden BHO any merchant doing business with Coolsavings has agreed to sell off the referral customers privacy info, surfing habits and e-mail address to the DMA and IAB brokers while accepting all order be emcumbered with ROI killing INCENTIVES.

My take is to start firing some AM's and replace them with some with ethics and a loyality to a merchant client's bottom line.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager
    Exclamation CoolSavings Coupon Manager is not Spyware
    Hi Everyone,

I took a break from the online world and came back, starting with CoolSavings this year.

The Coupon Manager app on the CoolSavings.com site is NOT Spyware. This is the tool consumers need to print out coupons, in addition to us tracking possible fraud from subsequent 'prints'.

Nothing is attached to this download at all.

And yes, we launched a brand new site, FreeStyleRewards.com. Check it out....earn points back for shopping online. Look for this affiliate program soon.

Blagica-
    CoolSavings.com

We'd rather wait for Ms. B's results rahter then buy into a 1st post by someone who's been hiding from the ABW radar. Printing coupons for offline presentation is not the subject that interests online affiliates. Turning over referrals to be disected for their resellable parts to the DMA & IAB info peddlers isn't my bag of tea.

A download that has no uninstall option and
    it can't be uninstalled by windows... hmmm
    That's two big right there...

Bet 'cha a buck and a quarter that your affiliate program won't be on SAS...
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

Affiliate Manager
    Not Spyware
    Folks,

I've discussed this with our head of technology. Our Coupon manager is not spyware whatsoever. It is not bundled nor come with another app.

The install is needed for us to control the volumes of coupons that are printed. Why? The manufacturer's give us a set limit of them and sometimes the coupons are one limit per household.

Ms. B, please test away!

blahgeetsa

can you confirm or deny this please:
    A download that has no uninstall option and
    it can't be uninstalled by windows... hmmm
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Quote Originally Posted by blahgeetsa
    I've discussed this with our head of technology. Our Coupon manager is not spyware whatsoever.
    Yeah, but is it ParasiteWare(TM)? I think most would be interested in that.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Affiliate Manager
    This app. is definitely "uninstallable" and is not parasiteware.

Quote Originally Posted by blahgeetsa
    This app. is definitely "uninstallable" and is not parasiteware.
    So you don't pop up any ads for any merchants when a surfer is on a website that is not CoolSavings then?

Affiliate Manager
    Linda, are you asking if the Coupon Manager on a consumer's PC makes other advertisers appear because of the download? If so, then nope. The Coupon Manager on a consumer's machine is not tied to any direct advertising methods.

ABW Ambassador
    Does it make the same site appear with someone else's affilate id?

Affiliate Manager
    I don't think I fully understand your question...are you talking about cookie swapping?

Again, this download has absolutely nothing to do with advertising or spawning something on someone's machine. It allows the consumer to print out coupons from CoolSavings.com, along with ensuring we keep an inventory of when those coupons run out/are no longer available from the manufacturer.

Internet Cowboy
    So the coupons can only be printed an finite number of times? What is the customer prints the coupon and does not use it. Would this not skew the tracking that your BHO is supposed to do?

ABW Ambassador
    I actually used this a long time ago to print coupons and it didn't spawn any pop up advertising or anything like that. It worked like blahgeetsa has posted. I don't have it now, so i'm not sure how it works now but it sounds the same.

This makes me very uncomfortable. I have been working with CoolSavings, Inc to get some listings on www.freestylerewards.com. Have been on the site for a few weeks with over 1000 impressions, 16 clicks and no sales.

ecomcity: I have bookmarked http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...lentpests.aspx and will use it as a judge for questionable web sites.

blahgeetsa: I am going to temporarily terminate Coolsavings.com from our program until you can get your site cleared from Most Prevalent Pests by Pest Count with Computer Associates.

To blahgeetsa credit I did enable the coupon manager and it did limit my ability to print Aquafresh coupons. I can not find a toolbar visible nor a way to remove in Add/Remove Programs.

Chuck,

I've split the various announcements you posted into this forum
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Like Trust, I used CoolSavings in the past to print in-store coupons. I don't know of any parasitic activity.

That said, I still wouldn't promote them (or any other site related to a rebate site) because of the potential for them to siphon off traffic through their unrelated rebate site. I'm not sure that they market that site to CoolSavings customers but if they did, some percent of the customers I sent their way would buy through the rebate site instead of me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread