WM, Meta Tags and Voodoo
    Hello everybody:

this works on an index page:

<TITLE>[WM-Field: ShortDesc nolink]. [WM-Field: LongDesc nolink].</TITLE>

this stubbornly refuses to work:

<TITLE>[WM-Field: ShortDesc nolink] [WM-Include: ../resources/some-text.txt raw nolink]. [WM-Field: LongDesc nolink].</TITLE>

what should turn up for
    [WM-Include: ../resources/some-text.txt raw nolink]
    is nowhere to be seen - nothing, nix, nada!

also, makes no difference whether raw is included/excluded.

what is the matter?
    Voodoo??

any ideas?

thanks,
    heisje

Have you tried [WM-Field: ShortDesc nolink] [WM-Include: http://somedomain.com/resources/some-text.txt raw nolink]
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

thanks, but is it possible to have a URL within a <TITLE></TITLE> tag??

You won't have a URL in the title. You will have whatever is in that text file, I think. I could be wrong here. I am certainly no one to ask about code.

Why not try it on a test page?

Anyway, I would do this

<title>[WM-Record][WM-Field: ShortDesc][/WM-Record] [WM-Record][WM-Field: LongDesc][/WM-Record]</title>
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ssnaf,

thanks, but the following works fine, and there is no need for the WM-Record tags:

<TITLE>[WM-Field: ShortDesc nolink]. [WM-Field: LongDesc nolink].</TITLE>

it is the [WM-Include] that does not work in the meta tag

heisje

well, yes,

I can confirm now the Voodoo aspect of WM - apparently having also to do with that FourthWorld bit (voodoo has its roots in the fourthworld I presume . . . . .)

now hear that: the formula that refused to work a few hours ago, now does work (lo and behold) just by omitting "raw" and "nolink":

the following does not work:

<TITLE>[WM-Field: ShortDesc nolink] [WM-Include: ../resources/some-text.txt raw nolink]. [WM-Field: LongDesc nolink].</TITLE>

the following WORKS!

<TITLE>[WM-Field: ShortDesc nolink] [WM-Include: ../resources/some-text.txt]. [WM-Field: LongDesc nolink].</TITLE>

love it, hate it . . . .

heisje

Affiliate Manager
    No voodoo at all: as per the documentation there are no "raw" or "link" attributes for the WM-Include tag.

The WM-Include tag merely copies the contents of the specified file into the space in the page where you have the tag. It does not auto-linking at all, something that's unique to the WM-Field tag.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

thanks, richard - learning pains . . . .

suggestion: perhaps it would be useful to make the learning curve a bit smoother by noting this detail somewhere in the "documentation", as one easily may be fooled into deducing that all tags in an index page need a "nolink" attribute when no linking is desired, and also that the "raw" attribute is largely "harmless" when you intend the data to be raw. In my case the "raw" attribute actually blocked execution, while logs did not record this problem.

best,
    heisje

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by heisje
    thanks, richard - learning pains . . . .

suggestion: perhaps it would be useful to make the learning curve a bit smoother by noting this detail somewhere in the "documentation", as one easily may be fooled into deducing that all tags in an index page need a "nolink" attribute when no linking is desired, and also that the "raw" attribute is largely "harmless" when you intend the data to be raw. In my case the "raw" attribute actually blocked execution, while logs did not record this problem.
    Agreed. Should I put that in the tag reference for the WM-Field tag, or some other place?
    Richard Gaskin

richard,

I believe that this detail/clarification should go to:

1.- the tag reference for WH-Field, and
    2.- Using WebMerge > Preparing Your Templates > Index Templates, and possibly
    3.- Using WebMerge > Preparing Your Templates > Field Names in Source Files

best,
    heisje

CORRECTION:

above suggestion should read:

richard,

I believe that this detail/clarification should go to:

1.- the tag reference for WH-Include, and
    2.- Using WebMerge > Preparing Your Templates > Index Templates, and possibly
    3.- Using WebMerge > Preparing Your Templates > Field Names in Source Files

sorry for that . . .

best,
    heisje

Affiliate Manager
    Done. You'll see those additions in the documentation posted with v2.4.1 next week.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    While updating the Help pages it occured to me that long before anyone would need to know where the optional attributes are NOT used, they'd first learn about them where they ARE, in the help page for the WM-Field tag.

So I just added this note there:
    In addition to merely copying the data from the specified field, the WM-Field tag provides a number of optional attributes which govern how the data is altered for display. Note that these options only apply to the WM-Field tag, and other WebMerge tags are not affected by these considerations.
    While you were affected in your learning with the WM-Include tag, if I were to go that route I should include a note about that on the pages for all tags, and arguably if we go that route we should consider a similar note for all other options in the pages for all tags where they aren't used.

By the time I was done thinking this through, going that route seemed to add more complexity than clarity.

So hopefully you'll agree that putting this note at the top of the page where those options are discussed is the most appropriate place to let people know they only apply to that tag.
    Richard Gaskin

richard,

i have no doubt that you are in a much better position than me to evaluate what should go where.

still, you should consider providing "help" from the standpoint of a teacher. most new users are, at that early stage, little more than "morons". and a step-by-step introduction, including "troubleshooting" tips, would be valuable both to those beginners as well as to you - sparing you valuable support time repeating the same things all over and again.

best,
    heisje

Affiliate Manager
    i have no doubt that you are in a much better position than me to evaluate what should go where.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that.
    One of the downsides of writing software is that I'm too close to it, so I need to rely on less jaded eyes.

still, you should consider providing "help" from the standpoint of a teacher. most new users are, at that early stage, little more than "morons". and a step-by-step introduction, including "troubleshooting" tips, would be valuable both to those beginners as well as to you - sparing you valuable support time repeating the same things all over and again.
    Very true, but I also need to balance that with the "too much information" problem, in which the sheer volume of text can be overwhelming and discourage the user from reading any of it.

While the use of WM-Field attributes in other tags has come up before, this is the first time it's come up in the context of the WM-Includes tag. That's why I started looking into including the note in other places as well, before it dawned on me that that unless the user reads about those options in the page for WM-Field they'll never be tempted to try them in another tag.

So I agree that redundancy can be good, but simplicity is also important. So my current approach on this is to place the note wherever those options are mentioned, rather than in all of the places where they're not.

I think I have this done now for the v2.4.1 update, but if you find any other spots where any of the WM-Field options are mentioned without the caveat that they only apply to WM-Field let me know and I'll update it right away.
    Richard Gaskin

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread