Define The Rules
    I GUESS ITS HIGH TIME WE STARTED DEFINING THE RULES OF THE GAME!! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT IN CASE WE WANT TO KEEP THE ENTIRE AFFILIATE AND SEARCH MARKETING INDUSTRY ALIVE. I BELIEVE THERE SHOULD BE A CLEAR CUT FRAMEWORK OF GENERALLY ACCEPTABLE PRACTICES IN AFFILIATE MARKETING.
    CJ AND PERFORMICS' COC AND OTHER PUBLISHER AGREEMENTS IS NOT WHAT I AM REFERRING TO. AFFILIATE MARKETING IS ALL TRUST BASED AND SENSITIVE MATTERS AND DECISIONS SHOULD BE HANDLED WITH DUE CARE, IN ORDER TO ENSURE THAT ON ONE HAND, THE QUALITY OF ALL NETWORKS IS MAINTAINED, AND NO GENUINE AFFILIATE IS SCREWED.
    LET ME BE MORE SPECIFIC: I WANT ANY AND ALL OF YOU TO POST HERE THE RULES WHICH YOU BELIEVE ARE ACCEPTABLE IN AFFILIATE MARKETING. :
    1. WHAT SHOULD BE THE FACTORS IN ORDER TO DETERMINE THE GENUINITY OF AN AFFILIATE ACCOUNT? SITE? PAST PERFORMANCE? ORIGIN? CTR? CONVERSION RATIO? OR MAYBE SOMETHING ELSE??
    2.WHAT IS THE ACCEPTABLE CTR/CONVERSION RATIO IN GENERAL ABOVE WHICH YOU MIGHT EXPECT RED FLAGS?
    3. SHOULD AFFILIATES BE A PARTY TO THE ADMINISTRATIVE DECISIONS? OR IT SHOULD BE A PRIVATE GAME BETWEEN THE NETWORK AND MERCHANT?
    4.VERY IMPORTANTLY, WHAT DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE CJ's POLICY OF GIVING 60 DAYS TO THE NON-COMPLIANT SITES TO COME INTO COMPLIANCE? I MEAN, IS IT FAIR TO GIVE WARNING BEFORE SCREWING SOMEONE NASTY?
    5. SHOULD AFFILIATES ALSO HAVE THE ACCESS TO ALL THE TRAFFIC STATS JUST LIKE A MERCHANT HAS?

I STRONGLY FEEL THERE ARE LOT MORE ISSUES (WHICH I MIGHT HAVE SKIPPED). DO ADDRESS THEM IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO.

15 years and counting
    POST HERE THE RULES WHICH YOU BELIEVE ARE ACCEPTABLE IN AFFILIATE MARKETING.
    Don't scream, use lowercase. Thanks

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    One needs to define what a GENUINE affiliate really is in order to lay out rules for protecting them in the GAME of affiliate marketing. The original premise/promise of the networks, to entice merchant involvement, was they'd recruit a group of value-add resellers enhancing the chances of sending targeted high-conversion traffic to the merchant sites. That folks is an affiliate.They'd be rewarded by taking a middleman cut of the higher converting cookied clicks into the merchants checkout lanes and pass out commissions rewarding those sending higher valued traffic then the merchants own SERP and CPM Ad campaigns. Well the whole premise/promise fell apart, right from jump street ,as greed driven diversion tactics by merchants, and "tricks for cookie setting tricks" were encouraged by the Adwhore intern AM's. It became a diversion vs a mass cookie setting spam game with the victim being the shopper and the value-add affiliate, playing by the network so called rules.

Rule #1: No commissions should be paid to any affiliate enity that doesn't generate a physical cookied click from their own domain page creatives....or a physical click on a BHO popup.....period.

Rule#2: Any affiliate hawking traffic via an incentive model (coupons -rewards -click fees -rebates) has to get written permission to participate in any network's merchant program... period. They exist only to push ROI killing merchant incentives, unlike normal affiliates, and are the most costly and abusive commission partner to have in your commission pool.

Rule #3: Any domainless browser contextual spamming BHO affiliate cannot overwrite cookies on normal affiliates click traffic before -during or after landing on a merchants site. No BHO affiliate can be allowed to receive a commission on non-commissionable actions like the merchant's e-mail, bookmarks, and URL type-ins.

Real simple solution. Identify in the merchants profile the types of affiliates they accept into their programs. Identify to the AM the type of affiliate wishing to join their program.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

rule number 1 - no caps.
    Ebudae

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Talking
    Hey Ebudae I only Capped one word "GENUINE", but I'd like all here to understand rule#1.

Rule #1: No commissions should be paid to any affiliate enity that doesn't generate a physical cookied click from their own domain page creatives....or a physical click on a BHO popup.....period.

That one applied and enforced across all existing networks would muzzle the perps!!! Who do I send my legal bill too....Haiko -Messer or Todd??
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Hey Ebudae I only Capped one word "GENUINE", but I'd like all here to understand rule#1.

That one applied and enforced across all existing networks would muzzle the perps!!! Who do I send my legal bill too....Haiko -Messer or Todd??
    you are right Ecom - I was thinking outloud about the first poster... sorry!

Ebudae

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread