What is originanl content??
    Ok Time for a deep though. Seems like more I read about SEO the more I see 'original content' This makes me think....If I send time looking for, organizing and writing original content then I am left with little time to develope the site. Or I can use RSS and datafeeds and get a site up in a week few weeks but it really isn't original and will not rank well and not even be indexed.

So what is original content?? Everything I know I read or saw somewhere else. I can't really use that it's not original. Try to develope a site with a focus on just a few products and the SE bots see it as 'developing and spammy for key words'. So what do we as affiliate marketers do.

Thought.......

TIA,
    Doug

Original Content would be where the search engines don't find the same exact verbiage on your site that they find on thousands of other sites, which is why I've never been a fan of RSS and datafeeds.

Everything I know I read or saw somewhere else. I can't really use that it's not original.
    Yes, but you can put what you know into your own words. When I create a new section at my site for a product line, I go and learn all I can about the company and the product line. Sometimes that takes some real digging. There are a few companies that I feature that, even though they have a website, aren't easily found using the search engines. I've had to be creative just to find their website.

I usually start the section off with a brief history of the company, which I have rewritten from their "About Us" section. I once found a link into my site from another site saying, "Lots of great information and products from XYZ Company."

Sure I spent a lot of hours putting together that section ... but that was three years ago and it is still ranking high in the search engines. Still have to refer to my bookmark to find the company's own website.

What I'm trying to say is that even though you may have to invest a lot of time up front developing and writing information, it is worth it in the long run because it will still be good for years to come.

On the other hand, you may spend a lot less time putting together a site based on datafeeds, but you're not going to get the ranking for producing a carbon copy of thousands of other sites doing exactly the same thing.

You get out what you put in. Try to think in terms of years to come, instead of immediate returns within the next few weeks.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Everything I know I read or saw somewhere else. I can't really use that it's not original.
    Original content often boils down to a matter of, "it's not what you say, but HOW you say it." What Tracy said about using your own words, is usually the way to do it for a subject you've just researched (as opposed to when you're writing about something you know well).

If you write about a subject you know a lot about, you can--again using your own words--easily bring together info from various sources to make a new page. For instance, if I talk about gardening, I draw from a combination of experience, things I've read, and things I've observed other people doing, and I blend all of that together in my own words to make the points I'm trying to get across. Try to develop a distinct writing style, so people feel like there's a real person doing the writing instead of it being a boring textbook or some kind of machine.

Try to think in terms of years to come, instead of immediate returns within the next few weeks.
    Just never mind those bills that are due in 2 weeks
    While there is indeed value in the long-term, sometimes there is something to be said for "NOW!"

IMO it shouldn't be a matter of either/or. The site should start producing, NOW (or as close to it as the SE update schedules will come), and keep on doing it for a long time.
    Last edited by Leader; April 24th, 2005 at 11:09 PM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Angry problem with original content
    Original content does not stay original for long. Not while those !#$)*%!#$(*$#^ site copiers still breathe.

Hi Doug.

Good question! When you are looking on the web and see lots of sites basically all saying the same thing - look for a new angle or slant that the others have not thought of.

As far as products - There are going to be lots of pages with the same old product description - rewrite it yourself in your own words. Do a bit of research and tell something the other pages don't.
    Ebudae

Try to think in terms of years to come, instead of immediate returns within the next few weeks.
    The point I was trying to make, which I guess didn't come across, was that it is worth the extra time to write a page with original content NOW that will produce income for a long time, rather than just spending less time building a bunch of datafeed pages that duplicate the efforts of other people.

Earlier this month, I spent a solid week building about 30 related pages. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it because the pages are already in the number one through 10 position for the three major search engines, and are already producing income for me. As a matter of fact, I'm above the merchants in most search results.

If I had used a datafeed, I probably could have accomplished the job in a matter of hours, but I'd probably be on page 20 or even further back. Now that the pages are done, I feel confident they will be producing income for me for quite some time. If the manufacturer discontinues the product line, well there's always the eBay listings.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Ah, okay, I understand.

It's just that sometimes I see a lot of people talking about building sites for "the future," and totally ignoring that "now" still exists, and I thought that you were going along the same lines.

Spending a week to write 30 pages...while that seems like a long time compared to running a feed, it's not nearly as long as I thought you meant!

(The SEs are sure getting faster at indexing new sites, aren't they??)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Actually, I have only one gigantic site (several thousand pages). Whenever I put up new content, I always add a links to it on the home page and it is usually indexed very quickly. I've thought about starting more sites, but I haven't finished this one yet. Of course, I might just be like Thoreau and will never get it finished because I keep reworking some sections.

Yes, a week was a lot more time then I normally spend, but it's a popular product line and was worth the time. I've already seen quite a few sales come through as well as one $20 eBay registration, which sort of shocked me since this stuff was only introduced to the market last month. But, sure enough somebody is already selling it on eBay.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread