Can some PLEASE turn my tracking switch back on? Getting great click throughs all day long and CJ stats showing Zip for sales. This is ridiculous.

CK: Don't expect your tracking to be turned on till Monday. Many people are still away for the holidays and traffic is only just building up to pre-Christmas levels.

ABW Ambassador
    I hear ya! Only twas Googly goo who turned my switch off this month LOL

Still getting lots of visitors to some of my sites but not to the ones that consistently earn.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you!

Finally, It looks like they Turned my tracking Switch back on!

Seriously, I think they DO have tracking problems. I have one site that seems to particularly sensitive to CJ's tracking. Every month, it will go for several days without a sale being tracked for no reason. This time, I went in and CHANGED the code on a few of my most heavily trafficed CJ links - I changed the site code and put in another one of my site's code and Boom - the sales start coming back in.

I have some other things I would rather be doing than having to change the site code back and forth just to get my sales tracked.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "This time, I went in and CHANGED the code on a few of my most heavily trafficed CJ links - I changed the site code and put in another one of my site's code and Boom - the sales start coming back in."

(It's official--we NEED a "Pulling My Hair Out, Eek" smiley!)

Imagine that smiley here! Yikes!! And Gah!

First I read a thread where there's been $1200 of reversals in 3 days. Then I read about a secret shopper sale that didn't show up. Then I read this!

What CAN I say... I've had things like that (changing things and suddenly it works) happen with other computer-related stuff and it means something is F'ED! Just where the F is/was I don't know, but something is F'ed up about that!

I will note that an error on either end (yours or theirs) could show up that way...

but...I am inclined to say that :eek: there's a decent chance of it being at CJ's end! The part of the program that determines whether a site is a valid referrer, specifically. (For instance, [speculation] "deleted" sites supposedly don't track--it could have designated your other code as being from a "deleted" site somehow.[/speculation]) Just how this could come up, I don't know...I'll leave that to CodeJockey and/or anybody else who knows programming.

I do know that from the user's end of various programs, I've had all kinds of weird stuff happen that may or may NOT show up from the user interface!

Gaah, I knew I should have played video games today... it would have been much more relaxing!

CK,

quote:
    Seriously, I think they DO have tracking problems. I have one site that seems to particularly sensitive to CJ's tracking. Every month, it will go for several days without a sale being tracked for no reason. This time, I went in and CHANGED the code on a few of my most heavily trafficed CJ links - I changed the site code and put in another one of my site's code and Boom - the sales start coming back in

I have a serious theory on this ... PM me If you care to share sales info .. (part of the report) ... I've seen it also!

--------

Leader,

quote:
    Then I read about a secret shopper sale that didn't show up.

NOT "A"!

quote:
    we NEED a "Pulling My Hair Out, Eek" smiley!

I'm on it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

CK, can you elaberate a little more on what you mean by changing the code. I know my tracking is messed up some where. I just don't know why.

Packy,

CK means change the AID (I'm pretty sure).

Create a new account and you'll see it, ALSO, (you can always change the info later [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]).

Haiko

Haiko, gotcha I think. I have several sites listed now but I usually just use the main sites links on all of them. I will go make some changes and see what happens. Thanks Haiko and CK.

When I add a url to my CJ accnt. Does that take effect right away??? Thanks

I changed the PID code (publisher Web site identification number -the code that designates which one of your sites it is on)

Now there was nothing wrong with my code on this page as it was tracking sales just fine until yesterday. I haven't made any changes to those pages in over a week.

So just how can a link track just fine for weeks and then stop? I was about to do a "secret shopper" myself on that link just to prove it wasn't tracking right. Next time, I guess that's what I should do (I will have to figure out something I want to buy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ).

I am getting p*ssed off with this cr*p, just prior to the last update on CJ I had sent 730 hits since Jan 1st with not a single sale. I usually get around one sale per 110 hits. This tracking is absolutely crazy or the bloody scumwear b*st*rds are creaming it in at our expense.

hey gordon

i just visited your site and a popup appeared warning people about popups

then i clicked on one of your links and it opened in a new window, this may be confusing your visitors since you just warned them about popups

then i clicked a product link and the warning popup happened again, i guess it wasnt the clicking of the product link that made that happen, i guess you use an onload() function, its just that it appeared at the same time i clicked so i guess that could be confusing to your visitors plus if the merchant opens a popup your users are not going to know what to think

i think you are doing yourself no favors with that popup, please remember that your customers are not webmasters

also i had to resize the popup to read it all, not all of you visitors will know how to do that!

BTW i didnt read all of the text in the popup just skimmed it for a general idea of the plot so maybe your visitors do that too

AND it could be that people are not buying camping gear at this time of year and just browsing, i hope ypur advertisers have long cookie durations

AND there is no such thing as average sales per clicks, i have a lot of transactions through cj and i can tell you fer'sure that you cant guarantee that every 110th click will bring you a sale, the sale to click ratio can vary by cosmic proportions and is hugely influanced by cookie length

you have a very nice site but if it where mine i would kill the popup, i think its really letting you down

i have no comments to make about tracking

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Something surely is amiss as to CJ tracking sales from all merchants who don't batch. 914 hits since 1/1/2002 with ZIP for sales. Never happened in 3 years since my visitors all are targeted leads to those 75 specific product categories.

Yesterday was one of the worst days EVER for me but 2 days ago things were fine - and today is not so bad...

Still nothing like the pre-Christmas period... wow....

>>Still nothing like the pre-Christmas period... wow....<<

I have a European travel site, and December offered slim pickings for me (as it does every year). Now that people are back at work, my traffic is up considerably (yesterday was 350% higher than the same day a couple of weeks ago) and so are sales.

What's interesting is that CJ continues to be a bust for me, and nearly all of my affiliate sales are coming from independent affiliate programs such as Auto Europe, Renault EuroDrive, Viator, HotelsCentral.com, and Art.com. I get clickthroughs each day for CJ merchants such as Rail Europe, EuroVacations, Magellan's, and Expedia.co.uk, but since I enrolled as a CJ affiliate in October, I've had only two sales (both were Rail Europe sales which were posted within minutes of each other in December). It's possible that travelers are leaving rail passes, travel accessories, and such until the last minute--after all, I can understand why a traveler might want to book a car now but not buy a railpass or money belt until a few weeks before departure. But if CJ clickthroughs don't start leading to more sales by spring, independent affiliate programs will look even more appealing than they do now.

Don't want to be a spoil sport but I've sent cj over 2000 clicks since Jan 1 and sales are great.
    I really don't know what to say, maybe it's tracking on your sites,if your using FPage it's been know to corrupt code but perhaps people aren't looking to buy what your selling right now.

No problems here, 17k hits to CJ since Jan 1 and sales looking ok. Never enough of course, but CJ still #1 with me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I had more sales on Christmas day than I did the last couple days. Sales are starting come back in again now, so maybe Todd turned my tracking switch back on.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Mousejockey, I didn't want to be a spoilsport either so I'm glad you spoiled their sport first [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Actually sales have been coming in quite well for me, too!

But CK's experience did point to a bug being somewhere, either on his site or theirs.

On my own sites, there are differences in the CR but there are also differences between the sites so to say it's any one thing that's affecting those CRs there would be premature.

I agree, obviously there are some concerns regarding the tracking...perhaps I should be making more than I am? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I don't know the answer and I won't be the one to solve the puzzle because I don't know about enough about it- but if I'm sending clicks through to a merchant and not selling, the first thing I want to know is why, is the link working, the product available, is there something about the merchant which would turn people off. Then I put them on notice before I dump them.

Just quietly, I think too much emphasis is put on tracking and google, think we need to look at our pitches and the merchants pitch!
    Mind you, if there is a tracking problem, I'll be in line with my hand out [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If I weren't getting any clickthroughs, I might suspect errors in my code, but I *am* getting clicks--I'm just not getting many sales (at least, not in comparison to what I'm getting from several independent affiliate programs). So, if there were a tracking problem, I assume it would have to be on CJ's end rather than because of missing or corrupt code. (FWIW, all of my CJ links have both of the required URLs: the Web URL and the corresponding image link.)

ABW Ambassador
    Here is a mail I got from a merchant, but have not added any links to:

Since 12/20/01 cj hasn''t been tracking your leads. To compensate for this we will pay leads obtained in December that actually were not qualified as a sale. We are sorry for the inconvenience and have been told this problem will be fixed by 1/8/02. Thank you
    Delaware Fast Funds
    Seems like I'm seeing more and more of this type of stuff...or advertisers that are accidentally deactivated (most claim it is a CJ problem, but I wonder if it's a money problem on the merchant end). These are the big reasons why I question plenty of clicks but no sales with all merchants

Tom Pyles

Interesting email, I had one similiar.

Wish we could sort this out, but I really don't see anyway of having 100% accurate tracking unless cj starts a shopping cart system for merchants.
    Mind you, I'm certainly no code slueth or expert but I know some of you are, hope you find a fix [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread