Is it time to Publicly OUT affiliates?
    I am really getting sick and tired of affiliates that are using Metrics Direct to advertise through the Zango/180 parasite program.

Is it Time?

Poopie

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    I've been crying loudly for a ABW "Hall of Shame" for 2 years now. At one time Haiko succumbed to this cry and said he'd allow proven outings, but never produced a page view heaven of a forum section for this purpose.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15 years and counting
    I think ABW should have some kind of filter before outing rogue affiliates. Yes, we need a hall of shame for the tricksters with public exposure but it means more work and liabilities for somebody.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If they advertise and land on their own site, out them. I have outed a few with videos like this posted here at ABW and privately, I'm outing more than a dozen each week in private emails to merchants I know.

If they advertise and land on their merchant's site, you can see their aff id, but that's usually all you can learn about them. Still, out these to their merchants.

company start kicking them out
    credit to jcoronella

"The LA Times is putting pressure on big companies that are advertising on adware companies and encouraging 'sneaky tactics'. Mercedes-Benz, Travelocity, Chase, Disney, Home Depot are all named in the article, with many of them contacted and questioned about it.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...or9may09.story

After The Times asked about the practices of Exact Advertising and 180Solutions, Commission Junction said it was going to stop doing business with both. "

==========================
    Where i can find compete list of all parasites??, It will be best if list will be managed by forum administrator - easy to find. IT will be handy for all merchants and eliminate garbage even before sign-in. It may become Industry A Must Check -

Exclamation
    the problem with lists of parasites is that they can't all be believed.

for instance, you go to eBates and see the list of their "customers," and not all the merchants on that list are still there. many are leaving amid the controversy but eBates doesn't take them off the list right away.

but take a look there -- you'll be shocked.

Every affiliate should be required to sign a fair competition agreement with a monetary penalty for breaking that agreement. That penalty should be a percentage of total sales plus a lump sum in order to keep it fair.

An investigative commity should be formed and only that commity should be allowed to out the cheating dirt balls.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    One thing, before an affiliate should be outed would be to make sure the affiliate actually knows they are popping on a merchant's site. Yes, I know, the 'parasites' are perfectly aware of what they are doing.

Yet, as an affiliate, I often try different PPC opportunities, and even if they would tell you all of their traffic sources - which they don't - who's to say they won't pick up a baddie at some point after you've started doing business with them?

I mean, you've got kanoodle.com , findwhat.com, 7search.com , goclick.com , and a host of others..... Even overture picked up traffic I disagreed with at one point, I believe it was searchscout, a product of the company formerly known as gator.

The point is, before you 'out' anyone, you need to make sure the guy's doing it intentionally.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    >>investigative committee

Who would willing to pay for all this?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    >>investigative committee

Who would willing to pay for all this?
    The fines paid by the violaters could finance it. Of course someone needs to figure out the details like how to collect the fines etc.

Out them where?

I have had my posts removed here every time - even though the last was a clear cut case of parasitic popups used in conjunction with covert cookie stuffing techniques.

ABestWeb, with it's current rules, is not conducive to outing any bad affs.

Shame, cuz exposing the rare bad aff is critical to showing we keep a clean house ourselves.

BTW... I am doing my part and hunting down cheating affs and other parties - and reporting them to merchants and more. Doing my part to self-police every chance I get. But try to remember the ABW rules as I go. Last time, I swear I forgot - I was so pissed I posted the cheaters site - then the Moderator and Haiko got me. Felt stupid cuz I know the rules, but forgot them in anger at a network's delay at firing the infringing affs. My merchants were telling me the particular network was telling them they couldn't fire the cheating aff cuz no rules had been broken. My anger at that network blinded me temporarily to the ABW rules.

I know Haiko sides with my stance, but he has other reasons for his rules and I doubt they will change.

Maybe we need a separate forum or blog where we can post this information. Maybe we should ask Haiko if it's a liability issue, available time for a moderator to do their job issue or what... The policy seems to not stop spammers here - the self-promoters - they still post and the mods still have to track them down. It leaves the rest of us unarmed in any self-policing efforts.

Thinking out loud...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    BTW... I am doing my part and hunting down cheating affs and other parties - and reporting them to merchants and more. Doing my part to self-police every chance I get. But try to remember the ABW rules as I go. Last time, I swear I forgot - I was so pissed I posted the cheaters site - then the Moderator and Haiko got me. Felt stupid cuz I know the rules, but forgot them in anger at a network's delay at firing the infringing affs. My merchants were telling me the particular network was telling them they couldn't fire the cheating aff cuz no rules had been broken. My anger at that network blinded me temporarily to the ABW rules.

I know Haiko sides with my stance, but he has other reasons for his rules and I doubt they will change.

Maybe we need a separate forum or blog where we can post this information. Maybe we should ask Haiko if it's a liability issue, available time for a moderator to do their job issue or what... The policy seems to not stop spammers here - the self-promoters - they still post and the mods still have to track them down. It leaves the rest of us unarmed in any self-policing efforts.

Thinking out loud...
    I applaud your efforts Donuts. You might consider B-a-HO.com as an open domain for your OUTING efforts and Charlie can post and moderate there.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Donuts, there are liability issues. I can also say that there have been more than once that I've removed such postings of an aff's URL where it was stated as fact they were doing bad things when it was not case. Sometimes it was just the person posting didn't understand what they were seeing. Sometimes it was nothing more than someone trying to do harm to a competitor (we had a rash of that one for awhile). I'm not saying at all that was the case with your recent posting. Each time a URL was posted like that though, I had to stop what I was doing and go investigate msyelf if the claim was accurate or not.

I would also strongly suggest that anyone who posts 'outings' no matter where they are publishing those on the web, that they educate themselves completely (or as much as possible) as to the measures they should take in order to protect themselves against potential legal headaches (or worse). If you are going to do it, make sure you do it right for your own sake.

Self-policing is in our interests.

Your stated reasons above are clearly solid reasons why the board rules are the way they are - no doubt it needs to be that way - and no offense taken at all - in fact, even though I was accurate with my post, I was out of my mind angry when I posted the last one that got deleted - not smart on my part.

Overall, I believe the need far outweighs the hurdles - we need to consider other methods here to achieve this.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread