Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Exclamation Need some advice from the pro's...
    I lucked out and discovered and registered a domain name, computer-related, that gets over 1000 type-in queries an hour for the exact phrase that the domain is named.

I'm trying to find some reliable computer-related merchants with a good reputation, with particular emphasis on promoting merchants here at ABestWeb.

Any suggestions?

Also, what would YOU do with a domain name for a phrase that gets over 1000 searches an hour? How would you take advantage of it?

I've made a little money on my previous websites through adsense, but it's nothing to write home about.

I'm a stay-at-home Dad caring for a disabled son. I got into affiliate marketing mostly to raise the money to be able to afford a handicapped-wheelchair conversion van for him, so he can get out more.

I think that finding this domain name phrase was an incredible opportunity, and I don't want to screw it up.

How would you approach taking advantage of this situation???

Thanks,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Along with the obvious of promoting computer merchants and using AdSense, I'd try to get some kind of CPM advertising going (with CPM, the people don't even have to click in order for you to make money). Either use a CPM network or sell some CPM ads directly. CPM doesn't pay much per impression, but with that kind of traffic coming in, it should add a quite nice tip on top of any sales you make.

Also it may be a good opportunity to promote some of your other sites by advertising them on the new one...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Damn, so 24,000 type ins a day? You should be able to roll it in with that. Don't know the best merchant but with that kind of traffic you can test them out pretty quickly and find one that works for you. Also depends on the computer phrase. Also Adsense, Fastclick type stuff or just sell advertising on your own or thru something like Adbrite.

Trust & Leader
    Thanks for the info. So a CPM (that's a cost per thousand views banner or ad, right?) would pay a certain amount just for eyeballs coming to my site? How do they track them?

I was also thinking about ( I registered the .biz, .us, and .info extensions also) setting up one website, using merchants, banners, and direct links. along with product pictures.

Then cloning that website, changing the content around, and adding adsense. Compare the two, and see what happens.

But, all the talk about parasites taking over a website has me worried. Is there anything I should do or be aware of while building?

Thanks again,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

>>So a CPM (that's a cost per thousand views banner or ad, right?) would pay a certain amount just for eyeballs coming to my site?

Yep.

>>How do they track them?

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but I belive that, basically: first, they count the impressions served to the site. They then run the raw data against some kind of IP-check and/or cookie-based script, to make sure the views are legit (robots, for instance, aren't counted). There may be other screens depending on which company it is. (Check the Terms of any CPM place you consider to see which imps they will give credit for. The specifics can vary quite a bit, not only among companies, but among specific ad types.)

Imps which make it through screening are credited to your account.

>>But, all the talk about parasites taking over a website has me worried. Is there anything I should do or be aware of while building?

I'm not sure about the parasites "taking over" a website...I've heard of sites being targeted (ie, if someone types in TargetedURL.com a parasite's-popup will pop), but I don't know about actual takeovers.

But one thing you should definitely be aware of, is that parasites LOVE to advertise through CPM places. There's good advertisers, too, but there can be a lush growth of parasites along with the good ones. So you will need to use a company that allows you to WEED OUT the bad campaigns. And you'll need to babysit your CPM account, because the paras will keep opening new campaigns under different names.

Also, while I haven't tried selling advertising space directly (instead of using a network), it'd be something I'd look into with that kind of traffic! With such substantial traffic, there could be a lot of upside to cutting deals directly, I would think.

Rick,

Thats awesome and Congrats. The obvious if the name is product related I would make sure the product is on the main page and research all the merchants to make sure that you find the one who has the best prices on the products, best quality and so on. Let the visitors know that you reseached all the merchants and found one of the best prices online for what they are looking for.

CPM IMO is without a doubt with that much traffic IMO. If you can find something at 3.00 per thousand imps your looking at 1350.00 a month if say you average 15,000 vistors a day. Thats on top of any sales that you recieve from the visitors and on top of adsense.

As for Google and not knowing if it is product related visitors or something like people looking for content ex; pictures or something, I would give adsense a top priority. Try experimenting with different add types that Google offers to see which ones work. Just as important move that google add around on the page to see where it gets the most clicks from. With that much traffic you should be able to figure things out in a few days. In the past I have had google averaging over 25.00 cpm on a couple of sites. Of course that will depend on what google is paying out for the clicks. Hey a Big Best of Luck to you Rick. You should do awesome and hopefully have a Van in a couple of months

It's nice waking up to good news Keep us up to date as to how it's going

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If it's a specific product oriented keyword then get a Tax ID# and apply to computer distributor carrying that product as a reseller. Host domain with a e-commerce cart and let distributor process each order. Most will drop ship for you direct to the buyer and settle up with difference between dealer cost and sales price...less shipping and returns. Get paid monthly just like an affiliate at a higher commission rate. Nice thing is you build a repeat customer list and can expand on the products offered. Same concept used by 80% of all product merchants who are affiliate enabled. They have no inventory.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Awesome advice, guys (and gals!)
    I appreciate the time and thought you-all put into replying to my question.

I think I'll start off slow, find a CPM client (any suggestions? I haven't the faintest idea who to trust!) and partner with some merchants.

Try two different variations, one with adsense, one without.

Mike opened my eyes to another possibility:
    If it's a specific product oriented keyword then get a Tax ID# and apply to computer distributor carrying that product as a reseller. Host domain with a e-commerce cart and let distributor process each order. Most will drop ship for you direct to the buyer and settle up with difference between dealer cost and sales price...less shipping and returns. Get paid monthly just like an affiliate at a higher commission rate.
    But I've never built an e-commerce cart. There's all sorts of areas that I'm ignorant in; finding a reliable merchant account to take Credit Card orders, and so on. Maybe I'll wait a while, and if I stsrt making some money, hire someone to 'show me the ropes" and get started.

Would you all advise gathering e-mail addresses for future "offerings" like accessories? (battery backups, antivirus software, ect.?)

I'm really excited about the possibilities here, and am trying to get started in a positive direction.

Thanks for all the input, and if I can think of any dumb questions, I'll be sure to ask!

The e-commerce cart function and expansion flexability is a simple learn when motivated by the $$$ potential. I'd suggest www.Miva.com as the hosted cart/ecatalog for your computer related products. If computer illiterate small computer shop owners can master it in a weekend ...so should you. Added bonus is all major networks including SAS can be activated for tracking in less then 1 minute. Another bonus is built in Indy affiliate program tracking and the fact you can specify drop shipper for original e-mail sales activity with carbon copy going to you. Online Admin area screens are a snap for even newbees.

Place "buy now" or Add to cart button right into HTML static showcase page and any CSV or comma delimited feed with populate the cart in seconds.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

lurk
    Rick,

If you don't mind me asking, what is the domain you purchased?

I find it remarkable that someone let a domain expire that was generating such an intense amount of traffic.

Also, how did you stumble upon it?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason
    Jason,

You asked:
    If you don't mind me asking, what is the domain you purchased?

I find it remarkable that someone let a domain expire that was generating such an intense amount of traffic.

Also, how did you stumble upon it?
    Until I get the websites built, and all my duckies in a row, I'm not going to reveal the domain name. I'm sure you can understand that.

The domain wasn't expired, it's just that no one had registered it, mostly because it's a phrase...not a one-or two word generic name that everyone has already taken.

As far as stumbling upon it...I've done my homework. Read. Studied. Followed the recommendations of others (like the folks here at ABestWeb). I have searched and looked. I say it was luck and I stumbled on it, but that's not the case. I worked my butt off to find it.

Here's a good place for you to start, there's lots of free tools there. Read up on SEO forums. Join webmasterworld. Learn all you can. Try these tools out and get familiar with them.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=15008

After you've acquired the knowledge, then you, too can find a good domain name. I've found a few more. I'm not trying to put you off, it's just that there's a learning curve involved. There's no magic potion or e-book that will take the place of doing and learning.
    So start learning!
    Later,
    Rick K.

ABW Ambassador
    So there's a computer related phrase that people type in as www.somecomputerphrase.com 24,000 times a day but a name that wasn't registered? I can't wrap my head around it. Can't think why 24,000 people a day would type in a non existent domain name. That's quite a find. Not someone's TM in there?

Trust,
    As far as I can tell, it was never registered. The wayback machine has no record of ANY domains ever using the phrase I'm targeting. The .com version was taken, but it was registered the day before I found the phrase. Bummer. A day late and a dollar short.

As far as TM, I seriously doubt that the name was ever tm'd if I can't find it in the wayback machine. But I haven't checked for TM.

Give me about 2 weeks, and I'll show it to you. (hopefully sooner). It's harder to find good computer merchants that I thought.

Good ol' Dell pays 1%. 1%, mind you. So if I were to sell $10,000 worth of Dell products a month I'd get a whopping $100.00 check? Phooey on that. Gateway? 2%. Toshiba? 2%. Can't find an affiliate program for HP, but I can find other well-known merchants that CARRY these products that pay 4-7%.

Ity's hard to know who to trust. I looked at Linkshare, found a couple. CJ, same thing. Kolimbo...well, I'm not really sure of them yet. ShareaSale I'm leery of, but I'll look around.

I'm inclined to agree with Mike's viewpoint, get a tax ID #, and register as a reseller. Gotta have some numbers to throw at them first, I guess.

The adsense and CPM route seems like the best way to get started. Get some well-known merchant products. Throw in some magazine links, some computer-learning software links, write a few (10 or so) articles, and let 'er rip!

Folks didn't type in www.somecomputerphrase.com, they entered the phrase as a search engine query. I believe it was overlooked because everyone's focusing on one or two word domain names, rather than a phrase that people are using in the search engines. Make sense?

Thanks for your advice!
    Last edited by Rick K.; April 26th, 2005 at 12:13 AM. Reason: adding more

ABW Ambassador
    As far as the merchants, with that kind of traffic you can probably negotiate a better commission percentage. HP is at Performics - 5% if you can get over $10,000 in sales in a month which i think is more than doable with that kind of traffic. Also would take a look at Zones (3%) while you're at Performics, probably something there you can use. There's always Amazon where you start out at 5%, i think there is a cap, have to look at that. Palm Store at CJ is nice. I think once you find the right combo, you should be able to rake it in

Folks didn't type in www.somecomputerphrase.com, they entered the phrase as a search engine query. I believe it was overlooked because everyone's focusing on one or two word domain names, rather than a phrase that people are using in the search engines.
    Oh, so you have to *rank* under it to get the traffic??

Better be careful about saying the specific name then, unless you want to see "www.every-version-under-the-sun-and--then--some.com", .net, info, .org etc. looking back at you a week later...

Hmmmm...
    Trust, I completely forgot about Performics! (smacks self upside head)
    I'll be looking around there.

Do you know of any reliable CPM merchants? Or do you think I would be better off using a rotating banner script that features the highest-paying merchants?

I really appreciate the advice and help that ya'll are giving. It's sharing like this that makes me proud to be an ABestWeb member. This has got to be the best forum on the Internet

Mainly because of the people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick K.
    a domain name for a phrase that gets over 1000 searches an hour?
    Hi Rick,

Where did you get this figure from? I'm guessing Overture... Always take their figures with a pinch of salt. Sometimes they can be infuenced by ranking software, or just be wrong for no obvious reason.

Before spending too much time developing it, get some dirt cheap hosting, put a page of anything as the index, and check the logs for a week - that's the only way to know the typr-in traffic you'll receive.

To get organic search engine traffic, you'll need more than just the domain name, although a good name certainly helps. You'll be wanting many links pointing to your site, and hopefully not many other sites targeting the same phrase.

Rob.

lurk
    Jason,

You asked:

Until I get the websites built, and all my duckies in a row, I'm not going to reveal the domain name. I'm sure you can understand that.

The domain wasn't expired, it's just that no one had registered it, mostly because it's a phrase...not a one-or two word generic name that everyone has already taken.

As far as stumbling upon it...I've done my homework. Read. Studied. Followed the recommendations of others (like the folks here at ABestWeb). I have searched and looked. I say it was luck and I stumbled on it, but that's not the case. I worked my butt off to find it.

Here's a good place for you to start, there's lots of free tools there. Read up on SEO forums. Join webmasterworld. Learn all you can. Try these tools out and get familiar with them.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=15008

After you've acquired the knowledge, then you, too can find a good domain name. I've found a few more. I'm not trying to put you off, it's just that there's a learning curve involved. There's no magic potion or e-book that will take the place of doing and learning.
    So start learning!
    Later,
    Rick K.

Thanks for the insite Rick... I hope your new aquisition will put some extra cash in your pocket.

Best of luck.

lurk
    Quick question while I am here for the SEO experts...

Do you generally notice a difference in ranking when you have the domain:

www.some-new-phrase.com as opposed to www.somenewphrase.com

I see the hyphon thing all the time and recall reading an article from Lycos where they publically stated that having keywords in the url help your ranking, but not much. They also mentioned that the hyphons will help the search engines read your url.

What's the problem with buying both the hyphoned and longtext sting of the name? Also watch your butt from the new .com buyer as I don't believe in coincidences on obscure .com domains names getting bought 1 day before your forced to buy 2nd choice. Some registrar wank scripted some inquiry against traffic potential and jumped on it. Look for a copy cat or a cloned expired traffic type directory page on that SE keywords term.

lurk
    There is no problem with buying both... just curious as to which would perform better given the same parameters for both.

Also, how much of a difference in performance.

Mike,

you said:
    Also watch your butt from the new .com buyer as I don't believe in coincidences on obscure .com domains names getting bought 1 day before your forced to buy 2nd choice.
    I bought the domain from GoDaddy. Do they employ these type tricks? Also, when I found the .com version was taken, I did a whois search and discovered that the phrase had been registered the day before.

Jrod,
    As far as hyphens go, I haven't compared the two. BUT, I once read a statement that made a lot of sense to me.

Suppose for example's sake, that you registered a hypnenized domain name "Buy-widgets-here".com and the business started taking off.

So you decide to take out some radio ads, or people ask what the name of your website is.

(Say it out loud,) "Buy Hyphen Widgets Hyphen Here Dot Com" .
    See how awkward that sounds when spoken out loud?
    That's why I avoid them.

ABW Ambassador
    How are you coming up with the 1000 type ins per hour? Are these from your own stats or something?

Hyphens in domain name
    Most SEs will see hyphens as a delimiter. It will see my-domain-name.com as three words instead of one long word. I do this on page names also but keep it to one hyphen per page name.

Take care,

Brian

lurk

(Say it out loud,) "Buy Hyphen Widgets Hyphen Here Dot Com" .
    See how awkward that sounds when spoken out loud?
    That's why I avoid them.

Right,

I would never buy a domain name with hyphons for the real site, just use it to drive traffic from the search engines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast