Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    adsense vs. affiliate marketing/selling
    2 questions-
    1. Do you make more $$ with adsense (or other advertising) or with affiliate marketing?
    2. What type of site do you run? (shopping/store, coupon site, informational site...)

Considering it takes some time to turn your cents per click into any real cash via adsense, affiliate marketing can yield more and quickly as it has done for me. However, personal marketing style and traffic to the site on which adsense is located can greatly effect the "which earns more scenario".

Hi cheapmom,

To me, it's a no brainer... Why make pennys per click with Adsense when You can make up to hundreds of dollars per click with Affiliate Marketing links?

I also removed all of my Adsense ads from my pages for the reason that I don't what to put anything in front of my visitors that would distract them from buying something that could make me some real money.

I run a online Shopping MaLL.

Love You,
    HumbleFish

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    On sales sites, sales still rule, but AdSense is a big contributor to the bottom line as well.

On c*ntent sites, the AdSense is what carries them. What AS makes on an info-content site depends a lot on the content! If you write a site specifically to capitalize on AS, talk about something lucrative And of course put the ads where people will find them.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

"make pennys per click with Adsense"

If you make, say, an average of 10 to 15 cents per Adsense click on pages with products that generally yield $5 to $10 commission per hundred clicks, it's a no-brainer.

Of 60+ sites that I have live now, I've determined that only two of them consistently produce more $ in commissions than Adsense clicks. FWIW one of those two sites is a one-pager promoting one obscure niche product that doesn't generate relevant Adsense listings in the first place.

Thanks- Leader- that is just what I am trying to figure out. My site is really informational. People won't come to my site with the expectation of shopping. There are product tie-ins on most of the pages, but even then- the products are not high dollar items so I would really have to do a lot of volume. As it is now, if it weren't for adsense revenue, I would have no revenue at all.

ABW Ambassador
    It all depends on what kind of traffic you have.

I have a small site that had great serp placement but no matter what I tried I could not convert with it. Perhaps 1 in 500 or so purchased. I kept the site around as a PR distrubition point and thats about it. I kind of forgot about it for a year or so... Then in an adsense 'tuning session' recently I remembered the site and threw andsense on it and BANG. Awesome money.

I have other product oriented sites that will NEVER have adsense on them. I make pennies on a click and I believe adsense is distracting to the actual marketing plugs.

In short - pursue affiliate marketing but if you have some content sites try adsense - especially in the tech sectors where your commish on an affiliate sale is often only 2% but clicks can be expensive!

We run AdSense AND affiliate links/carts/etc on most of our sites. In some cases ad revenue (AdSense + direct ad sales) blows affiliate earnings clean out of the water (it's not always pennies per). In other cases it's just the opposite. It really depends on the site, what you're selling and how generous your commissions...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I would like to know what your site is about specifically

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    I would like to know what your site is about specifically
    just an example of where adsense has worked:

one of my sites promotes a certain state's wines and wineries. the page with the list of wineries is very long so three patches of five ads each are strung vertically, spaced out, along the right side of that page.

you'd be surprised what the neighboring B&B's must be paying for those ad hits.

++++++++++++
    a hint: try making a good page about homeowner's insurance and put adsense ads on the bottom. the insurance companies try to corner the market on certain key words.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Cheap Mom ...

I can't say anything other than what has already been said here, although I will say that without Google AS, my kids would have starved long ago. ;-)

I run AS ads only on content pages, not on my shopping pages, although most merchants don't convert well and I always make more with AS than affiliate sales every month which tempts me to replace poor performing merchant ads with AS ads but I maintain hope that someone will buy something one day and leave things as they are. ;-) I think if you feature good performing merchants where you can and use AS ads where you're not trying to sell specific products, you'll do well. Even at pennies per click, AS generates more revenue for me than any other program.

Why does no one else in here include their URL? Am I an idiot for showing my URL and exposing my "secrets?" LOL - no great secret there, just wondering why no one else offers up their site address. Whatevah ... you're all welcome to visit my site and see what it is I'm doing, although I'm certainly not a big player. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Why does no one else in here include their URL? Am I an idiot for showing my URL and exposing my "secrets?" LOL - no great secret there, just wondering why no one else offers up their site address. Whatevah ... you're all welcome to visit my site and see what it is I'm doing, although I'm certainly not a big player. :-)
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60117

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Cheap Mom ...
    Unfortunately, as soon as someone shares their site with the general membership here, carbon copies of it start showing up all over the place. Does every affiliate here do this? Of course not. Do some affiliates do this? You bet.
    Haiko has a rule of not posting affiliate links because he does not want this to become an affiliate spam board (I assume that is his reason).
    In general, it is best if we all keep our creativity to ourselves. That keeps the temptation to copy someone's site out of the mix.
    I think that posting a URL to your site in your sig is OK if you are so inclined. Many do this. I have thought about it, but decided against it mostly because my sites are kinda like my sock drawer, cluttered and not properly arranged

Thank you everyone who explained why no one posts their site URLs! I'm removing mine from my sig line after this post. ;-) Scary that someone would want to copy my site which is my own blathering and opinions, mostly ... although I've had someone copy/paste an entire sales page of mine and posted it on their site. They left my affiliate links in place though, which was awfully sweet. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Thanks for everyone's input- My site is primarily content and I have been making most of my $$ from adsense- I don't really display the ads very prominently either- I want to build up a loyal base of visitors before I start sticking the ads in the middle of articles... but I make enough to pay for the site and have a little change leftover. I am pretty happy because the past two months I have actually sold stuff!!! I started my site in Feb- was 100% new to affiliate marketing but thanks to these boards I have learned so much I think I may be able to make this work as my job and continue to be a SAHM, which was my goal from the start. Thanks to everyone!!!

depends
    I have an affiliate site for plus size womens clothes. I found it benificial to leave the adsense on some of my less viewed pages, but on my popular pages, in particular my index page I tweaked it with adfsense and without. Although My adsense revenues dropped significantly, they can never make up for an affiliate commission. But I guess you have to take into account your traffic and conversion ratios . As well as what keywords your optimized for. The more competive the keyword, the higher your adsense payouts

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    I have tried my product pages with and without the presence of Adsense and I discovered the presence of Adsense did not detract from my affiliate earnings. In fact I found that for every amount of shoppers that land on any of my product pages from the search engines that there will be a percentage that will not be interested in the product, and that's when Adsense appeals to them. It soaks up the leftovers
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

ABW Ambassador
    I run both simultaneously on pages, and overall the AdSense income is reliable and consistent, and overall outperforms with reliability and honesty. On some pages the commissions out-perform by far, so I adjust accordingly; but it depends on the products and the individual merchants.

For some products, if the only merchant availability is riddled with adwhores and on-site commission-killing leaks and thievery, until I can find honest-dealing replacements, the merchants stay on so that I have enough legitimate keyword-rich content to rank, and I design those pages so that the non-performing merchant is buried and I'll get AdSense income.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Contextual advertising is easy to manage - never a dead link (except for rare psa's). If you can provide useful content, you spend a lot of time on the front end creating the content, but then you place your contextual ads on and move on to other projects or add to the existing project. So you are always adding rather than struggling just to keep even. If your content happens to coincide with your hobbies you really have a good thing going. You need something of real value, not just "content" that consists of verbage added for the search engines.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

In my eyes, if you have a lot of traffic, and conversion is low, it makes more sense to keep adsense in there. But if average commission is over $50, makes more sense to remove adsense. Because if you get 10 cents on a click from adsense, on 100 clicks u may get $10, but if u get 1 sale off those 100 clicks, u get $50.

S I would say it depends on a case to case basis.

ABW Ambassador
    Part of the problem with putting adsense right up there in people's faces in the recommended "hot spots", as tempting as it is to see the $ rolling in daily, is that it can interfere with finding out which merchants convert.

When people come to our sites, they're our customers, who we're providing a service for by referring them to good merchants. And if a merchant shows they can turn my customer into a happy buyer, then I feel an obligation to send traffic to that merchant - so I move adsense out of the way enough so it won't obscure the merchant's goods or the pitch I make for them.

It's a two-way street - they owe us (and the buyers) to make the most of the traffic we send them, and when they're performing there's a mutual support that needs to work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    It's a two-way street - they owe us (and the buyers) to make the most of the traffic we send them, and when they're performing there's a mutual support that needs to work both ways.

Well said, Webworker. Now if more merchants would convert, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

I never put AS on my selling pages. Still, AS pays the bills. *sigh*
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

AdSense is like crack to me. :-) I like doing content / service sites more than straight store sites, and AdSense is a good way to monetize that. The addictive aspect is that the stats are good and update often so that it's "fun" to keep tweaking and getting that CTR feedback and seeing if you can pull in some primo clicks. I also like working on organic SEO and traffic building and they mesh nicely.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherMan
    I have tried my product pages with and without the presence of Adsense and I discovered the presence of Adsense did not detract from my affiliate earnings. In fact I found that for every amount of shoppers that land on any of my product pages from the search engines that there will be a percentage that will not be interested in the product, and that's when Adsense appeals to them. It soaks up the leftovers
    I'm with PreacherMan here. I added Adsense to the bottom of my sales pages - I figure if ppl scroll all the way to the bottom they are likely not finding what they're looking for. Adsense gives them an option, compared to just going back to i.e. Google. And I'd rather take the 10c than nothing at all.
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    I run AS ads only on content pages, not on my shopping pages, although most merchants don't convert well and I always make more with AS than affiliate sales every month which tempts me to replace poor performing merchant ads with AS ads but I maintain hope that someone will buy something one day and leave things as they are. ;-)
    Right now I'm having a hard time maintaining trust in a lot of merchants out there. For the better part of my pages it's hard, if not impossible, to find merchants who aren't on "that E list" or who don't have blatant leaks on pages, or otherwise. Some are great, but not most.

I went digging back for this thread because I've been going through and comparing figures and at this point I'm just about sick to my stomach over it. Looking at the figures at CJ & LS over a period of time - they just don't line up at all with the Adsense figures. Comparing, you would never guess that they're for the same sites.

I've got small niche shopping sites that are set up pretty much like an average ecom site would be, with targeted product pages, and I run both affiliate links and Adsense. I've tried to move AS out of the way and have been working on increasing good traffic sent to merchants, particularly over the last month or so.

As it turns out, even though some say July is a slow month, it was a record-breaking Adsense month with an all time high for impressions for the month and daily, and for CTR and earnings.

Google's figures are accurate, trustworthy and reliable. Overall, put together, for small (really small) sites the traffic, CTR and AS earnings are very healthy - particularly the top ones. But if you look at CJ & LS figures, with the exception of just a few really good performing merchants, you'd think they're brand new, practically untrafficked sites.

No way - the Google figures are precision, and if I didn't run them both I'd never know that something is drastically wrong with these kinds of discrepancies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast