Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Sea Eagle - Be sure to read new terms
    FYI, I was just reading the new terms set by Sea Eagle, same old stuff about bidding one their name, etc... but this new set of terms also says you cannot use "Sea Eagle" or their product names in title or meta tags.

I think it was like that before. That's why I never bothered to promote their products.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib - How Could You Promote THEM..?

They are out of their minds! At least the AM.

Old thread about the "new" terms (from the archives) ...

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=17353
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

It's a ridiculous set of terms, especially when you consider that an "existing customer" is someone who has merely visited the site before. Why not add another rule that affiliates can only put "Sea Eagle" and any product names in image files?

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Fellow AM
    Hey everyone -

While I know how frustrating this type of thing can be just wanted to say, in defense of the AM - sometimes its beyond the AM's control when the AM's management steps in!!

Just wanted to note that it may be out of the AM's hands in this case. Ya just never do know.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I sure don't rely upon more then natural SERP listings and don't use "incents" of any kind for SeaEagle. I'm amazed after 1400 clicks and not a single sale ever that these guys want to dilute the conversion ratio further. Wish they'd take responsibility to convert targeted traffic as my SeaEagle clicks all come from page creatives.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Unfortunately a small but determined minority like to spend their time playing games... optimizing pages to rank highly on brand name searches, etc.
    I'm a bad guy because I optimize my webpages??

I don't consider that "playing games" - I call that GOOD business. No, SMART business!

Anyway, I dropped them awhile back so it's a mute point.

I dumped Sea Eagle yesterday!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    I'm a bad guy because I optimize my webpages??

I don't consider that "playing games" - I call that GOOD business. No, SMART business!

Anyway, I dropped them awhile back so it's a mute point.
    Too much restriction!! And make sure you don't out bid ANY of the terms they are bidding on!! No Thanks!! I was to the point where the only term I thought I could bid safely on was "inflatable rubber ducky"

Bye Sea Eagle!!

Internet Cowboy
    I have to agree. I can see where they don't want you to bid on their name on PPC, but optimizing pages is playing games??? They should just close their affiliate program. They have it structured so that they make all the money anyway.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Hello. I want to sell you an inflatable boat.

Great! What brand is it?

Well, I could tell you , but they would kill me afterwards. You'll just have to trust me.

Internet Cowboy
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Hello. I want to sell you an inflatable boat.

Great! What brand is it?

Well, I could tell you , but they would kill me afterwards. You'll just have to trust me.
    Thanks Drewbert. That one gave me a belly laugh on a tough day

Thought I'd point out that Sea Eagle was a 4-bar merchant at the time of that thread (see page 3), but they are now a 2-bar merchant.

Apparently the TOS change wasn't the boon to business that they hoped it would be!

Talking How about this?
    Spread Eagle Inflatable Doll Boat..

Find Spread Eagle Inflatable Doll Boats at affordable prices.
    Complete with whores... Ooops... I mean oars.
    Take a Spread Eagle Inflatable Doll Boat for a test drive today.
    Washable

A feel- iat- publisher

Think I would get busted? No pun intended.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Make sure you sell patch kits with those dolls, err boats.

Sea Eagle program terms
    In an ideal world I would prefer not to have any restrictions on our affiliate program at all.

Our new terms are something that we needed to put in place because we had some bad experiences with a few affiliate that had misinterpreted our lack of rules as an invitation to do anything permitted by CJ to get a commission. And as we all know, CJ allows just about anything.

The first thing we did was to ban any form of adware of any kind. We feel that an affiliate who sends us a qualified lead that becomes a sale should get paid, not an adware provider.

The next item was PPC bidding. Our site is not a multi-brand retailer, but a one brand site. If you're loioking for Sea Eagle boats, SeaEagle.com is where to find them.

Most other affiliate programs are quite different. an affiliate that buys "north face parka" and send backcountry.com the traffic is using a third party trademark to send the merchant a new customer.

For us, an affiliate that buys "Sea Eagle", bumps down our listing, and sends us traffic we would get anyway is not bringing a new customer, just a new expense.

Our ideal affiliate is one who finds us a customer who isn't already looking for us. That's why we discourage search affiliates from optimizing on "Sea Eagle". Anyone searching on "Sea Eagle" on any major SE can already find us. What we want is sites devoted to hikers, rafters, bird watchers and so on. Sites frequently by people who like the water, and are not looking for a boat but would love to own one. The goal of our program is, as Seth Godin says, "turing strangers into customers"

I realize that a lot of the affiliates here at ABW are masters of the search world. That's a great skill and we welcome it. We just want affiliates to go after the people who want to buiy a boat but aren't already lookig for one of ours. As we sold 9,000 boats last year and there are millions of people who would want to put an inflatable boat in their garage for the odd weekend family trip.

I'm open communications from anyone that is concerned as to how they can work best with our program. Please send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

John Hoge
    SeaEagle.com

And as we all know, CJ allows just about anything.
    Maybe this means it's time to look at moving your program to ShareaSale or some other ethical and honest Network then John.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Internet Cowboy
    So, Sea Eagle wants all of their own traffic for themselves and wants affiliates to send only people who have never heard of Sea Eagle.
    Sea Eagle, you gotta take the good with the bad in this game. You have banned downloadable apps, that is GREAT!! But for you to tell us that we can't use a title tag that says "Sea Eagle inflatable boats" is simply shooting us in the foot.
    I think you are confusing parasites who will stop at nothing to get a commission with legitimate publishers who use proven SEO tactics to send you traffic.
    Downloadable apps have caused you problems so you go way too far in the other direction and ban publishers from using your name. I'm sorry, but you are overreacting and it will cost you and your publishers money.

Gordon,

I'm curious about the advantages you see in sharasale over CJ. Please PM me on it if you have a chance.

Uncle,

I understand your point that the the Meta tag and title rule might be a bit restrictive, but I hope you understand what the goal is. I'm looking to avoid affiliate sites that try to outrank me on my own name, whether via SEO or CPC methods.

I realize that affilates are very touchy given what the networks have put them through with their tolerance of parasiteware and the like, but I'm not out to trick anybody with these terms. I'm simply stating that I would like to pay commissions when affiliates find me new customers.

There are loads of ways to sell a product other than finding people who type in the product name. People go paddling and boating for many reasons, from excersize to fishing to relaxation, and all of these niche markets have an angle that is ideal for affiliates to work.

Take bird watching for example. There are one million people in the USA alone who watch birds as a hobby. A light, silent boat that can get into tight waterways is an ideal product for this market. Sites about particular geographic areas are also great promoters of the boats and kayaks that are best used for those waterways.

Our best affiliates are exploiting niches like this and sending us business we would never have found otherwise. That's all we're looking for in an affiliate program.

The problem is that some affiliates add value to your brand. For example, somebody may have visited your site already, but now they're searching for Sea Eagle reviews and customer experiences. If we can't use your brand in our pages, nobody will find results for "Sea Eagle reviews". This is how I do my marketing, so you've limited my ability to promote you. As a matter of fact, there's no way for my current system to promote you under your current terms.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    There are one million people in the USA alone who watch birds as a hobby.~J Hoge
    And probably about 100 who'd actually consider buying a boat to do it! Most "bird watchers" are content to hike somewhere, or even to look out their window with a bird book.

Like anything, there is a giant difference between a person who claims to enjoy a hobby, and one who is a fanatic about it!

As for people who aren't looking for a boat in general, I highly doubt someone is going to "impulse buy" a 4-figure boat!!! So aiming at people who at least want *some* kind of a boat is just using sense.

As a matter of fact, there's no way for my current system to promote you under your current terms.~Snib
    This time, our two different roads lead to the exact same place. A place with lots of Sevylor boats in it!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

If I had a Bird watching site or one page on the subject in my mall, I wouldn't mind getting 10 sales from a handful of people who like birdwatching and water. Sure beats getting 1 sale from 10,000 birdwatchers.
    ~Ernie

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread