Affiliate Manager
    Affiliates -- What Kind of Banners are the Most Useful?
    I am a SAS merchant with two stores. I am about to have our designer start working on some new banners for both of our sites. But... before I do, I would love to get some opinions from affiliates.

1) Which sizes are the most useful? I generally stick with 468*60 and 125*125, but are there other sizes that affiliates prefer?

2) Do you prefer branded or unbranded banners?

3) Do you have a preference for banners with or without animation?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Melissa C. Murphy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Animated ones tied into specific product landing pages. Practice on spiffing up those in a variety of sizes as they're being accepted into Googles Adwords CPM targeting campaign beta. I don't know if building standard size banners is such a good idea as NORTON blocks all standard sizes by default.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    124x126 and 149x151

Hi, pajamalady,

I suggested to one of my affiliate merchants that they create some graphics at 124x126 pixels and 149x151 pixels to hopefully help elude Norton's automatic graphics whacker.

They responded and created some truly genius graphics.

Just thought that you would like to know.

Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

ABW Ambassador
    Smile Preferred Banner Sizes
    Quote Originally Posted by pajamalady

1) Which sizes are the most useful? I generally stick with 468*60 and 125*125, but are there other sizes that affiliates prefer?

Hi, pajamalady,

On my web site I prefer to use 234x60 animated banners across the very tops of my pages. I can get three of them up at 800x600 monitor resolution.

I would suggest creating them at 233x61 to help elude Norton just in case Norton's automatic graphics whacker goes after the standard 234x60 graphics.

At 468x60 I can only get one up at 800x600 resolution and thus waste screen space in which I could be running two other ads. I never use 468x60, myself.

120x60 work very well for filling in the smaller spaces though I would prefer 119x61 to help elude Nortons automatic graphics whacker.

I find the 125x125 or 150x150 graphics work very well in vertical tables that are 25% of an 800x600 or larger screen although I prefer the 124x126 or 149x151 sizes like some of United Shades graphics.

Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    If I use banners at all, I only use 125 x 125 or 250 x 250. In my opinion, towers and 'standard' 486 x 60 are awful, archaeic and just ugly. Since my sites are generally product pages, I will only use banners that look unique, and I prefer no animation.

I have had occasion to use 120 x 60, but only in a pinch. Branded is fine as long as it's tasteful. I think too many e-commerce marketers still live in the 'if it's gawdy, it'll be noticed' age of the early Internet days. I always take notice if it's colorful (well coordinated, not just bright and loud) and sells something I want, plain and simple - and/or shows the product I want. A banner doesn't mean anything if it's just an animated catch phrase. I want to SEE what you're selling me. I really like some of the herbal supplements banners because of this. They actually show a bottle of 'XYZ' and use very little space to say who and what it is.

Btw, I really like the banners you offer for Tiny Tot Dress Shop. They are colorful, but well coordinated, unique, and convey the real message.

JMHO!

~Lisa~
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Affiliate Manager
    Wow! I am so glad that I posted before talking to my designer. I will definitely have her use some of the odd sizes that you suggested to get around Norton.

I am planning to do some very targeted banners for Crazy for Bargains -- superhero pjs for boys and Father's Day gift ideas.

Lisa, Thanks for the kind words on the Tiny Tot Dress Shop banners. I am going to try a few with using photos of the dresses just for variety.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Melissa C. Murphy
    CrazyforBargains.com -- Fun Sleepwear for the Whole Family
    TinyTotDressShop.com -- A Dress Boutique for Infant, Toddler, and Little Girls

More variety in the 120x60 range. Most of my ads are text anyway, but when I do indulge in graphics they go into blog side panels. And no animation, since my visitors are trying to read prose. The graphical content should tie into the alphabetic content, and there should be no doubt about what product the ad is for.

The other reason I like 120x60 is I'm doing more mobile content, and am catering to a 320x320 pixel screen.
    [LEFT]Scott :tartanber [URL=http://www.scotthamilton.net]My Vanity Page[/URL][/LEFT]

ABW Ambassador
    Hi pajamalady,

1.) I prefer the 125 x 125 and 120 x 60, but on occassion will use 468 x 60 banners. I think the new sizes to elude Norton is a good idea.
    2.) I like a combination of branded & non-branded banners to choose from. That way if my page is for Superhero pajamas, I have one to use and if I am looking for one more category oriented such as slippers I am covered there as well.
    3.) I prefer them without animation but don't mind it if the animation is tastefully done.

I'm looking forward to the new banners to spruce up my pages. Thanks for taking the time to ask our opinion.

Penny

I prefer 468 x 60, with no animation, because often the animation is just annoying and distracting.

Affiliate Manager
    Well I just got the new banners back from our designer. They are all slightly odd sizes so hopefully they will not get wacked by Norton. I hope that all of you who offered opinions will take a look at them on SAS and let me know what you think of the finished product. I couldn't do every size (limited budget!), but I tried to go with the sizes that the most people said they used.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Melissa C. Murphy
    CrazyforBargains.com -- Fun Sleepwear for the Whole Family
    TinyTotDressShop.com -- A Dress Boutique for Infant, Toddler, and Little Girls

I would imagin most people use the 468 x 60.

But truthfully, I don't use any banners on my site for ShareASale merchants. I prefer to use ShareASale merchants that offer datafeeds that includes 500 or more products contained within them.

I find that producing sales using these datafeeds are alot easier plus there is less work on the affiliate.

It would be nice if ShareASale did have alot more datafeeds offered by merchants as I just like using them on my site alot.

lots of our affiliates us our data-feed,
    i think its easier for them.
    though they do use text and banners also
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

ABW Ambassador
    I'm doing some content development and converting some pages to mostly text so I'm not bogged down with keeping up with product updates as much because of pages ending up looking like crud.

Some merchants just pull graphics and products and leave me with not found and missing images in pages with no notice - like a week after I update, as happened recently. That is NOT fun on optimized, hand-rolled pages and can be embarrassing.

That one merchant (from SAS, btw) in particular has converted nicely for me consistently in the past, but not in a while - I assume it's because of their images going missing on me. It isn't worth the time to watch over them constantly, figuring out the ROI on time spent. Needless to say, that merchant's direct product links are getting pulled.

I'll be needing small ones that are nice (88x31, 120x60 or thereabouts), hopefully that link to *sections* - if only to add a little graphical color to pages that are mostly text, where I'm putting in a descriptive pitch and links to particular merchants. I also like 120x240 sometimes, for right hand side columns which are good page real estate.

I prefer as many choices as possible. There's some sort of Murphy's Law operating that says the size I want for the site I am going to place it on, just happens to be the one size the merchant hasn't provided...

I figure that most of the work is the overall design, only a fraction of the work involved is making it fit different sizes.

I do definitely prefer static ads.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread