BHO ads on ABW
    When I am not logged in to ABW the threads display ads. Thats fine but the majority of the ads are for smileycentral.com and the likes, which I believe bundles the likes of MyWebSearch and other adware/spyware software which is not so cool. I thought this board was concerned with getting this stuff off peoples computers not display banner ads promoting it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That's some really weird behavior you're seeing! I'm not only surprised at you seeing something different while logged out, but I'm also surprised that you're not seeing any ads while logged IN!

From my computer (which is clean of p-ware), using IE:
    1) There's always ads at the top of the page at ABW
    1a) They're usually for affiliate programs. But some are for merchant CC places and stuff like that. And ALL are industry-related in some way. No smiley central or other crap of that type.

2) When I logged out to check, the same ads were showing while logged out.

Are you sure the parasite isn't on your own computer?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Sounds like something on your computer is doing the old switcharoo on the banner ads.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yep, definitely sounds like you've gotten something on your computer if you are seeing those types of ads. One common source for software that switches banners is supposed ad blocking software. I've come across a few that don't actually block ads but rather just replace ads on sites with theirs.

You might want to download MS Antispyware or Spy Sweeper by Webroot or Ad-Aware by Lavasoft ... theres others.. these are the ones that Ive used in the past.

There are many threads about this in this forum with great advice. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by ono
    When I am not logged in to ABW the threads display ads. Thats fine but the majority of the ads are for smileycentral.com and the likes, which I believe bundles the likes of MyWebSearch and other adware/spyware software which is not so cool. I thought this board was concerned with getting this stuff off peoples computers not display banner ads promoting it.

----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    Yep, definitely sounds like you've gotten something on your computer if you are seeing those types of ads. One common source for software that switches banners is supposed ad blocking software. I've come across a few that don't actually block ads but rather just replace ads on sites with theirs.
    Last month I made this post here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=56302

And since I only got a reply from Leader and from KGP, I decided to let the thread die just in case I was seeing things.

But today ono just posted exactly the kind of ads from smileycentral and others that I saw that day too.

I don't have nothing in my computer, so I know it's not my computer the one showing those ads.

If anyone want to see the ads for themselves, all they have to do is browse the forums while you're offline (not logged in to ABW)

Read the post on the link above and then you will see what is the source of those ads.

Sal.

Internet Cowboy
    I saw the smilie ads a while back when I wass viewing ABW from my laptop while I was on the road.
    I figure it is Haiko's decision to let whoever he wants advertise. We may not agree with it, but we have to respect his decision.
    I did not get any kind of driveby, only saw the banner ads for the smilie site that is a known BHO.
    There is one on there now that is the "Click here because you are our weekly winner" ad. I clicked one of those a while back from another site and indeed got a driveby of a nasty BHO that it took me a while to eradicate. This ad might be different, but BHO's have used this type of banner in the past.

I saw the smilie ads a while back when I wass viewing ABW from my laptop while I was on the road.
    I figure it is Haiko's decision to let whoever he wants advertise. We may not agree with it, but we have to respect his decision.
    I agree with that and I have no problem with the way he wants to advertise.

But I don't like when people say that the problem is in our computers because it's not.

If you're offline and read some long threads these ads show up:

-
    I don't if the three .gif files will show, this is the first time that I use that feature.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mr. Sal; April 26th, 2005 at 11:07 AM. Reason: I learned how to upload the files.

On Friday added Advertising.com ads to the unregistered page views and have not been given the login information to slect the ads that are allowed to run. Prior to I was running CPM ads from Casale and had the same situation with them. Please understand that there is no freakin way in hell that I would advertise the crap intentionally. The ads are every five posts and are specifically designed to annoy people to register, not to infest them.

All the ads are gone until I get my login information ---

Attached are the codes for the sizes that you requested. These tags will start off with a Classmates campaign to show that they are working. Once loaded into your system, and after our systems recognizes that they’re live, they will begin to rotate ads through them. Our AdLearn system will then begin to “learn” what the best ad is to place in front of the best person. This takes a few days because AdLearn is starting out with no data about visitors to your site.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Well historically I've known you to drop using specific Ad Networks because of certain banners they've slipped in regardless of filters set through your account. That kind of stuff is so common with Ad Networks on CPM deals these days. It's really hard for webmasters. I know many affs who have faced the same thing on their sites using CPM deals as filler and found out (unbeknownst to them) the worse happened (ie driveby installs). And no, I've seen no drivebys happening on the ads on ABW.

Haiko,

I trust you and I know that you would not advertise that crap intentionally, the thing I saw was that the Casale one is the one that show those ads once in a while.

But I really don't mind because as long as I am logged in, I will not see them and if I decide to browse offline, I don't worry tampoco because I don't allow any ActiveX in my computer.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    Might try out Google soon, should be more available in coming weeks

http://www.internetweek.com/allStori...leID=161502592

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    But I don't like when people say that the problem is in our computers because it's not.
    I am sorry Sal and ono --- I didnt mean to imply that the problem was your computer, but for your own safety to make sure to scan it and not have any of that crappy scum ware on your PC.

I recently had an issue with Casale showing ads I don't want on my site. I complained to them, and suddenly now I'm only earning a penny a day, whereas my earnings were somewhat better before. I suspect they may have been slipping in these other ads all along, although perhaps not intentionally.

I had seen a few off things before, like double popunders on my site when I was supposed to only serve one, and figured they were just glitches -- from now on I'll be more on guard.

I've never had a problem like this with Fastclick, I'm happy to say.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The ads are every five posts~Haiko
    Ah that explains it. I must not have looked far enough when I logged out to check...I was just looking at the top of the screen where the regular banners usually are.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    On Friday added Advertising.com ads to the unregistered page views and have not been given the login information to slect the ads that are allowed to run. Prior to I was running CPM ads from Casale and had the same situation with them. Please understand that there is no freakin way in hell that I would advertise the crap intentionally. The ads are every five posts and are specifically designed to annoy people to register, not to infest them.

All the ads are gone until I get my login information ---

haiko i thought casale gives you immediate access and ability to select what type of banners to show.

its the first time i hear this -as i have mentioned on another post i work with casale on some site-.

not to mention that most of the CPM networks work with these type of banners which after selection they can get you.....virtually "anywhere"

KGP,

Yeah, I'm making this up so I can get another $0.65 ecpm.

BTFW - this was resolved last week and the pimping of Casale ... a noted adserver of many of the pware ads (as I've come to learn) is useless as most of their ads are for parasites ... just like value click ... BTW I got tuened down by them because I said I wouldn't push their drive by Gator install ads.

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ValueClick, and that gay Canuke Adwhore network Casale, love to shove drive-by & bundling installs on the unsuspecting. Wonder why that taited fruit doesn't fall far from the VC tree in CJ's backyard??
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Umm... I use valueclick and have an agreement with my rep - no adware and no popups. he has no problem filtering all of them for me before they hit the sites. I have to say by far, valueclick is my favorite company to deal with in the ad space. While i wish they would not have some of their clients at all, as a whole they have many more legit advertisers than fastclick or casale, and their support is top notch. Send an email with an issue, get a phone call or email back within the hour.

By the way if you run cpm ads and hate spyware/adware run from budsinc. They continually have publishers who screw up their system and make drive-by installs get served - i am not kidding they blame the publisher. I was kicked by them for posting my issues with them on GV. Run, run, run from them.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    KGP,

Yeah, I'm making this up so I can get another $0.65 ecpm.

BTFW - this was resolved last week and the pimping of Casale ... a noted adserver of many of the pware ads (as I've come to learn) is useless as most of their ads are for parasites ... just like value click ... BTW I got tuened down by them because I said I wouldn't push their drive by Gator install ads.

sorry haiko, i wasnt trying to be ironic ....just wondering how casale went on like this

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread