Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SAS v.s. AffiliateWiz
    Hello...

I am starting up an affiliate program as a merchant, and would like to know some information about the pros and cons of the two options I have narrowed it down to... we can host our own scripts, and am thinking of purchasing a license for AffiliateWiz (we would need ASP .NET), however I am seeing sooo much support for SAS that I am thinking of going with this network solution instead.

the product I am selling is sports testimonials. ... and can give away up to a total of 50% of the sale, but that included incentives, bonuses and other costs affiliated with this program.

we have to be able to manage our affiliates, supply banners, track and report everything, show the RIO and protect against fraud.

thank you.

We charge you, the merchant, 20% fee for each transaction
    is it just me, or does this seem rediculously high to anyone else? 20%?!?!?!! WOW. if you're charging that, then we only have 30% left to work with, which drops our tier one comissions down to about 10% this is NOT COOL.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    sstark,

From www.shareasale.com/pricing.cfm

"Fees are based on the payout rate. For example,if you pay an affiliate $1 per lead, you pay shareasale.com 20% or $0.2
    (Minimum of 1 cent per transaction)"

It is 20% based on the payout to affiliates, not the gross sales amount.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

well ok, yea that makes alot more sense. ... so if I pay out 20% I am actually only paying out 14% to the affiliate, and 6% to SAS.... so I would SAS advertise it as 14% or 20% comission?

If you advertise 20%, you will pay out to an affiliate 20% - the ShareASale fees are on top of that. Your total payout in that case would be 24% (20% to affiliates and then 20% of 20% which is 4% to ShareASale)
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

ok, thank you for clearing this up...

...now can you tell me about the advantages of SAS ove AffiliateWiz? and vice versa?

Sstark,

My suggestion would be to call our Sales dept. and speak with them about your specific program and what might be best. The two that you are talking about here are on very different sides of the fence because one (ShareASale) is a network program, and the other (AffiliateWiz) is software that is hosted and run on your own. Both have advantages and disadvantages and I've heard good reviews on AffiliateWiz if you choose to go the route of a more private label, software solution.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

ok Brian, I will do that. just have to find the number now.

Thanks,

Brian Littleton

haha yea I already called...

...they have to phone me back because they dont know if my website is allowed to become a part of SAS...

see we sell sports handicaps, and have affiliate links on our site to sports betting companies. We do no betting ourselves... so yea it's being judged and I am waiting on a call back.

good news I was approved.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    sstark,
    I am seeing sooo much support for SAS
    Correct, SAS is a great start. Glad your site was approved.

Reminder, remove/replace affiliate links on your site as they are considered competiton and a leak to other affiliates you will want to recruite.

is it just me, or does this seem rediculously high to anyone else? 20%?!?!?!! WOW. if you're charging that
    LOL, glad Brian explained it here. It's a very nominal fee.

Brian, I've sent a few emails back and forth to some merchants (some calls)until they finally understand, LOL, always happy to explain and educate.

Well, I probably would not use a gambling related site, myself, because of the concern that it could lead others into temptation. However, I can't for the life of me think of ANY reason that you would NOT want a large pool of affiliates to have immediate ability to see that you offer such things if that is what they choose to promote and you are the kind of merchant they search for to put on their site.

Of course, you will still need to promote your program a lot to catch the affiliate's eye. There are a lot of merchants competing to get on those web properties. No network is the magic bullet that will help you avoid that necessary work.

But, come on, SAS ensures that we will get paid and who wants to gamble on that?

If you are unknown to most, you will certainly want SAS due to the fact that you will, at least, be trusted to pay. Therefore, affiliates are more likely to give you a chance.

If you are an independant, who speaks for you? Who says you will pay and do it on time? Who says you will not buddy down with parasites? When you are with SAS, those things are assured.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

some very good points here...

Reminder, remove/replace affiliate links on your site as they are considered competiton and a leak to other affiliates you will want to recruite.
    I cannot remove the affiliate links on my website, as we have a long standing and healthy relationship with them, and do not want to change this.

If you are unknown to most, you will certainly want SAS due to the fact that you will, at least, be trusted to pay. Therefore, affiliates are more likely to give you a chance.
    I definatly like being trusted. I am starting out with a strike against me coming out of the gate, that we are affiliated with gambling sites, even though we only sell the handicaps. I want to make this affiliate program run as smoothly as possible, doing the best I can to help my affiliates and pay them the most commissions that we can allow.

But how do I get noticed by affiliates? If i'm new, my rating starts out in the shitter. Is there and paid advertisment on SAS that could help me be noticed? Ofcourse, there's always this, and other, great forums, and other methods of marketting, but rightnow I am talking about just within the SAS network itself.

Yes. For a price. I am sure Brian can make your presence known very well. But, I think NaturHills Nursery isn't going to let go of primo placement very soon. Nor should they. They beat you to it. But, Brian has other very good spots that can put you front and center.

See! I KNOW without even looking who is right up front. It works!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

yea I'm not looking to be number 1, just not at the bottom of the list either! :P

Internet Cowboy
    sstark,
    You will have a hard time getting affiliates for your handicapping service if you have affiliate links to betting sites on your web site. Most affiliates who would use your handicapping program also have their own affiliate relationships with betting sites and would consider your site a competitor. No affiliate in his/her right mind would send you traffic if it can leak out in to another betting site.
    Seriously consider setting up another site only for the handicapping service. Otherwise it is my opinion that you are wasting your time with an affiliate program....but only my opinion.

This is probably true. A second site sounds like a good solution.

I agree with Ssanf and UncleScooter - start a new site for affiliate program alone. We had to do something similar ourselves, mostly because we did not charge shipping seperately on our other sites. This was also a good move for us because we clubbed a lot of products from our other sites to make a 'super site'. This way we do not have to do affiliate marketing for each indivudual site and not pick up the costs associated for all. This option also gives us a better perspective of how well our affiliate marketing efforts are doing, well SAS also does a good job in providing us with tracking reports.

well we already thought about this and that's why there is .net version of the .com website , which has no affiliate links. The rest of the website is still the same.

I suppose its time to use this as our primary affiliate website.

Quote Originally Posted by sstark
    well we already thought about this and that's why there is .net version of the .com website , which has no affiliate links. The rest of the website is still the same.

Good Luck. ABW is a great place to learn about Affiliate marketing.

Internet Cowboy
    ABW is a great place to learn about Affiliate marketing.
    So true. I have seen and/or been a part of so many threads here where a new merchant was launching a program that didn't have a chance to succeed because of issues that affiliates would have. Most merchants are receptive to issues affiliates bring up here, at least the smart merchants are.
    There have been a few merchants who copped an attitude and left things the way they were and guess what.......their affilaite programs failed. Such is life.
    Once again, you will hardly ever run in to an affiliate giving you bad advice here. Without the merchants, we don't exist and without us, your affiliate program doesn't either. ABW is a wonderful environment for the mutual benefit to both parties. SAS is the best place to launch your affiliate program and you are going to take a LOT less heat with SAS due to their anti-parasite policy. Look at the CJ and LS forums and look at all the anger generated in there over those networks and their pet parasites.

I would never even consider another networking solution. I had put them out of my mind completely until I cam across SAS here, and now I am actually going ahead with SAS. That says alot right there

I am the type of merchant who wants to work with my affiliates as closely as possible to ensure that they are making sales, and everything is going smoothly. I want to work with the affiliates as much as possible with changing elements within the site, however at the same time I will have to go through the chain of command here in the office to have things actually change with the website.

anyhow, you have all amazed me with your support and responses. This thread has become very supportive and helpful

~cheers

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    There have been a few merchants who copped an attitude and left things the way they were and guess what.......their affilaite programs failed. Such is life.
    Ditto on UncleScooter reply.

I cannot remove the affiliate links on my website
    You almost lost affiliates here, and your program could have gone down hill.

But your response here shows you are willing to make changes and listen and make your program work, no matter what it takes.

I have sent some emails educating merchants on parasites and on the "little" things such as this and telling them to remove affiliate links from their site, changing colors, banners and always refer them to start a topic on ABW. Many never reply back and move on within their own ways, never to be heard of again.

That's what we need more merchants to do, as you have done, and willing to come here and "listen" and make it work.

No matter what your office disagrees with, keep the communication here going and make it work for your affiliates!

No matter what your office disagrees with, keep the communication here going and make it work for your affiliates!
    not to worry bro, I'm not going anyplace! I have always turned to the best message boards around to learn and develop my skills, and to make sure I am on the right path. You all help out soo much, I am hooked. life time member now.

and I want to do the best thing possible for my affiliates...

is there a chance we could let the affiliate CHOOSE to link to the .net or the .com versions of my website? Affiliates that do not have sports books would benefit from linking to the .com site more than the .net.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast