When I buy stuff from my own site...?
    Okay - I am gearing up for some major purchases. I know that Amazon won't pay me on my own purchases. They also say they won't pay me for my family and friends purchases. What is up with that- if my friends buy stuff from my site they won't pay me? How do they know who my friends are.Anyway just a quick question maybe to keep me from having to read a bunch of affiliate agreements-
    Does anyone know if the following companies pay on purchases that you make from your own site-
    1. Walmart
    2. Target
    3. DisneyDirect
    4. Sears

Thanks in advance

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Yes to the first two. Not sure about the last two.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Thanks- Those are the ones I was hoping for the most!

Not to cloud the issue, but some say they will, and then don't police it.

As for Amazon (or anyone else that says they can) being able to tell if your friend buys something, that's laughable. But, if they get 10 percent that are honest about it, then they've saved a few dollars.

If the billing and shipping address are the same as that used by you in the LS interface, then that is obviously a giveaway.

Short story, I do it all the time. One catch - you have to pay income taxes on the income you earn from your commissions. Of course, you've already paid income taxes (theoretically) on the money you use to buy your item, then you'll have to pay income taxes on the commission earned from the sale (that's taxes x2). Just make sure the taxes are less than the commission you earn

Fred

I agree with you CheapMom about Amazon's policy. I can see perhaps about trying to stop people from joinig their program just to make purchases and save. If they set it to something like a minimum of 10 purchases from site visitors before you can shop your own links would take care of that. I never understood the friends and family thing. Other than last name there would be no way they could tell ; )

If they set it to something like a minimum of 10 purchases from site visitors before you can shop your own links would take care of that
    Shame on you Packy - they might like that idea!

As for Amazon, I used my link accidently at Christmas (I was just looking for something and forgot I had clicked through my link to make a purchase). I noticed that when I got paid, they backed out my commission and referrenced it as a personal purchase. So they do pay attention to personal sales but I have no idea how they could enforce family and friends. That's crazy. I'm thankful my sister has a different last name than me because she uses my links all the time - love those faithful customers!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

consider which computer the friends and families are using to place the order. also which ISP they are using -- same as yours? those are the obvious gotchas.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    Shame on you Packy - they might like that idea!

As for Amazon, I used my link accidently at Christmas (I was just looking for something and forgot I had clicked through my link to make a purchase). I noticed that when I got paid, they backed out my commission and referrenced it as a personal purchase. So they do pay attention to personal sales but I have no idea how they could enforce family and friends. That's crazy. I'm thankful my sister has a different last name than me because she uses my links all the time - love those faithful customers!
    I did the same thing at Christmas. I wasn't doing it purpose, really, no I mean it. I never noticed whether they took it away or not. I did do a lot of shopping there for x-mas and made it a point not to click my links.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For some reason there always seems to be a relevant cookie on my machine when I buy things...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Amazon.com is one of just a few who has that policy. Most affiliate managers are more than happy to let you buy through your own links. If you join a program just to "get a discount", that might be another story.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread