Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Exclamation Shocking News About 180Solutions!
    180Solutions buys the Center for Democracy and Technology! And not only that but the Center for Democracy and Technology is one of the largest distributors of stealth installs of 180's software. ::

But then, very recently, news came out over the radar that 180 had made an interesting move: they’d bought the Center for Democracy and Technology (CDT)—one of their largest distributors and by some accounts one of the main sources of 180s problems with stealth installation.
    According to Adbumb.

15 years and counting
    Kellie there's two CDT.
    One is the Center for Democraty
    http://www.cdt.org/
    The Center for Democracy and Technology works to promote democratic values and constitutional liberties in the digital age. With expertise in law, technology, and policy, CDT seeks practical solutions to enhance free expression and privacy in global communications technologies. CDT is dedicated to building consensus among all parties interested in the future of the Internet and other new communications media.

The other is a Canadian Company CDT
    I think IST and CDT are related in some way, both companies are working in the same place.
    CDT is a distributor of adult toolbars
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t=180Solutions

Anyway, I just hope, they end up in jail, the sooner the better

http://news.com.com/Deal+may+mean+sh...3-5660393.html

Now, how a company like CJ can still work with such a piece of cr@p?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    LOL Zeus...I know that but obviously AdBlumb doesn't. That was the "According to AdBlumb" part of my post. I'm still wiping up the coffee I spit everywhere when I read that. That's kind of like reporting Heidi Fleiss is buying a convent and being serious when you report it.

15 years and counting
    I know it's confusing. It took me some time to understand who is behind what. Once again, I'm too fast. LOL

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Yoo-hoo, Heidi! Here's a link to a convent in Wisconsin that's being sold on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4370864056

Look at the floor plans. I can see how it could easily be converted into a house of ill-repute. Or a bed-and-breakfast.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Since I just sent CDT.ORG a movie of 180 popping over their site -and- I have been talking with the CDT.ORG offline about the abuse, I stained my shorts a minute or two before I realized this announcement is not about CDT.ORG... but some other CDT... the canadian CDT...

Someone should write AdBumb...

I looked here and they must have corrected it already...
    http://www.adbumb.com/topics/180sol.html

nevermind...

shower time...

ABW Ambassador
    Funny comparing some of that to what they posted here. I still remember the 180 rep talking about them knowing who the rogue installs were, but not deactivating the software because even though they were rogue installs, even though technically they could do that - all they really cared about was not paying the affiliate, they could care less that the end user was stuck with their software.

Chet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Very informative article at Adbumb pertains to the Spam Kink -Stanford Wallace turning over a new leaf by bringing new levels of sleazy deception into the Spyware/Adware area. Seems the FTC legal bulldogs have him, and this whole Adwhore industry, by the perverbial balls. Read this one and see the word is getting out....

Elizabeth G. Hines Editor-in-Chief, ADBUMB Inc.
    WHAT’S CONSENT GOT TO DO WITH IT?
    THE ADBUMB’s LOOK AT THE SPYWARE DEBATE
    http://www.adbumb.com/special.html

Neat exerpt from bottom: "Regardless of what Wallace himself is thinking about spyware these days, we in the industry have a responsibility to do more than operate at a base level of legality in our individual relations with consumers; we also need to be accountable for turning the image of the industry as a whole into one the consumer believes it can trust. How? By policing ourselves before the government has to do it. By blowing the whistle on those who flaunt the laws. And by caring about what we look like to those outside our industry. It was Cicero who put it best: “To disregard what the world thinks of us is not only arrogant but utterly shameless.”
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Watching adbumb talk about how 180 is bad for the industry is kind of like watching a car thief talking smack about shoplifters.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread