l@rger_th@n_life
    shopping carts for affiliates?
    Hello,

I have a domain and wanted to know if there is a shopping cart script for affiliates. What i mean, to be more specific, is that the script will have categories and products nad when a user clicks on a product it will go to teh information and then if they view more or buy it now they will be taken to theri affiliate site.

Is there a system that has been developed like this, if so can someone recommend any.

I also wanted to see how a one page sales site looks like, bieng a noobie i cant differenciate, does anybody have one that I can look at or point me to one that is active.

Sorry for asking all these questions, thanks in advance.

l@rger_th@n_life

I've heard of affiliates using OS Commerce for datafeeds. I haven't tried it myself, but it's not very far fetched. It's actually a great solution if you don't want to build your own. I built my own system and boy was it a big task. Took me well over 200 programming hours and I'm just now catching up with competition like Pricegrabber and Bizrate.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

l@rger_th@n_life
    Woa, making you rown shopping cart, that must be time consuming. I am making one for a client right now so i know how it is. I gotta read more and see how i could do this afiliate stuff.

There is a very small crowd of merchants that open up their back end systems to affiliates lodging the orders, but it's not for the timid. I'm sure Amazon does and Ebay is almost there. At a minimum you should know how to write to RPCs and APIs, and ideally you know an object protocol like SOAP or fake it with PHP5 and XML.

Interesting tidbit of history. Buy.com got it's start when they hacked Ingram Micro's proprietary datafeed system called IMDSI, a variant of EDI (Electronic Date Interchange). I was working in Ingram's web development group when they took on that task. Buy.com got it tweaked so they could field orders via the web, place them to Ingram's mainframe through IMDSI, and were able to broker B2C orders without ever having to carry inventory. In 1997/1998 this was pretty revolutionary stuff, and in theory not too far removed from affiliate marketing. A few years later they wooed VP of Sales Greg Hawkings to really get the show going. Greg was an old boss of mine back in Major Accounts.

It's no surprise they would embrace affiliate marketing a few years later, but I doubt they are going to open up their systems any time soon.
    [LEFT]Scott :tartanber [URL=http://www.scotthamilton.net]My Vanity Page[/URL][/LEFT]

I started my site from scratch, but I know that alot of people modify Link Directory scripts for use in affiliate marketing. If you know PHP, it shouldn't be too hard.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread