Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Spitzer Sues Intermix Over 'Spyware'
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...pitzer_spyware

I'm smiling as i read this:

"Spyware and adware are more than an annoyance," Spitzer said. "These fraudulent programs foul machines, undermine productivity and in many cases frustrate consumers' efforts to remove them from their computers. These issues can serve to be a hindrance to the growth of e-commerce."

"Spitzer's civil suit accuses Intermix of violating state General Business Law provisions against false advertising and deceptive business practices. He also accuses them of trespass under New York common law."

15 years and counting
    Great news

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Like I said ...Spitzer is a bloodhound on the sent trail of the Adwhores Gone- Wild group and don't believe he's not seeking redress from the merchant's monitizing this consumer system hijackings. If you don't think he doesn't have the power to demand access to Linkshares server and payout stats your a nieve New Yorker.

Nice to see the media pickup on all these infestation perps acting as front ends for the unethical merchants who OPT-IN to use them to whack their competition with hired Adwhore asassins.

Read this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6689667/site/newsweek/
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Internet Cowboy
    I encourage everyone here to contact Spitzer's office using the link below to voice your concerns about this topic.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/online_forms/email_ag.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    Excellent, he has such a great track record for thinking outside the box to nail what he knows is scams. I love the mix of charges, won't be so simple for them to duck.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Good idea, we need to introduce Ben to Spitzer unless they already know each other. He might have something he can use.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I have something GREAT to send him right now!!!!

But his site is down and the link UncleScooter posted above has been offline for at least the last 15 minutes.

I get an error at both of these...
    http://www.oag.state.ny.us/online_forms/email_ag.jsp
    http://www.oag.state.ny.us/

HELP?

NY OAG site back up now... emailing Elliot...

Just sent to NY OAG, CDT.ORG and FTC.GOV...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dear Mr. Spitzer,

I saw that you're going after Spyware folks in court - I thought you should see this movie I made today.
    It documents abuse at the official website of NEW YORK STATE OFFICE FOR THE AGING.
    http://www.1source4.info/0504-7sd-nystate/nystate.html
    It shows a Canadian Pharmacy site popping ads, via spyware/adware, right over the guide prepared by the state of New York to make recommendations to its Senior Citizens on health care issues.

Other abuses I have reported this month:

Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT):
    (spyware, disguides as anti-spyware, popping on the official CDT.ORG site)
    http://www.1source4.info/0504-7hj-cdt/cdt.html

Customs & Immigration Service (USCIS):
    (green card lottery scam popping on the USCIS.GOV site)
    http://www.1source4.info/0504-xd3-uscis/uscis.html

Federal Trade Commission (FTC):
    (online degree scam popping on the FTC.GOV - on the FTC page that warns of online degree scams!)
    http://www.1source4.info/0504-ehh-ftc/ftc.html

US Small Business Administration (SBA):
    (canadian company profiting off of the SBA.GOV official site)
    http://www.1source4.info/0504-km9-sba/sba.html

Internal Revewnue Service (IRS):
    (tax software that pops on the individual tax preparer section of the official IRS.GOV site)
    http://www.1source4.info/0504-6vb-irs/irs.html

Please act to stop this widespread abuse!

Thanks,

PS - I am also submitting this to the CDT.ORG and filing a consumer complaint with the FTC.

Also, note the URL of the pop-up ad (see movie) that triggers off of the NY State Office For The Aging...

http://www.canadadrugs.com/index.php...ide/guide1.htm

Interesting data in that pop up ad...

"ref=md1" --> appears they're tracking their ROI for their Metrics Direct (md1) campaign. Metrics Direct is the ad-signup part of Zango / 180 search / Metrics Direct. I hope Elliot Spitzer subpoenas their records and learns how much they owe the state of New York for marketing and exposure they've stolen.

AND more importantly, they reveal here -->
    "keyword=aging.state.ny.us/findhelp/guide/guide1.htm"
    that they are specifically targeting this URL.
    Popping over the New York State Official Site is not a mistake or a keyword faux paus!
    They have taken aim at this specific page that is owned by the State of New York.
    Just as they do millions of times each day.
    Last edited by Donuts; April 28th, 2005 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    If you don't think he doesn't have the power to demand access to Linkshares server and payout stats your a nieve New Yorker.
    Ha! That information is probably offline due to the consolidated payments mess. :-) :-)
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Internet Cowboy
    I wonder what the networks will do when Mr. Spitzer and his band of Internet Cowboys turn their focus on the pet parasites of the major networks.
    I would say when this happens the networks will drop them like a used kleenex.
    Hmmmmmmmmm. Makes ya wonder doesn't it?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    FINALLY Spitzer is aiming right. So are these real laws this time or is he torturing some regulation he dug up to make it fit?

My support is only because it's strategic...hopefully he'll win against the parasiteware, and THEN I'll return to my standard opinion that he can go fly a kite!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    FINALLY Spitzer is aiming right. So are these real laws this time or is he torturing some regulation he dug up to make it fit?

My support is only because it's strategic...hopefully he'll win against the parasiteware, and THEN I'll return to my standard opinion that he can go fly a kite!
    DITTO! I think he's a showboater too, but can't complain when he's aiming correctly.

No time for forums (fori? forae?) RiverStyx's Avatar
    Donuts...
    You are fantastic -- keep up the good work, and thank you.

RS

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader

Lovely. You'd make a good politician - one that only does something when there's something in it for them.

Internet Cowboy
    I don't know anything about this guy and I don't care to on a personal level. I don't live in NY. If he is going after these scammers and drive-by artists, he has my 100% support and respect because there IS something in it for me. There is something in it for us all. We should get behind this guy and e-mail him and tell him we are behind him. I don't know how much of a difference that would make, but it can't hurt!
    Besides there being something in it for me, going after these companies is the right thing to do. I had one computer a few years back whacked beyond repair by a BHO. It was simply easier for me to buy a new computer. These people destroy people's private property and they should pay for that.
    I have a feeling that if Mr. Spitzer has anything to do with it, they will. So I say GO SPITZER GO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Lovely. You'd make a good politician - one that only does something when there's something in it for them.
    I don't know what Leader's overall perspective is, but my own is that Spitzer is interested in issues that he feels may be helpful in his quest for higher elected office (much as Rudy G. was back in the day).

I'm glad, as is Leader, that he happened to hit upon an issue that is important to us as a group, but am not convinced that he really cares about it. Fortunately for him, I don't vote in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    You're suggesting I should blast Spitzer's latest, too, then--that I should shoot myself in the foot out of some cloudy principle?

Or should I lie outright and say I support *everything* he does?

Spritzer
    E-mail sent to Spritzer.

Donuts, one helluva job on the movies and the official contacts you sent them to.

Leader,

LOL. Isn't America great? In other countries you could be thrown in jail for telling a public official to "go fly a kite".

Waitaminnit, those countries forbid their citizens to own computers and have the Internet, don't they?

Proud to be an American.
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Isn't America great? In other countries you could be thrown in jail for telling a public official to "go fly a kite".
    Definitely!

Last edited by Donuts; April 29th, 2005 at 03:46 PM. Reason: url typo

Excerpt from 2nd link above:
    "Of note: Potential damages and penalties for the Adware vendors are signficant. Eliot Spitzer is suing Intermix for $500 damages per user who unknowingly downloaded Adware/Spyware, plus penalties. His initial estimate is that Intermix infected over 60,000 users' PCs in New York alone."

$500 x 60,000 = $30,000,000 for New York - just the Attorney General - others could sue them - like the users... and there's lots of states... and AG's....

I'm happy to read this news!!!

Let the finances unravel and we flush these dudes down the toilet where they belong.

Note references to Ben Edelman's work in the article!!!
    He is DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep! This is all good news. Affiliate marketing aside, the general public is sick and tired of having their computers damaged by this crap. No matter what Spitzer's political motivations might be, it's a giant step in the right direction. If more states follow suit and keep these companies tied up in court and they get hit hard with legal fees, court costs, damages, etc., it soon won't be worth their while to promote the scum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast