Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ages
    ok, I know age isnt a crutial matter in the world wide web, however it does come into play when developing a target market...

so I am curious... what is the average ages around here, both on the affiliate and merchant side of things?

To start things out, I am 23.

Your still a baby! I'am 63 and holding.

The last time somebody started a thread asking this question, it turned out to be quite a riot with everybody saying things like, "I'm so old my first computer was ... "

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=8234

So, I'll start with: I'm so old my first computer was a Zenith 100. It cost $5,000 and had two floppy 5 1/4" floppy drives.

alot of 20's and 30's I see... seems to be the trend

and I may be 23, but my 1st comp was a turbo XP 8mhz, 40mb glass hard drive, tape backup.

I'm 21, I've been that for 38 years and will stay that till the day I die LOL
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

No time for forums (fori? forae?) RiverStyx's Avatar
    Does it really matter?
    If you liken the Internet to TV, in the late 1940s a poll of the people who owned TVs would have been heavily skewed toward early adopters with money. In the early 1990s the people who had internet access and who put up web sites would have been mostly programmers, computer science engineers and researchers. Now, anyone with motivation to learn can put up a dynamic or even ecommerce web site on their own. IMHO, there will be a whole lot of people in their 40s, 50s and 60s joining the ranks real soon... as a measure of demographics AND because sometimes you have to live for a while before you realize that you CAN fly.......................................

RS

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm so old my first computer was a Friden Flexowriter Computyper. That was 31 years ago. You kiddies ever hear your grandparents talk about the days when programs ran on punch cards and tape?

That machine was so valuable that every evening before I left work I removed the CPU and brought it to the General Manager's office where it was locked in a safe overnight.

It was so noisy that I had a private office overlooking a waterfall. The hope was that the noise from the waterfall would drown out the noise from the computyper. It didn't work

I was 19 years old and such a dumb kid that I didn't even realize I was operating a computer.

Last time I saw one was in the 90s, lying in pieces in a storeroom. The guy running the computer shop asked me, "Do you think the Smithsonian might like to have it?"

Damn, I'm old. Maybe the Smithsonian would like to have me.

I'm so old my first computer was a single board COSMAC VIP by RCA, running an 1802 microprocessor, 2kb of ram (expandable to 4kb), and a 32 x 64 pixel resolution screen. Data input was by hex keypad, and storage was by audio cassette tape. With that little RAM you hand code your own assembly language programs. It was about 26 years ago and I was in high school.
    [LEFT]Scott :tartanber [URL=http://www.scotthamilton.net]My Vanity Page[/URL][/LEFT]

Internet Cowboy

Your all nothing but a bunch of young kids my first computer was an Abacus LOL
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

I turned 27 last month. I wish I could have gotten into online marketing when I was a lot younger...

I'm 50. I too wish that I had gotten into online marketing when I was younger. This is funding my retirement account

Quote Originally Posted by RiverStyx
    IIn the early 1990s the people who had internet access and who put up web sites would have been mostly programmers, computer science engineers and researchers.
    And they're still pissed off that us "common" folk were allowed in.

ABW Ambassador
    I'll be 11 in August. 4 years ago i was on Oprah with some other kids. One played Piano, the other could draw real good. My parents are both in computers and that's how i got into them. My first site ever was based on Nickolodean games and that site got me on Oprah. My parents pay to have me home schooled. Her name is Amy, she's 23 and comes by Mon to Fri to teach me. Parents think it's reading, writing and arithmitic, but i already know all that stuff. What she really does is handle my graphics, newsletter, link exchanges, stuff i don't like to do. I pay her well. And she takes to me to the playground to teeter totter and then we get Wendy's Hamburgers or Pizza for lunch. Also break off a little change to my older brother since all the accounts and other stuff are in his name. Some kind of age discrimination going on against kids, it's wrong.

I'll be 11 in August
    ??????

in that case,,,, i am only 21,,,,,,,,,,,,,TWICE
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I've been into affiliate marketing since 1999 - will be 20 this june (not kidding!!!)
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

I'm 26 . I'm into affiliate marketing since 2001.

ABW Ambassador
    >>Your still a baby! I'am 63 and holding.
    Hey, goombah! I'm looking for a geezer right around your age or thereabouts! Are you spoken for, or are you up for grabs?

My first computer was IBM Aptiva E74, and it still is the one use and love.

Still have my hair, in their original color. I had the first grey hair when I was 20. Then I started dating this girl, and that grey hair turned back to black again. I pulled it off and still keep it It's really black & white.

ABW Ambassador
    My first computer was an IBM 8088, bought used from a neighbor moving back to the UK because it's so *unfriendly* here in Calif. It's still under the bed.

My first computer was a ZX81. It had 1K memory but you could still play games on it. It cost me $600.

I wish, I wish, I wish I had considered the internet as a business in 1996, and not just a hobby

Anyone under 30: making your fortune before 30 will set you up for life. Making it over 30 (married with kids scenario) will merely pay for what you have to pay for...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Anyone under 30: making your fortune before 30 will set you up for life. Making it over 30 (married with kids scenario) will merely pay for what you have to pay for...
    That all depends on what kind of "fortune" you're talking about.

36 for me.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    So, I'll start with: I'm so old my first computer was a Zenith 100. It cost $5,000 and had two floppy 5 1/4" floppy drives.
    I sold and serviced Z100's (and Z120's too!)
    Haven't been into this as long as some of the folks here who programmed with Toggle Switches, but I do remember punch cards (Awww, man, when am I gonna learn to number em? Darn those windy winters!
    Started out with a teletype connection from high school to the university. Saved programs to punch tape (the janitors hated it when you let the hole punch tray overflow) Moved up to the first of the AppleII's - 40 column 9 inch monitor, 64K RAM, save to cassette recorder. The great accomplishment was coming up with an elegant algorythm to do a screen print to an RX-80 printer. Killed the ribbon though.
    Still had punch cards in University, but they got the first terminals before I graduated. The big deal was going to the computer center and watching the big "B" flash in LED's on the Burroughs mainframe.
    On my 4th personal laptop now, with a couple towers under the desk as well. I just ordered a Fujitsu Tablet PC with the inside/outside screen so I can do photo editing on the deck this summer.
    Oh, the answer to your question? Don't you know?
    42, of course.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Cool
    I was a teletype network supervisor in the 60's on Wall Street, and the liaison between our company and Western Union's Univac (shared) over in Mahwah NJ. Actually, I was the whipping boy who had to explain to the brass why the programming wasn't quite ready for prime time yet. My first computer, however, was a cast-off IBM XT one of my kids dropped on me when he upgraded during college in the late 80's. I learned to use the flatform database program that was on it and the basis for my first site was born. I still use that database for text generation and wish it had gone through 2K rewrite. but it works.

and I've run about every computerized and strike-on typesetting system that almost ever was. and still have hand-set capability here in the house -- wanna buy some type?

Now I'm over 65 and yes, wish I could remember what I wish for.

36 here.

I got my first computer around 1982. It was a Commodore 64. I had to write my programs down and retype them when I wanted to run them. Eventually, I was able to afford a tape drive. Then a floppy. Then a high-capacity 1 MB floppy. Then a huge 10 MB hard drive.

My first modem was 300 baud, which I was able to tweak up to about 400 baud. I started a BBS around 1985 or 1986.

I got my first PC sometime around 1992 or 1993 (for around $3000). I had been working with Macs and PCs for several years, but couldn't afford one for myself.

I started my first web site in 1995.

I started my first affiliate site (Amazing-Bargains.com) in 1999. I went full-time in 2000.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast