Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Question Canadian French and French French
    Hi All

We're going to be doing some Canada focused banners for a couple of our merchants and I have a couple of questions

1. Is there any difference between Canadian French and French French, in terms of grammar and spelling etc.

2. If a Canadian clicks on a banner in French, but ends up on a site that is in English, how off putting is that?

3. Or from another angle if a Canadian clicks on a banner in French, and ends up on a US/CA site in French, how surprised and delighted are they?

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Chris who are you marketing to?

The only real Canadians who use french are from Quebec

Let me know....and I will help ya out

Chris Canadians are suposed to speak English and French. All business are suposed to put their info up in both French and English yet the bloody Queerbekers do not put anything in English. I say sod em and just use English.

Anyway with a bit of luck the Queerbekers won't be in Canada much longer LOL
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

OMG isnt it politically incorrect to call them queerbeckers??

Not that I care....when they wanted to seperate I was driving over with a shovel.

Unless your marketing poutine or OV beer....I wouldnt worry about the parlez vouz francais crap.....

Just my opinion

I'd never heard them called that until I moved to Alberta. I must admit though I like it LOL
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

Most young french canadians do speak english. It's only the old die hard french that are pushing the FRENCH ONLY bullshit! it's totally political. You also have to look at the market share of how many users there are in Quebec. Alberta has the most per capita. Welcome to redneck Alberta Gordon.

To answer your questions Chris:

1. There is no major difference between Canadian French and French in terms of grammar and spelling. The French language itself is tightly controlled by a group in France called the Académie française. This group sets out new words (for example email=couriel), etc. However French expressions and pronunciations are different in Canada. Even within Canada pronunciation varies greatly from Quebec (the only French province) to New Brunswick (the only bilingual province).

2. If a Canadian clicks on a banner in French, but ends up on a site that is in English I can't imagine they would continue shopping there. Much like if I clicked an English banner and ended up on a Spanish web site. That being said I would say a large majority of French speakers can read English and are used to doing so if they use the Internet a lot, so I could be wrong.

3. They would probably be rather happy you made the effort to speak to them in their language of choice.

As to the comments made by others they show a basic misunderstanding of French Canadians. Pretty much any survey you can find shows the number of French speakers is rapidly declining in Canada (currently 24%) as a whole and also in Quebec (the number of people that speak French at home in Montreal will be less than 50% in less than 20 years). The French strongly associate their language with their culture so they fear that their culture is being wiped out. This is somewhat similar to the Canadian fear of becoming the "51st state". Quebec's Bill 101 was put in place years ago to protect their language and culture by forcing people to use French in advertising, business communication, education, etc. As an Anglophone living in Montreal I honestly don't mind having to use French since I am part of a minority living in a French province.

On the topic of separation.. It came about from a few factors. There was also a time in Quebec's history where Francophones were considered the lower class and restricted to low paying jobs. This has changed now (the Silent Revolution), but a lot of resentment still exists with older people. The church is also partly to blame, as it used to have a great influence on Quebecers and would basically tell people how to vote ("Heaven is blue, hell is red"). Add in the fear of assimilation I just talked about, a lack of respect from other Canadians (see Gordon's post for example), etc. and seperation becomes a rather popular idea. The sponsorship scandal doesn't help much either.

I think you will find x0dus that the one of the main reasons many Canadians dislike the French Queerbecers is because we in all the other provinces have to display both English and French on our products and many other things yet the Queerbecers refuse to show anything in English. I once read a few years back that businesses in some part of Quebec were in fact penalised if they displayed anything in English, I don't know if it is true but I read it.

Personaly I am not too keen on the French but that is only due to the way I have been treated by them whilst holidaying in France. As with most peoples opinions, my opinion has quite probably been formed by a bad minority of the French people, but it left such a lasting impression that I doubt will ever leave me.

YouTrek

LOL....way too much information

Too bad I cant go and take my high school canadian history exam again

I'm 100% agree with x0dus.

The negative comments on Quebecois are part of reasons why they want to separate from Canada.

You can display in english in stores, but english words must be smaller.

Chris, very few answered your question. I guess it is funner to
    bash frenchies. I for one am happy to know french people and speak
    a little myself.

Xodus is quite correct. The main differences are in how it 'sounds' not
    so much in how it is written. I have a friend from France that can
    barely understand a quebec speaker.

Greg

Equal rights for everyone.
    Not equal rights for everyone else and something special for us because we are different.
    As an Anglophone living in Montreal I honestly don't mind having to use French since I am part of a minority living in a French province.
    You forgot to mention living in a french province in CANADA.
    lack of respect from other Canadians
    Works both ways.
    This is equal rights how?
    I for one am happy to know french people and speak
    Me too
    I have a friend from France that can barely understand a quebec speaker.
    I learned french in NB and montreal and I have to telly ya, Chicoutimi (sorry for the spelling) ****s me up totaly lol
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

This is exactly why you are so disliked in all the English speaking Provinces of Canada. I also suspect a lot of French speaking Quebecers dislike these same kind of rules as it stinks of rascism.
    It is a typical French reaction to anything English face it we English are better than you anyway LOL

It is time the Quebecers decided once and for-all whether they want to continue to live in Canada and abide by Canadian laws and rules or whether they should just shut up shop in Quebec and emigrate to France and live as a Frenchman. I personaly think if you need these kind of rules you should go to France.

If I ever get elected as Premier you will have no option, I will make it law that you go back LOL and you would have to pay your own fares LOL

YouTrek

You mean that Leach above us is another country?>

yeah yeah yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    Hi All

We're going to be doing some Canada focused banners for a couple of our merchants and I have a couple of questions

1. Is there any difference between Canadian French and French French, in terms of grammar and spelling etc.

2. If a Canadian clicks on a banner in French, but ends up on a site that is in English, how off putting is that?

3. Or from another angle if a Canadian clicks on a banner in French, and ends up on a US/CA site in French, how surprised and delighted are they?

Cheers

Chris
    Chris,

1 = yes
    2 = who cares?
    3 = again, who cares?
    -----------

Now,..................

While I understand why you ask those questions. (Be cause I know that some French speaking people from France have a problem with other people speaking French, if those other people are from Canada, Haiti or any other country that is not France.)

I don't understand what is the difference in the way you, as a merchant representative, has to worry about those little details.

Take this as an example:

If I am a Mejicano (Mexican) or an Italiano (Italian) marketer and I see your banners in Colombian, Puerto Rican, Costarican, Panamenian (Panamanian), Peruvian or Español from Spain (España), etc, etc.......

What the hell do I have to worry about?

If it's the same language, even with a different accent and is going to make me the same amount of money. Who cares about the little accent details?

ah, just forget it, I am just an Martian, what do I know about the earthlings anyway?

So...........

C'est la vie, Pal Carajo and frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

But if you really need a second opinion, ........

Ask Gordon, he is the best euro Canadian around here that I know and I know that he too don't give a damn, but he is honest too, just look at what he don't like lately

Mi no parle vu francé! , capiche?

SAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    It is time the Quebecers decided once and for-all whether they want to continue to live in Canada and abide by Canadian laws and rules
    There are Canada laws, provincial laws and municipal laws.

or whether they should just shut up shop in Quebec and emigrate to France and live as a Frenchman. I personaly think if you need these kind of rules you should go to France.
    Native people should say to you: go home!

If I ever get elected as Premier you will have no option, I will make it law that you go back LOL and you would have to pay your own fares LOL
    Never! That's what Mr Harper thinks. The majority of canadians didn't and won't elect him as PM.

SOM
    There are Canada laws, provincial laws and municipal laws.
    I would have thought that you being Canadian would know that the laws I was refering to (regarding languages) are CANADIAN Laws not Provincial or Municipal Laws therefore should be adhered to by all the Provinces not just the Provincies where the majority speak English.
    Native people should say to you: go home!
    I would leave Canada, allbeit broken hearted, if the real Canadian natives asked all the non-native peoples to go. But I would not take a blind bit of notice of anyone who has even a tiny drop of non Canadian blood running through his veins.

YouTrek

This is exactly why you are so disliked in all the English speaking Provinces of Canada. I also suspect a lot of French speaking Quebecers dislike these same kind of rules as it stinks of rascism.
    Sorry Gordon, but I am not a RASCIST! I am just sick and tired of the east dictating how things are going to be. Just look at what is going on with the enquiry, it's all about our money being funneled into Quebec,millions of dollars. This is down and out stealing and finally it's come to the surface. Many of those politicans should be jailed, especially Mr Cretian. Do you remember he approved a loan for 1,000,000 dollars to a friend for that hotel? And guess what Gordon? If there is an election the east will vote the CROOKS back in . Our income taxes are due in , and I would like to say to the thieves., WHEN YOU CLEAN UP THIS MESS I WILL FORWARD YOU MY RETURN!
    We need a strong PM to tell Quebec, You are part of Canada and that's how it is. Let's get on with the business of running this great country.

Mailman you misunderstand me.

I don't for one minute think you are rascist.

It is the Quebecers that make those stupid laws/rules that are rascist by not showing the English language as they should. I totally agree with you about them siphoning our money to give to the bloody Frogs and the other antics the have been up to.

When I lived on Vancouver Island we had a politician that was kicked out for thieving guess the rest of em are at it now eh?

As for that cretin Cretien, who the hell voted for a man that cannot even talk to you to your face?

Forgive me for the missunderstanding mailman that not what I meant for sure.

YouTrek

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Chris, people in Quebec pronounce French differently than people in Paris. The written language is the same. There are differences in idiomatic speech but otherwise the language is the same.

People in Quebec understand French spoken with a Parisian accent. I know this because French is taught in the US with a Parisian accent and the Quebecoise I've met had no trouble understanding my Parisian accent. (And they were very nice for not laughing at how I mangled their grammar.)

Mon accent Francais est tres bon, mais ma grammaire est terrible.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Thank you everyone who answered.

My questions have nothing to do with politics or the like, purely from a Merchant stand point of wanting to ensure that the right banner with the right message appears in front of the right audience and sends them to the right page on their site. We're looking at purely written , not spoken.

Even in English I can put up a banner in the UK saying "Buy Pants Here" and end up with the wrong traffic if I used the same banner in the USA... hence the need to know if Canadian French and French French vary at all .

What the hell do I have to worry about?
    If you had a bilingual site you might want to be sure that your visitors land on a page / site that will convert well. If you have a site that isn't bilingual...well no then there is nothing to worry about

Canada is a small example, as merchants expand into Europe and Asia then making sure the right banner, right message, right landing page becomes way more important for the merchant and for affiliates that focus on more than English speaking shoppers.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Just reading the thread for first time now...
    Hi Chris,

I just tuned in now and wow - talk about politics!

Rhea makes very valuable points and makes a lot of sense. I am born and raised here in Ontario, Canada (right next to Quebec) and I can tell you she is exactly right.

The French that is taught here in Canada (which is a mandatory class from grade 3 to 10 I believe) is the same as the Parisian French - it's just that the dialect/accent in Quebec is slightly different... main difference being that Quebecois tend to skip letters in pronunciation - the end result is what sounds to a Parisian like a slurred word but still the same word nonetheless.

As for clicking through a French Banner to an English site... it can be offputting, to a Francophone - yes - as you'd be surprised how many Francophones especially in the rural (while civilized with internet and all) areas stil don't speak English, nor want to. If a Francophone who doesn't speak English lands on an English site, they'd likely do exactly what I'd do if I clicked an English banner and landed on a French site. If interested in the offering I might TRY to read it (my French is limited) but would likely grow frustrated and abandon the site in record time.

It really depends on the age and location of your market, etc. You'll have more trouble with something like that if marketing to an older audience than you will if marketing to a younger 18-35 demographic for example, or even younger. I say definitely research your audience first before linking French banners to English sites and see how they feel about being marketed to in English.

Hope this is additionally useful info.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread