Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My url Google
    I just searched out my site on Google using my complete url and guess what. I searched out sites using the term my site and there are 450 with my text included. Strange?

Do they refer to your site in any way, or link to it? I'm not sure if I am fully following your comment ... specifically "my text included".
    I just searched out my site on Google using my complete url and guess what. I searched out sites using the term my site and there are 450 with my text included. Strange?
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Yes they do Ray. mysite.com ,text description and then a link to their page. If you want I can email this?

Never mind.

ABW Ambassador
    This is called hijacking

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    This is called hijacking
    Nope, it turns out that the sites (one's I investigated anyway) are showing mailman's site text & link are actually content bot scrapers that are using scraped info to create link directories.

I have seen more & more of these "link farm type sites" appearing everywhere lately. They list a few legit sites and then blast all kinds of affiliate ad's, links, etc. all around the legit content.
    Ray Thomas

Thanks Ray. I guess that's the nature of the beast. There's nothing I can do is there?

I am wondering if these link farm scrapers are one of the reasons for a drop in visitors from Google? Any body have any thoughts on this?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Just a bunch of crap affiliates, i think if you check everybody is affected to some extent. Scrape sites or the SERPS, throw up some Adsense usually. There was a long thread in the Webmasterworld Adsense forum and the Adsense Advisor (guy from Google) was silent.

mailman .... Thanks Ray. I guess that's the nature of the beast. There's nothing I can do is there?
    Setting aside the option of banning software pack bots by name & IP's each time your site is scraped ..... nope.

Gordon ..... I am wondering if these link farm scrapers are one of the reasons for a drop in visitors from Google? Any body have any thoughts on this?
    I believe that these link farm scrapers are getting revenue and some type of ranking & traffic benefit from their scrapes ... otherwise why even do it.
    Ray Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by mailman
    March 24th, 2005
    Have Fun: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=56218

I kinda like these boogers. Because my site is listed on atleast 100 of them and some of them have pretty good PR.

I have literally thousands of these scums linking to most of my sites. I noticed only a few dozen of these a couple of years ago, now they are everywhere. What p*****s me off is one of my most popular sites was completely dropped by Yahoo, and now when I type in my domain name Yahoo lists only dozens of these scrapper sites and my site is no where to be found. Why Yahoo thinks my site is not worth listing anymore (according to my awstats it is getting bookmarked by 20% of visitors) and these scums are I just dont get it.

HardwareGeek you can have a few hundred of mine.

Why Google does not close these guy's Adsense accounts I also don't get. I mean they are not hard to find.

ABW Ambassador
    Google used to shut these guys down, it is against their terms.

They no longer do. I have tracked 30 sites over the past 45 days and have used 10 seperate computers and email addresss to submit complaints, even following up and asking if google would do something. All still continue, why not? this is a great scam for google, it feeds their adsense machine, screwing both affiliate and advertiser a like, but who cares, it inflates the bottom line. this is as bad as click fraud. Which of course google is already being sued over. If they continue to allow this, adsense will be dead soon as advertisers stop using that option.

Chet

chetf, I agree with you that adsense will be dead soon as my own experience echos that. I joined adsense at the beginning and steadily made over 4 figures a month for about a year with my content site. My earning dropped by half a few months ago and the last two months are at about a third of what they were.

I too used to report these sites to Google with out success. And now with the shear number of them, past experience reporting them I have given up as it all seems like an exercise in futility.

"screwing both affiliate and advertiser a like, but who cares, it inflates the bottom line."

I see this as the problem with online marketing as a whole. The bottom line (the quick buck), with no vision for the future will be the ruin of this industry.

Keep in mind that they are a public company with shareholders who in my mind paid to much for their shares. They must generate a profit to maintain a good repoir with the shareholders

This is the new search engine spam. They all run adsense and it seems to me somewhere in the terms it says you can't create a site just to run adsense. That is the only reason these scraper sites are created. Eventually they will be dropped like everything else.

meanwhile I do get a few legit visitors bouncing in from them. too bad their PR is so low.

I HATE them but I don't think they are screwing adsense. Look, if they are all a person can find for a search term, after the first two or three a person WILL click on what looks like a relevant adsense ad. So, I guess they send the prospects to the person who paid for the ad.

I suspect Google likes them fine.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I had noticed this behavior some time ago, but I did not understand it. There are 1180 results for my domain, but out of 136 that I viewed, only three are actaully to my site. No wonder my PageRank, sales and everything else is so low.

As far as Google, I think the wrost is yet to come. What can we do?

Quote Originally Posted by justsue
    What can we do?
    Not much as long as John Q. Public thinks Google is Jim Dandy.

I bet Google makes a ton off those sites. They aren't going to drop them or they would have by now. They have been in the index for a long time.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

well it's the beginning of the month and in my logs, the top refferrs are crapper scrappers, wasn't like that last month.

so I think that google is giving these people much love and and then they lower the PR's to the legit sites that are found on those pages.

ABW Ambassador
    SSanf, the one thing you are missing is - in google's terms, these sites are not allowed. At first, they were very public about the idea that these sites were bad, after a few outbreaks on major forums they rewrote their terms just to ban these sites.

Sadly, then i think one of their people looked at the numbers and said, "Do you know how much this scam makes us!?!?! We rank these sites well, people go to them, they see the adsense ads and we get paid!!!" We are giving you a raise...

Do No evil? My ass, they are becoming just like everyone else, anything for a buck.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    It is hijacking. First they set up a real link to your site, and when they have got your PR they eleminate that link. Another technique is to set up a redirecting link either to their tracking device or to a intermittend site. Google then thinks your site has permanently moved to the redirected site, and voila, your site is hijacked. And the worst is: if this came up onece it is hijacked for ever. I have never seen a hijacked domain/site gathering up to normal.

roland

these sites are not allowed
    Yeah, right! The Google terms are about as good as the CJ COC.

I bet these sites make google a whole lot more than they are willing to give up.

We all need to come up with our own new way to spam google, now, and that is the bottom line if you want to make money from Google traffic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast