Is there any way to know if something is safe to download?
    I have my new computer up and running and I really need some of the tools I used to use. But how can I know what is safew to download these days?

I really want this. http://www.datastic.com/tools/colorcop/

I also need Multi-replace and Good keywords. Do you know where I can get them safely without getting something I do not want with them? Lots of places offer them. But, who can you trust these days?

I guess, this should be OK but I just don't know any more.
    http://www.goodkeywords.com/

And, this is the program I want. Can I trust the site?
    http://www.georgedillon.com/web/free...ireplace.shtml
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Is there any way to know if something is safe to download?
    Is there any way to know if free sex is safe again?

NOTHING is SAFE anymore!

When you're not sure about the outcome of a new risk,

just, flip a coin................

Do a Google search (and Google Groups) for the product name and look for mentions in forums & reviews. If it has spyware or other nasties, someone has probably talked about it online.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    First download Microsoft anti-spyware and then Zonelabs.com -ZoneAlarm so you have a defense against the lying scumbags out there.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Right. I usually search for "product name" + spyware. And see what comes up. You can also run a virus & spyware check on the zipped/or extracted, but not installed file. Not foolproof but I caught a bad one once that way.

I'm with Mike about MS AntiSpyware - keep it running all the time and it should tell you if an application is trying to do something odd.

Read the licence agreement too!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

If there's a choice of places to get stuff, I always get it from here:

http://www.download.com

- if it's available. I've never had anything unpleasant bundled with a download, and just now checked it out - there's now a policy towards bundled software on the home page. But like with all new partners, make sure you have your MS Spyware condom in use.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Download.com is where I always get bundled nasties to install on the computer. For a good while now, download.com will put up a notice for applications that have something bundled with them. But these notices are not 100% accurate. I've installed things that had no notice from download.com but had adware bundled. So you can't be certain a program is bundle free from them just because there is no disclaimer.

SSanf, there is no sure fire way to know. All the suggestions given by folks are good ones. With M$ Antispyware program, you need to make sure to have real-time protection turned ON for the benefits folks are mentioning here.

I see a beta version of anti spyware here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en
    is that the one you mean?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

That's the one.

Thanks!

Well, got Norton, Spybot Search and Distroy, Ad-Aware and MS AntiSpyware.

Feel like I am wearing diapers covered by Pampers covered by rubber panties!

Gunna download those tools. Should I run ALL the programs afterward? That will sure take a bit of time.

Yikes they charge $29 for winzip, now! I have Windows XP. Shouldn't there be a free unzipper with it? I have winzip for free on my old Windows 98. Would it be safe to put that on my Windows XP? I mean, it won't corrupt any files or anything if I do that, will it?

My computer guy had some concern about using my Windows 98 programs on my Windows XP. Are his concerns justified?

I'm not claiming to be an expert here, but...

First of all install and make sure that the MS programme is running in real time protection mode - I think it does this anyhow or gives you the option on instalation.

I've never had a problem with bundled downloads from download.com, but then I've only ever got webmaster type stuff from there.

I have the MS prog, Adaware and Spybot, I run MS about once a week (when I remember), and the others about once a month. Of course if you're being very active in getting stuff around the net, it makes sense to do it once you've the downloads on your machine. MS sorts most garbage out, but the others have their own specialities.

I feel I aught to make a disclaimer along the "with advice goes liability" lines, but I'm sure you already know about staying out of the swamp if you don't want to get icky. My machines have always been clean since I knew how to avoid getting infected, so mainly I have this stuff for back-up just in case.

"Feel like I am wearing diapers covered by Pampers covered by rubber panties! "

Now that really is safe sex!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Yikes they charge $29 for winzip, now! I have Windows XP. Shouldn't there be a free unzipper with it? I have winzip for free on my old Windows 98. Would it be safe to put that on my Windows XP? I mean, it won't corrupt any files or anything if I do that, will it?

My computer guy had some concern about using my Windows 98 programs on my Windows XP. Are his concerns justified?
    I went through this about 6 months ago, if I remember rightly, I still had a compressed version of free winzip on my old hard drive that I installed on my new machine, opened it up and it works fine. Keeps reminding me how far past the free period I am, but it still works.

Other programmes were a bit hit and miss, try them and see. It's probably not the Win 98/XP that's the problem (that's the same upgrade I made) as whether they can be installed correctly.

I thought a programme should work fine is just carried across, but not so. It's more like putting in the same fitted kitchen to two different houses. There's slightly bigger or smaller gaps here and there and the doors may need to put on the other way round so not to be a problem etc. As long as you have the disc to install from scratch or a compressed file to install again, there's a good chance that things will work. But try taking the fitted kitchen out of house 1 to house 2 and it won't be what it should be.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks! Yeah, I really need the tools I am used to. Found Color cop at Download.com. It is TWO words, not one! LOL!

Now gotta find that zipper. Well, if I only need to pay for one program, that isn't too bad. Just don't need to be paying for them all.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    SSanf,

XP comes with a compress/decompress function. It will do zip files. Not sure if it will do some other compression formats. Just right click your zipped file. You should see "Extract All". That will launch XP's unzip wizard.

You can use older programs that are Windows98 with XP. Try just running them first. Many will work. If you experince a problem, then go to the .exe file for the application. Right click "Properties." Go to the "Compatability" tab. Tick the box "Run this program in compatability mode for" and select Windows 98. It actually lets you go back to Windows 95 if you have to. When I switched from 98 to XP I had one or two programs total I needed to do this. Worked for me and there wasn't any programs I couldn't get to work.

BTW, congrats on the new computer.

Yikes they charge $29 for winzip, now! I have Windows XP. Shouldn't there be a free unzipper with it?
    SSanf, I recommend ZipCentral.

ZipCentral is a free and easy to use zip file manager with all the utilities you need to manage your zip files. The goal of ZipCentral is to be the most robust freeware zip-package you can find today. It is a great tool for the beginner as well as the expert. Working with zip files has never been easier!

ZipCentral is currently available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish. Supported operating systems includes Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP and NT 4.0. Full online help is included and the package is distributed as a single installation file which also includes uninstall support. http://zipcentral.iscool.net/
    I have been using ZipCentral since 2001 with no problem.

I have it as my default zip-unzip program and 99% of the time, that is the one that will work fine, if the file ends in .gz, then winzip will take over.

So try ZipCentral, it's free and you will like it.

Sal.

Shucks, it's only $29.. you could actually pay for it!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

What! Me pay?

Thanks ALL!

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread