I need a little help, please.
    Hi all,

It's been a while since I asked for help, but I need some now.

This isn't about building pages, getting the SE's interested, or other of the normal questions asked here on our forum. (Moderators...if you decide that this thread should be moved, by all means do so.)

I changed merchants on one of my niche sites a couple of months ago. I did my regular thing with this type of site and everything has gone as should be expected.

Then the unexpected happened. I was trolling around the merchants home page when I found a link that I wasn't used to seeing. Namely, the merchant is donating a percentage of proceeds on certain merchandise to the favorite cause of my wife and I.

I immediately put up links to the special page for the donations. Jean (that'd be Grandma to some of you) and I got to talking about this promotion and decided to help as we could. So, I made up a special page on our site to promote the donations the merchant is offering.

Now most of you know that I'm no designer. That my sense of what looks good is right out there behind the moon. My color perception is mud and brick colors.

So, here is where I need your help.

Please click on the link in my sig. Go look the page over. Note I said the page. I'm not after a site review here. I want the shopper to click on one of the special links and buy the special merchandise.

How can I make this page more effective? What should I do (or undo).

Your help will be greatly appreciated by more that just Jean and I.

Visitors. If you have suggestions and don't want to register to put in your suggestions here, please mail me frank3iii (at) gmail (dot) com. I don't check that as often as I do this forum, but I will make it a point to check it more frequently for a while.

Thanks,
    Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Frank,

I hope that you don't get me wrong but, I just went to your site and while you may by doing this as a Help us Fight Breast Cancer theme, it looks to me more like a marketing idea to make more sales.

Even if you would say that you will give 50% of your earning to that favorite cause of, Help us Fight Breast Cancer, it still looks like a good marketing idea to make more money.

I am sorry if you don't understand what I try to say but............... what can I say?

Sal.

No Sal. I understand what you are saying.

This really, really is not a marketing ploy of any kind. Well, that isn't true. I want the shopper to go to the merchant site and buy one of the products that qualify for the donation.

My commish level is 10%. I'm going to donate the full 10% on sales from my fight cancer links to the Komen Foundation. That will make a total of 20% of the price of the item donated to this worthy foundation.

Does that make any better sense?

Frank

ABW Ambassador

Hi, Frank3iii,

The page looks perfect to me. But then, I prefer "cool blue".

I wouldn't change it very much.

Good luck on your mission !!

Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Quote Originally Posted by RadarCat
    But then, I prefer "cool blue".
    Good luck on your mission !!
    Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster
    Thanks a lot Radar. We hope to raise some cash for the fight.

Frank

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Frank - I see no problem with the page, your message is direct and easy to understand. I appreciate your effects and good luck.

Thanks msladybug.

Looks great to me Frank!
    I wish you all the luck in the world.
    I have been looking at promoting E-bags and there support of such a great cause just sealed the deal.

Thanks Robert.

Looks good to me too.

But I would make it clearer that you will not profit in any way from the sale of these items.

I think that would increase conversions.

Good Luck!

Jazz T.

Thanks Jazz T.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    That's a nice thing you're doing Frank. As someone who lost a loved one to breast cancer I just want to say thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by frank3iii
    Note I said the page. I'm not after a site review here. I want the shopper to click on one of the special links and buy the special merchandise.

How can I make this page more effective? What should I do (or undo).
    Fine ... I'll tell you how to maximize a ***ONE PAGE*** out of how many??? For a cause .... just don't call me a **** ok?

1. It's one stinkin page out of how many? Make the table under the image with a pink backgound and use black text with a link to the page there ... for starters that would send more traffic to the darn page.

2. Highlight the fight Cancer link in main left Nav

3. The pink Ribbon would be better served as beginning and ending ot the left nav with a table showing "Fight Cancer - give 20% back on your purchase now!"

4. On the Cancer.php ... h1s of ""Fight Cancer by giving 20% back on your purtchase now!"" works wonders ... if in a pink table and black font even better.

5. I'd put the links in and kill some of the overly verbose text:

The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
    In participation for the fight against breast cancer, eBags will donate 10% of the retail sale price of every pink bag purchased on our site to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

... And if you buy from our links below we will match the 10% totalling a 20% donation ... please use the links below:

see Pink Luggage

see Pink Handbags

see Pink Backpacks

see Pink Urban Gear

see Pink Business Cases

see Pink Travel Accessories

see Pink Kids & Parents

see Pink Wallets

see Pink Laptop Cases

That's shoot loads more effective than
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Fine ... I'll tell you how to maximize a ***ONE PAGE*** out of how many??? For a cause .... just don't call me a **** ok?
    Whatja mean ok? I wouldn't call you anything like a ****. You're aces in my book.

You just posted the exact reply that I was looking for. My reference to 'one page' was to make clear that I wasn't looking for handouts on the entire site. Just for the goal of getting max contributions to the Komen Foundation.

I can quite easily make the changes you have suggested. Here is another question....

Would the goal be better served if I removed the cancer page from the site completely?

Leave the top spot in the right nav section, but with a direct link to the merchant page.

I could register a new name and make a one page site that only contained the information (as revised) that is now on the current cancer page. A couple of links here and there and the spiders would find it pretty quick.

You know, I kinda expected to get ripped about this. Sort of like backing into a buzz saw. But it hasn't been like that. Yet. I debated with myself for a couple of days about even mentioning it here at all.

The reception so far has encouraged me that I am on the right track. I believe the goal is worthy.

Thanks,
    Frank

Frank - effectiveness - keywords and the display of them to spur purchasing ...

.... And if you buy from our links below we will match the 10% totalling a 20% donation ... please use the links below to effect your donation of 20%:
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Gotcha. I'm off to start working on it now.

Alright. Made some changes.

You can view the before (with modified left nav) here:
    www.trybags.com/cancer1.php

After:
    www.trybags.com/cancer.php

Anything else or something I missed?

Frank
    Last edited by frank3iii; May 2nd, 2005 at 03:29 PM. Reason: clarity

I did notice this --

"There is a killer among us! This killer is not concerned with your sex or age. The killer does not care what color your skin is or what your ethnic background may be. The killer is Breast Cancer."

I think Breast Cancer only affects thoughs with BREASTS...
    So it does care what your sex is...

Just something I noticed..

GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    I did notice this --
    I think Breast Cancer only affects thoughs with BREASTS...
    So it does care what your sex is...
    A common misconception is that breast cancer only affects women. While it is true that the largest number of those diagnosed with, and who die from, breast cancer are women, men do have the disease.

A quote from the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation:
    "This year, 1,450 cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in men and approxamitely 470 men will die from breast cancer."

The numbers for women are: approx. 216,000 diagnosed with breast cancer. Over 40,000 will die from it.

Thanks for paying attention.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frank3iii
    A common misconception is that breast cancer only affects women. While it is true that the largest number of those diagnosed with, and who die from, breast cancer are women, men do have the disease.

A quote from the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation:
    "This year, 1,450 cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in men and approxamitely 470 men will die from breast cancer."

The numbers for women are: approx. 216,000 diagnosed with breast cancer. Over 40,000 will die from it.

Thanks for paying attention.
    Frank
    I was surprised to find out that men do indeed get breast cancer when I was watching a show about a man going through it a couple of years back. I'm sure most are like me when they hear that fact.

The message comes across good on the page Frank. Good Luck!

Holy Crap - You learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    .... just don't call me a **** ok?
    You ****! Not, only that, but *********, *********.....and on top of that **********! So there you ********** **** ******** *****!!!

On a serious note. Looks good, Frank. I too support Komen when I get my chance. My late grandmother had breast cancer (which eventually evolved into something else, I can't remember). Always good to get as much awareness out about it as possible.

I was heavily pushing Race Fans For A Cure, which my favorite NASCAR driver was a part of. That way I could make him look good as well as get the word out. But it seems they disabanded the program for some reason. But I still have my outlets.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    Holy Crap - You learn something new every day!
    Yeppers. Now that you know, visit one of the breast cancer websites and find out how to conduct your very own self examination.

@Packy...Thanks. If you read the entire thread that it's Haiko that set me straight.

Frank

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread