Spy/Adware on brand new computer!
    It has weatherbug. I guess, I should remove that somehow, right?

And I want to play an MP3 It has something called iTunes trying to get me to agree. Looks like spyware to me. Is it? What do I need to play my tunes?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Are Real Audio and Windows Media Player snoops, too?

Is ANYTHING trustworthy?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

spyware
    Read about Weatherbug http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

They claim they're not spyware & such, but form your own conclusions. I fired
    it.

Ditto iTunes. Do a google, and take your pick. Some say yea, others nay. I operate on the principle of "where there's smoke, there's fire".

Realplayer?
    Every time you listened to music, whether off the Internet or from your CD collection, Real Audio player would query the Real Audio database to provide song title information. However, embedded in the encrypted query was details of what you were listening to, what music files you had on your computer and what music you downloaded from the web. All of this identification, together with the unique identification number, was stored by Real Audio in a database. It doesn’t take much imagination to work out why such a database would be valuable to music marketers. Thankfully this Spyware was discovered and Real Audio discloses what information is collected in their online privacy statement.
    Full article at http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/7...3?OpenDocument

Windows Media Player?
    Hackers are using the newest DRM technology in Microsoft's Windows Media Player to install spyware, adware, dialers and computer viruses on unsuspecting PC users.
    Article at http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1749993,00.asp

Personally? I limit them all with zone alarm. I set permissions at a local level, but not the internet level. Works for me.

Hell, even microsoft WORD wants to "phone home" so I block the microsoft office suites also.

Thank goodness for Zone Alarm!
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Dunno about iTunes, but the manufacturer probably has some sort of commission arrangement.

Weatherbug is a parasite, not doubt about that. As is the Real software - it's full of crap that you don't need. Windows Media player is OK though.

Most PCs have *something* these days - often a signup icon for an ISP or something. I guess the problem is that margins on PCs are sooooo thin that there's a temptation to add this sort of crap.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

With new PCs if I dont build it myself, I usually erase the drive and do a complete new install myself. If thats not an option, look at getting a firewall, like zonealarm and 1 or 2 anti-spyware programs, such as MSN's, Spysweeper by Webroot, or Spybot.

As far as iTunes goes, thats an Apple software & dont know if its parasite or not. Could be borderline. I found it on one of my PCs and got rid of it. You dont need it, its for mp3 downloading/listening ... winamp works alot better.

ABW Ambassador
    Itunes and Real player are both not parasitic nor do they base their income on any hidden agenda. First thing I do to any pc I own is install itunes. I just don't like realplayer because it ads so much crap to the system.

weatherbug is another story. for that alone I would take the pc back and inform them you bought the pc, that is how they should be making their money, not by infecting you.

Chet

Internet Cowboy
    Ssanf,
    Make sure to upgrade Windows Media Player. I think it was version 9 that fixed the potential spyware installation issues, otherwise WMP is great.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I installed 6 popular freebees including AIM on a new system which bundled ...Bargain Buddy (including Bullseye Network and Navisearch) -Gator and GAIN related programs including Precision Time and Date Manager -My Web Search (Fun Web Products software) - N-Case AKA 180SearchAssistant - Web Rebates/Top Rebates -Websearch.com toolbar including WinTools -nCase & eBates

Scanned with Microsoft Antispyware (Beta) on test machine to find

TV Media Display (Adware)
    WinTools (Trojan)
    Exact.Bullseyenetwork (Adware)
    Exact.ISEXEng (Trojan)
    Network Essentials (Browser Hijacker)
    Search Enhancement (Browser Hijacker)
    MyWebSearch Toolbar (Browser Hijacker)
    Top Rebates (Browser Plugin)
    180search Assistant (Adware)
    Possible Browser Hijack (Browser Hijacker)
    Exact.Cashback (Adware)
    Exact.Navisearch (Adware)
    Zango Search Assistant (Adware)
    Superlogy.com (Browser Plugin)
    Exact.Downloader (Trojan Downloader)
    Exact.Bargain Buddy (Adware)
    Cydoor (Adware)
    DownloadWare (Adware)
    Huntbar (Browser Hijacker)
    Websearch Toolbar (Browser Plugin)
    Claria.Date Manager (Adware)
    FunWebProducts (Adware)
    Hotbar.Shopping Reports (Adware)
    Claria (Adware)
    Claria.Dashbar (Toolbar)
    Exact Search Bar (Browser Plugin)
    GAIN (Adware)
    Claria.Precision Time (Adware)
    MyWay Search Bar (Browser Plugin)
    Popular Screensavers (Adware Bundler)
    2 trojan horse re-install viruses
    eBates
    nCase and XXX-dialer

Just the 3 trojan horse viruses, left unchecked, would have stuffed all these and more onto the new system once hooked to a broadband connection. Networks...best consider banning all S/W affiliates as none add any value and all use hidden bundling and drive-by installer sites as their attack point on consumers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thank you so much for the information! I will use windows Media Player, then. Unfortunately, some news sites insist you have real Audio to view some of their videos. Probably, they get a kickback if they get you to download it. And, too bad about your privacy or your computer. They're all adwhores!

I guess, I don't need to see them when the same stuff is usuall on CNN Headline News.

SSanf ..switch to Fox News or Google News as they never try any sneaky Adwhore crap on their readers.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Which 6 popular freebees did you install so we will know what to avoid?

Weather Bug, a free screensaver, 2 games (one from a Yahoo game site- 2nd from a Google search), Greeting card send to myself (LOL), Smiles from a foreign site news link, AIM and a popup Spyware/Adware "your infected" shaking alert just begging for a free trial.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread