Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Download.com Says No To Adware/Spyware
    They have a new policy...Zero Tolerance for Bundles. See their home page for announcement. http://download.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...hp?p_faqid=339 for how they check. They state they have removed 600 applications from their library.

I am seeing some stuff gone on search. I'm also seeing quite a few apps that I've gotten bundles with in the past still there. It would curb the number of adware installs I would hope. I can imagine some software will just submit without the bundle and later add it. So how effective will probably depend on how well download.com monitors on an on-going basis.

The policy is a bit overdo. Guess some folks are starting to wake-up to consumers.

Here's a challenge to Merchants who partner with software apps. Watch their stats over the next few weeks. See what happens with their revenue. Especially those folks who claim to use bundling very infrequently. Download.com is saying they removed existing applications starting April 27. Start statistical analysis from around that date.

15 years and counting
    It took them some time to understand they were one of the major source for adware and spyware installations. Good to see them changing their mind. I had some rough explanations last year with one of their editors on this subject. Better late than never.
    Tks for the heads up Kellie.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    I sure hope they police this policy as that was one sleazy source for infecting millions of systems with hidden bundles. My take is the law suits, fines and top gun legal eagles, like Spitzer, have scared the be-Jesus out of Download.com/Cnet as their records get subpoenaed. It is a CYA move and they need to add trojan horse backdoor viruses to the bann list. That's how the perps shove addition install fees upon the unsuspecting.

I'm sure the lying crapware vendors, and theie AM partners, will see a drop in BHO partners revenue from the pull dates onward. Nicer to see 75% of those polled at www.Download.com love have a ZERO Tolerence policy in place.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    I wonder if the lawsuits put the fear of god into them? they have obviously had no problems being the distributor for these things for years, I can't see them deciding to change now, just because it is the right thing to do.

Chet

15 years and counting
    chetf - I can't see them deciding to change now, just because it is the right thing to do.
    For sure. They must have their reasons and I'll like to know them. That's interesting.

Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    I wonder if the lawsuits put the fear of god into them? they have obviously had no problems being the distributor for these things for years, I can't see them deciding to change now, just because it is the right thing to do.

Chet
    The legislators for the USA Congressal Spyware bills, as well as Michigan, Calif, Utah and other States all identified Dowmload.com and parent Cnet as one of the main infestation points publically. These greed mongers,living off freebees for years and costing legit affiliates millions, did not do this out of civic duty. It's a CYA move for sure.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I'm assuming a major factor is the lawsuits... if parasiteware/spyware/adware is eventually considered and enforced as being illegal, then Download.com/CNet etc etc would have to remove them anyway or they'd be committing a crime too. Better late than never i suppose.
    Perhaps they could feature a few more 'spyware removal' downloads on their main pages etc, if not to do the right thing and clean the net of all the rubbish they helped spread, then let them do it to show how serious they are about enforcing the new policies.

The friggin 2 faced Cnet wanks turned down Microsoft's free download Beta to feature in their testing tools, as it identifies & whacks too many of Download.com's infested freebee enticements.

Download.com features Spyware Doctor very aggressively.

Personally, I see this as a CYA thing also. Time will tell if it's more posturing than real. Like I said, I'm still seeing quite a few applications currently listed that I know were bundled in the past. Will try to check some of them out soon and see if they still are. When I find any, I'll report them to download.com and see what happens.

Internet Cowboy
    I wish M$ would just buy download.com and shut it down. That is what needs to happen to sites like that. The big guys with billions to blow need to buy them just to get them out of the market. At one time download.com was useful, in past years it has become only a BHO nursery.

Microsoft offers it's OEM manufacturers a free licensed CD-rom to bundle their Anti-Spyware package with any new XP system build. Guess the Adwhores at Dell -Gateway -Sony -Hewlett Packard, managing the partnerships with the BHO infestation perps, refused the offer....ROLMAO.

There is no lack of media coverage on the hottest issue on Web Surfers minds... Adware/Spyware and the sleezeballs pushing it onto systems and earning bucks by doing it!

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...2731_tc024.htm

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...6669_tc024.htm

Then read the SANS Institute reports... http://www.sans.org/top20/Q1-2005update/

Interesting commentary on cnet today http://news.com.com/Making+the+wrong...3-5690270.htmlNot that I'll argue the point that the Spyware Act will likely do a heck of a lot, but I do take issue to the comments at the beginning of the article that there are already laws in place that deal with both adware and spyware and that the process seems to be working.

I find it interesting to see this come out today on cnet. Although download.com is mentioned in the article, no mention of their recent policy change is made. Just an upcoming spyware thing they are putting on discussing the legislative issues brought up on cnet.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Aftershocks of earthquake Elliot Spitzer started up in New York...

More to come!

Are Non-US Parasites affected by all of this? I mean other than download.com stopping the spread, will the Elliot Spitzer case have any effect on Non-US parasites? It might set a precedent in the US, but would that mean parasites then find a headquarters in some third world country that has no internet laws?
    Hell, even Australia doesn't have any laws against it all as far as i know.

The Non-USA parasites and their partners doing hidden bundling or drive-bys will become focused as their merchant/network enablers get whacked by US laws and fines. I'd assume then dead or alive rewards to skilled bountyhunters will be offered by those feeling the most pain to root out the 3rd world perps.

Thumbs up
    More heat today as Spitzer's AG office definitely will expand the enities in his law suit agianst the BHO wanks and their infestaion and monitizing partners.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...&siteid=google

"We're not ruling out in the future going after advertisers, or Overture," said attorney Brookman. Yahoo's Overture accounted for some 10% of Intermix's revenue, said Brookman. Yahoo would not comment. Claria, formerly Gator, is another company that's been accused of distributing spyware. It has said in its pre-IPO S-1 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that Yahoo's Overture accounted for 31% of its sales in 2003." ...."Netflix was another Intermix advertiser. Its ads were seen on the FloGo toolbar that is one of Intermix's applications that is downloaded alongside an Intermix screen saver program. Netflix said that it's unaware of any promotions on adware and prohibits its affiliates or distributors to place ads on such applications." ROLMAO.... "Suffice it to say that if advertisers did know that ads were being placed by misleading installations of toolbars or redirects of Web pages, then Spitzer's office will likely have a word or two with them."

Oh are the Adwhores scurring to cover their butts...
    "Heather Staples, a spokeswoman for Ask Jeeves, said the company does not use distributors that inadvertently install applications on computers of unsuspecting or non-consenting consumers.

So I alerted her to a video clip captured by Edelman, who documented an instance in which he received the Ask Jeeves' MySearch toolbar without his request. See Bendelman's video and reports.

Staples came back and said that Ask Jeeves did in fact find fault with this particular distribution partner. "We just turned off that partner," she said, adding, "I don't think this is a widespread issue because of the preventive steps we've taken." That said, "this is an imperfect industry... We need to rely on consumer feedback to identify these outlying issues."

But outlying issues seem to plague Ask Jeeves. Ask Jeeves worked with distributors of spyware in the past, such as Mindset's FavoriteMan, a spyware program that installs other spyware programs, installs new icons on computer desktops and adds links to a users' favorites list in Microsoft's (MSFT: news, chart, profile) Internet Explorer. FavoriteMan was also used by Intermix, according to Spitzer's suit.

The agreement between MySearch and Mindset was that MySearch would be bundled with downloadable games, said Staples.

The agreement ended in the fall of 2003 when Ask Jeeves realized that the distribution of MySearch via Mindset fell outside the scope of the Ask Jeeves' policies, namely that distributors had to give consumers proper notification. Additionally, the company advocates that its distributors comply with proper disclosure and notification and removal requirements for any of its applications.

But Ask Jeeves still partners with Kazaa, a peer-to-peer file-sharing company as well as Grokster. Peer-to-peer companies bundle a number of adware programs with their own software. Ask Jeeves won't be able to rely on that type of distribution if the P2P companies are found to be liable for distributing spyware. "

Here's the kicker for knowing Spitzer is going after ALL the infestation perps on behalf of the victims of hidden installs and kidnapped systems....

"Even if Ask Jeeves isn't doing anything wrong, it's still not off the hook with investors if a significant amount of advertising is placed on its properties that acquire traffic via devious channels. Two-thirds of Ask Jeeves' search traffic in March came from its MySearch, MyWebSearch and MyWay properties, according to comScore Networks. These are the properties that have in the past, and may still be relying on distributors that use adware to get onto computers."

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread