ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down Dell Computer

According to the following link:

http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml...d=002000001G8C

Dell plans to hire another 2,000 people in India.

Sad news for America's many unemployed, indeed.

Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    This seems to be a hot topic on the news lately, well the outsourcing and illegal immigrants taking alot of jobs in the US.

Providing poor support to their customers will hurt Dell in the long run, so I'm not worried. I can think of at least 10 people from the top of my head that bought a Dell and after dealing with their "world class" technical support, vowed to never buy from them again. Im sure that isnt something that just I notice.

I am not a big fan of outsourcing everything to India. But to be fair, I had a problem with my Dell computer a while ago and called support, and I got a guy with a clearly Indian accent who was very patient and helpful. A big contrast to the rude, insulting and lousy support I got when I had to call an American for tech support on another computer. So India doesn't necessarily = poor tech support.

That said... it would be nice if these American companies would hire more American workers, with so many people looking for work (and I've seen my very qualified friends struggling to find jobs).

Guys, gals... Outsourcng is what everyone does! I am sure, the do not hire just people from the streets (out there in India)... I STILL LOVE (!) MY DELL LAPTOP.

Outsourcing is the sad norm now. Yes, quality of service drops, but if their costs from all the savings falls more than their profit does from poor service, they won't care.

Makes me think of a (sad) joke I printed a year ago in one of our newsletters...

Perhaps not so funny... but so true...

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for
    6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric
    razor (MADE IN HONG KONG).

He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN
    SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast
    in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE
    IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today.

After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got
    in his car ( MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying
    AMERICAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a
    while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine
    (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then
    wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.

Go figure.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Speaking of DELL they just sent an email out saying that only a certain select few of affiliates can bid on keywords

Everyone is in business to make money. They are going to hire the cheapest labor they can get. Don't you think the advertising companies would love it if there were no affiliates who only get paid if a sale is made? The other problem is that everyone shops at walmart. People want the lowest price they can get and you can't get the lowest priced product with american labor. It's the old rock and a hard place.

America became what it is because of manufacturing, now manufacturing is being sent overseas.

Smile Dell Has more problems than service
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairla
    I am not a big fan of outsourcing everything to India. But to be fair, I had a problem with my Dell computer a while ago and called support, and I got a guy with a clearly Indian accent who was very patient and helpful. A big contrast to the rude, insulting and lousy support I got when I had to call an American for tech support on another computer. So India doesn't necessarily = poor tech support.

That said... it would be nice if these American companies would hire more American workers, with so many people looking for work (and I've seen my very qualified friends struggling to find jobs).
    Dell has had a lot of problems with power supplies causing fires, one of my merchants J&R, confirm this, as well as Compaq,and a host of others,when one of my shoppers wanted a laptop, they got aN IBM, with 2 years service and a free battery charger,for way below retail, this is not a plug for the merchant, but things made in China, etc., with the wages they pay,don't produce the quality of products made in the USA.My nickels worth.
    JJ

ABW Ambassador
    That might be the funniest post on ABW in a long time. OMG a merchant speaking badly about a product they can't sell!! I trust them (toshiba is actually probably the most well known for heat issues) but yeah, buy american, buy an ibm laptop.. hahahahahahahahaaha...

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjim
    ...when one of my shoppers wanted a laptop, they got aN IBM, with 2 years service and a free battery charger,for way below retail, this is not a plug for the merchant, but things made in China, etc., with the wages they pay,don't produce the quality of products made in the USA.My nickels worth.
    JJ
    I guess you missed the news item that IBM sold their PC business to a Chinese firm.

That said, the bigger point is that technology is making a global market ever more viable in ever more permutations, there is no way around it, fighting it is both futile and inadvisable.

Sure, there'll be pain in this arena, or that, during the transition period, just as there was during the industrial revolution, but doing a Luddite imitation is not going to be any more successful this time, than it was last...

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down Michael Dell, shame on you !!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Sauve
    Outsourcing is the sad norm now. Yes, quality of service drops, but if their costs from all the savings falls more than their profit does from poor service, they won't care.

Makes me think of a (sad) joke I printed a year ago in one of our newsletters...

Perhaps not so funny... but so true...

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for
    6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric
    razor (MADE IN HONG KONG).

He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN
    SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast
    in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE
    IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today.

After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got
    in his car ( MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying
    AMERICAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a
    while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine
    (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then
    wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.

Go figure.

Hi, JP Sauve,

An excellent illustration of the problem. America is losing it's industrial manufacturing base and workers are having to switch over to low paying service jobs, when they can find one, to pay evercreasing costs for rent, food, gasoline, etc.

Michael Dell, shame on you and all the Wall Street blood suckers who put money above the good of America!! You are a bunch of unpatriotic rats, in my opinion.

Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasha
    I STILL LOVE (!) MY DELL LAPTOP.

Hi, Dasha,

Though I will not condone Dell's business practices and will never deal with them, I will say that some of their older computers are some of the best that I have ever seen. Enjoy your Dell laptop!

Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster

It's just globalization. Jobs are too expensive in the US and Europe, so companies switch to India. That way countries like India will get wealthier, and people there will start spending money. They will start buying Chevrolets, Chryslers, Volkswagens because they're way cooler than an Indian car like a Tata.

After a while, salaries in India gone up too far, so companies like Dell will move to a country with lower wages. But also big companies from India will move away.

It's just a 'natural' process. It's how America got rich, it's how Europe got rich, it's how Japan got rich, it's how India will get rich and it's how China will get rich. It's a good thing as the whole world will benefit from more wealthy countries. In the end globalization is the only good remedy to fight hunger and poverty in this world.

>>>In the end globalization is the only good remedy to fight hunger and poverty in this world.

I don't mean to continue this into an argument. Just that my last real job went to Mexico.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by matlok
    It's just globalization. Jobs are too expensive in the US and Europe, so companies switch to India. That way countries like India will get wealthier, and people there will start spending money. They will start buying Chevrolets, Chryslers, Volkswagens because they're way cooler than an Indian car like a Tata.

After a while, salaries in India gone up too far, so companies like Dell will move to a country with lower wages. But also big companies from India will move away.

It's just a 'natural' process. It's how America got rich, it's how Europe got rich, it's how Japan got rich, it's how India will get rich and it's how China will get rich. It's a good thing as the whole world will benefit from more wealthy countries. In the end globalization is the only good remedy to fight hunger and poverty in this world.

Hi, matlok,

That is a very nice economic explanation.

However, it is not so nice when your job goes to Mexico or India, the landlord is beating on your door at 8 in the morning every day for more money, you have nowhere else to go, your car is falling apart, you don't even have money to wash your clothes and you have to go down to the food stamp office to beg for food stamps.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Reality: India has a lot of very well educated people in the sciences and mathematics. In my studies in engineering and mathematics, I came across the works of many Indian scholars. Many pHD math positions in the US are going to Indians. Their economy and business structure is light-years behind the US, but not their post-secondary math and science for the select individuals that go this route. I am not necessarily supporting the idea of outsourcing, just stating what is.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Their economy and business structure is light-years behind the US, but not their post-secondary math and science for the select individuals that go this route.
    100% correct observation. In England nearly every second math/science post-grad student is either India, Middle East or Far East...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Reality: India has a lot of very well educated people in the sciences and mathematics.

Hi, CheeseHead,

They also speak English, the international language of business.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬
    I don't mean to continue this into an argument. Just that my last real job went to Mexico.

Hi, Herb ΤΏΤ¬,

I'm sorry to hear that. I sure hope that your landlord hasn't thrown you out.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster

Quote Originally Posted by RadarCat

Hi, matlok,

That is a very nice economic explanation.

However, it is not so nice when your job goes to Mexico or India, the landlord is beating on your door at 8 in the morning every day for more money, you have nowhere else to go, your car is falling apart, you don't even have money to wash your clothes and you have to go down to the food stamp office to beg for food stamps.
    Of course it's not nice for the people affected, although I think for every person in the US or Europe whose life is affected negatively, there are several people in India or Mexico whose lifes are improved. But again, for the people in the US or Europe these are meaningless words.

The problem often is that companies like Dell have to take these steps to be able to compete. If they don't do this, other companies will do it, then lowering their prices so that Dell gets into troubles as not being able to compete against lower prices anymore.

Globalization is great in the long run but has negative effects for lots of people. But I won't blame Dell or other companies for taking steps like this. Heck, I'm doing it myself too. When I needed a script, I hired someone an Eastern European country and for simple reasons: costs and quality.

I even am affiliated with American companies while I'm a European citizen. My income thus depends on globalization. And I already look forward to the moment affiliate marketing really starts in China or India.

Unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬
    >>>In the end globalization is the only good remedy to fight hunger and poverty in this world.

I know lots of people are negatively affected by this, and I don't like it. However I don't blame companies taking these steps, they often have to (see my previous post). I still think in the end globalization is a good thing as more people are positively affected by it then negatively. But for people negatively affected, this doesn't mean anything and I'm aware of that.

Well Globalization makes financial sense for the company doing it, but it's not good for you and me even if it means we're getting our staples a little cheaper....

What will happen in a few generations when India and China and all the rest of the emerging economies grow American sized? Where will we get our cheap junk then? Much of the quality of life we experience is because goods can be manufactured cheaply elsewhere in the world. It's a sad reality that our rich life is improved by keeping other countries in poverty. Nobody wants another country to suffer, but we want our cheap trinkets too.

For example, I'm holding a cordless phone in my hand. I like my cordless phone. Not having to deal with the cord improves my quality of life. I paid $50 for this phone which was made in Malaysia. If Malaysia was no longer a "poor" country, or if the phone was made in the USA or Canada instead, it probably would cost three of four times more. Maybe I couldn't have afforded this phone in such a case, so then my quality of life (and thousands others who couldn't afford a more expensive phone) would be marginally lower than it is now.

Add in higher prices for the rest of the junk we all love. TVs, DVD players, IPODs, computers, etc. And you see quality of life will be severly impacted in the long run. Worse is when all countries are on even footing and staples become too expensive to be produced cheaply. Shoes, watches, clothing, computers, food, etc, etc. The easy solution is that the phone and other goods would then be made in India or some other cheap-labor country, but eventually they too will become a rich country unable to make cheap goods. What then?

If there are no impoverished countries left to get these goods cheaply from, what happens to the "rich" countries?
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

I wonder who these American companies think will be able to afford their stuff when Americans are out of work and stop buying?

I think people need to start looking at what they buy. I try to buy American-made things whenever I can, and that's becoming harder to do! Americans must realize that they need to support the U.S., and stop sending their money overseas. Wal-Mart? Forget it! I'll gladly pay more because I'm not supporting them - the working conditions for the people over in China where Wal-Mart gets so much of its merchandise should be much better, and I feel at least I'm doing my part by not supporting these companies.

I know a person who drives a foreign car with a "Proud to be an American" bumper sticker on it, American flags on it, etc., and I asked them why they weren't SUPPORTING American companies by buying an AMERICAN CAR. They responded by saying that their car was made here in America. Yes, but the corporate entity is located elsewhere, and that's ultimately where the money flows.

I think people in America should support America, just the same as people in other countries should support goods made in their own country. It's just good common sense, and it helps to keep the playing field level. Ultimately, Americans are doing more harm than good just to save a few cents. It's a shame.

Andy

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I wonder who these American companies think will be able to afford their stuff when Americans are out of work and stop buying?
    You are a wise man, Andy. You are unlike the macro-economists who can't see past their tenure, as well as the investment bankers and Wall Street rats who will sell off America's manufacturing infrastructure and long term future for quick short term gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Ultimately, Americans are doing more harm than good just to save a few cents. It's a shame.
    The short sighted we will always have amongst us . . .

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread