Thumbs up Howdy! 1st post
    Hey there Richard!

I downloaded the demo last night and played around with it. This looks like it just might fit the bill. Our site will be over 90,000 - 120,000 static pages so this will help us keep it up and still have some time for other clients.

I've been reading the posts about new features and some will be a real snazzy addition. When will the next version come out and when it does will we get a free upgrade for a while so that we can get these nifty new features?

Thanks a heap!

I played with it a little more today and it is indeed snazzy! I'm going to purchase it now.

Affiliate Manager
    WebMerge is in constant development, with new features added every few months. The next version will be v2.5, and will be free for all registered users.

We're also working on a new product, WebMerge Server Edition, for those who prefer to run WebMerge directly on the server. The Linux and BSD versions will be first, with Win and OS X right behind them (thanks to all who've been voting in the server poll). It's anticipated that the Server Edition will be done before WebMerge 2.5, but many factors may affect actual release dates so it's not possible to make a firm commitment on that at this time.

The first upgrade for which we charge will be v3.0. It will be modestly priced and have a compelling set of new features based on a complete rewrite of the generation engine and user interface. My goal has always been to deliver software that provides an unquestionable positive ROI for our customers, and I'm confident the modest price relative to new features in the v3.0 upgrade will continue that tradition.

After we ship v3.0 we'll be jumping into developing v4.0. The roadmap for all future versions is being worked on now, and our goal is to keep rolling out valuable features that make your work ever easier than the one before.

Because so many factors can affect which features get into which versions and when each version is released, we've found it's best not to try to make too many specific commitments on such things until we get relatively close to testing.

That said, I can tell you that the free v2.5 upgrade will definitely allow you to make index page breaks using BOTH field data changes and with a limit to the number of records on a page, and a number of other useful goodies as well.

So you can jump into v2.4 today, and your settings and templates will continue to work when we release v2.5.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Thumbs up
    We're definately interested in the server version.

Will the server version be able to use more than a few templates and sub-directories for one website?

Will we be able to use it for all of the websites on our server?

I'd be interested in seeing a list of features so I may make some good suggestions.

What will the cost be?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman
    We're definately interested in the server version.

Will the server version be able to use more than a few templates and sub-directories for one website?
    Yep - you should be able to do everything you would do with the desktop version, such as running multiple settings files, etc.

Will we be able to use it for all of the websites on our server?
    Yes.

I'd be interested in seeing a list of features so I may make some good suggestions.
    I'm still defining the full feature set, but it will support all of WebMerge's features. Anything special you need? I'd be happy to see if I could accomodate it.

What will the cost be?
    Still being determined, but you can help that process along: What would seem a reasonable price to you?
    Richard Gaskin

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    Still being determined, but you can help that process along: What would seem a reasonable price to you?
    Oh boy! You don't want to ask me that. Ha Ha! I'm what folks might call... thrifty! Ok, ok! They pronounce it like ummmmm "cheap". Yeah. That's it.

If I need or want something though, I'll pay any reasonable price. You have a good product here.

One more dumb question. I have several computers in my house and work on three of them. Desktop, laptop and the one in the next room. Can I work with this on all three since it's just us and we're not putting it on someone elses machine or do I have to purchase another license? We don't mind getting another license. (refer to previous post) Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.....

Affiliate Manager
    You're always welcome to purchase additional licenses, and if there are multiple users that would be required.

WebMerge licenses are on a per-user basis. As long as the same person is using it, we don't punish anyone for their good fortune of owning more than one computer.

But we do ask that each person using it have their own license.
    Richard Gaskin

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    You're always welcome to purchase additional licenses, and if there are multiple users that would be required.

WebMerge licenses are on a per-user basis. As long as the same person is using it, we don't punish anyone for their good fortune of owning more than one computer.

But we do ask that each person using it have their own license.
    Thanks Richard! Sooo, since my wife and I are as one... Just kidding. We'll get another license for her.
    Last edited by Fisherman; May 3rd, 2005 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread