ABW Ambassador
    Ask Jeeves' MyWay and MySearch software installed through security holes
    http://www.benedelman.org/news/050205-1.html

Not sure if this has been talked about already.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You wonder what business background and parentage these pimps for the Adwhores bring to the VC pig trough tables. Did the sell dope or human flesh on street corners or run PR campaigns for Michael Jackson and Michael Moore? Are they terminal AIDs or cancer patients just seeking a quick buck for one last secret trip to NYC or San Francisco to throw hundred dollar bills to watch homeless winnos and crack HO's do devient sex acts. Probably not, as they're just the by-products of some .com driven MBA program on a Liberal campus learning to exploit the loops holes in the most corrupt of industries ...Advertising.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Fuel for Spitzer's fire!!!
    I love Ben - he's DA MAN!!!
    Very happy that I support his work! I consider it a sound investment.

Won't be long before other state's Attorneys General (plural?) feel the need to join the fight and protect their citizens from these companies' deceptive and harmful practices!

I watched the first 5 minutes of Ben's video... OH MY GOD!!! He's recorded the largest barage of pop-up BHO installs I've ever seen. His clicking is better than a thrill-a-minute porpoise show! Someday, this video will be in a museum and allow us to reflect back on the days when the Internet was almost overrun by scum!

When I saw all those install prompts with their check boxes at the bottom that say:
    (box) Always trust content from 180Solutions
    (box) Always trust content from BetterInternet
    I shuddered...

Reminds me, as my friends call me to fix their computers, to review what they've added to their "Trusted Sites". Anyone know is the Microsoft Anti-Spyware cleans these out? And does it add a list of places like Ben visited to the Restricted Sites list?

I think ecomcity posted a few months back where you could go to update that restricted sites list... anyone recall where that is?

Simplist way to get your system protected by known drive-by and hidden bundling sites is to install SpywareBlaster 3.3 at http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and update the application's bad actor profiles. The Restricted sites list, when defaults are checked off, protects your system from the scumiest of BHO hijackers who are all affiliates. AM's should check that file list for known sleazebag affiliates who also condone spamming, virus downloads, ID theft and sharing in profits from CC fraud.

PS: like most anti-spyware/adware packages they by default, for IE and Firefox, make the affiliate networks cookies as spyware ...so tell your customers to un-check Bfast, Linksynergy, and 6 commission junction cookie blockers.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    PS: like most anti-spyware/adware packages they by default, for IE and Firefox, make the affiliate networks cookies as spyware ...so tell your customers to un-check Bfast, Linksynergy, and 6 commission junction cookie blockers.
    Consumers will mess up the "unchecking" part here.

I'd rather risk losing some sales to parasites than risk losing all sales to misguided anti-spyware that destroys cookies.

Internet Cowboy
    I watched that video yesterday, all 15:50 of it. I was truly amazed and shocked. We are already seeing a puckering of the major sleezeware companies as a result of Spitzer's actions. I hope it continues and other states also follow through. If he gets the $500 per install damages he is after that will be the end of adware as we know it because every infected consumer in the country will be suing the parasites......couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I watched that video yesterday, all 15:50 of it. I was truly amazed and shocked. We are already seeing a puckering of the major sleezeware companies as a result of Spitzer's actions. I hope it continues and other states also follow through. If he gets the $500 per install damages he is after that will be the end of adware as we know it because every infected consumer in the country will be suing the parasites......couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.
    Yeppers. If Michigan pulls off their Anti-Spyware bill and allows individual suits against the infestation freeks I'll have a good income stream. Get a bulldog sheister attorney and map out infected systems for him on bird dog fees. Then charge a expert witness fee for the court hearings. Slam dunk cases will be my speciality.

ABW Ambassador
    From the thread in the Midnight Forum, i guess the below relates to this thread:

"And then there's Ask Jeeves (ASKJ: news, chart, profile) , which just on Monday terminated an agreement with a marketing/distribution partner that uses drive-by downloads (a form of adware). The termination was prompted after I questioned Ask Jeeves about this partnership, which was uncovered by spyware sleuth Ben Edelman. "

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Yeppers. If Michigan pulls off their Anti-Spyware bill and allows individual suits against the infestation freeks I'll have a good income stream. Get a bulldog sheister attorney and map out infected systems for him on bird dog fees. Then charge a expert witness fee for the court hearings. Slam dunk cases will be my speciality.
    1-800-CALL-SAM

Time for him to branch out of personal injury and malpractice. One more of those cases and he'll probably spit anyway.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Hey, glad you all enjoyed the article.

A further thought that may be of interest: Google provides the majority of the PPC ads shown by AJ within its web site, which is what the AJ toolbar all point to. So when AJ toolbars get installed through security holes, AJ ultimately shows Google ads, and Google ultimately profits.

Anyone remember Google's Software Principles? See Keeping Good Company section in particular. Hard to see how Google is living up to that principle in this instance...

Ask Jeeves, Findwhat and Knoodle are all just fronts operated by greed driven Adwhore sheisters loving to work with all types of sleezeball spamming affiliates. The GAME is to beat advertisers keyword budgets with an endless supply of junk traffic & bogus click cheats. Like all Ad networks the PPCSE operators enjoy click revenue generated by the blackhat playas while laying the blame on that very same group they monitize.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread