View Poll Results: Should the amount of time to edit a post change?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 15 minutes is too short.

3 13.04%
  • No, 15 minutes is enough time.

6 26.09%
  • An hour should be enough.

5 21.74%
  • There should NOT be a time limit to edit a post.

9 39.13%
  • I always make perfect posts. Editing isn't an option.

0 0%
    Post Editing
    I KNOW it's Haiko's decision. I'm not questioning Haiko, as a whole. But I do question the time limit on post editing.

There's been too many times I've made a post, and gone off and watch a little TV, make something to eat, work on a site, etc and all of a sudden think of something I should've said, should've said different, etc. Too late. 15 friggin minutes, you have to make a whole new reply.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I guess this should've gone in the Voting Booth.

I can't edit my post to say that though.

I also have more reasons for no limit, but I'll wait and see how this plays out. I'm right on all accounts though. I just can't overrule the master H.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I don't know how many times I lost some great post content because when I hit "post" I got the "You're over 15 min." notice. It is a royal pain to re-write it and even to try to remember what it was you wanted to say.

I suffer from the "and another thing" syndrom.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I like, it should make people think a little more before they click Post.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think an hour would be good, despite the risk of catching a typo later and *knowing* that it'll become a permanent part of internet history. IMO, there should be a point where people can say "so-and-so said" and link to a particular post--and know that the post they are referring to will keep saying what they thought it did!

I do think 15 minutes is too short, though. That's hardly enough time to think of a change, let alone type it in...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I agree with Chet. If you haven't thought it through yet, maybe it's not quite time to actually post.

And no offense to you at all SSanf, but the way you go back and add to posts drives me a bit crazy at times. I understand why you do that. You just think of more to add or clarification to your original post. However, I keep up with threads by viewing the thread from the last post read. I don't start over with the whole thread again. So it is confusing at times when you've added significant content to a post I've already read but I don't catch it right away because other's have responded since and I'm taken to the thread below your edited post. And I do hate missing some of your posts and points.

ABW Ambassador

I agree with Chet. If you haven't thought it through yet, maybe it's not quite time to actually post.
    tHINK IT THROUGH! nOW, THAT IS JUST ASKING WAY TOO MUCH. eSPECIALLY AT MY AGE!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I say 15 minutes is to much.
    Especially on an activve forum. People will start something wait for someone to reply edit their post and make the person that replied look like an idiot.

Sometimes typing it out and posting makes one think of new things to say or add..
    not to mention spelling errors that need corrected later.. it's hard to correct these in the little window you use to post..

HALF HOUR would be a good time... maybe..

Been bumped up to 30 minutes.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

The problem with allowing editing on a *popular* forum is that someone will post something and a thread will ensue with others chiming in. Then the original poster edits their post and boom, folks that hadn't read the original post are befuddled as to what is going on. That's why there is short editing times. If you have a board that gets 5 posts a day, you can have 12 hours to edit a post. Not ABW
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Time limited post editing is a good thing. I've seen a lot of instances when inflammatory remarks have been written and then the author has gone back later and changed them. That's nothing short of weasely.

I think it's safe to say that the time limit has resulted in improved behavior on the part of some folks around here.

Russians have a saying: "Measure it seven times, and then cut once". This well applies here. I'd first THINK "seven times" and the POST once. A limit should be there. As short as 5 minutes!

ABW Ambassador
    Smile This saves a lot of aggrevation.

When I have a long or involved post, I open a text file and write and polish my post there before entering it into the ABW text box. This save a lot of aggravation. I also have a dictionary on top of my monitor most of the time to catch spelling errors.

Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Rather than keep looking up words in the dictionary because I am a very bad spaller, I sometimes copy/paste the post into my email program then run spell check. then copy/paste into ABW's text box/
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarCat
    When I have a long or involved post, I open a text file and write and polish my post there before entering it into the ABW text box.
    This definitely is the way to do it! There is another great Russian saying (sorry, my initial education is in linquistics) that goes like this: "A word is not a sparrow; once it flies out - you won't catch it!" Nobody's perfect, but when you speak with someone, I hope you first think and they say, as editing half an hour later is merely impossible...

Yours,
    Dasha

I like 30 minutes a lot better. I don't think we have a lot of folks trying to be weasely or set others up by editing posts. Besides, you can easily quote what you are responding to if you think someone is likely to suddenly have poster's regret.

It is not as if those kinds of posts are hard to spot.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread