Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    FORBIDDEN from ever contacting the Affiliate Manger?
    An affiliate manager who no longer has a forum here, represents about a dozen merchants.

After not responding to an appropriate number of emails, (a $174 sale posted as a $4 sale) I went over his head and went to the BBB asking if they could help in getting a response.

His response was...

Called me a bunch of choice names for complaining

My "private offer" commissions were dropped to the prevailing rate and...

I'll quote:

"... do not contact me again for any reason."

I called the owners of my two biggest merchants and they reinstated my commissions and will act as their own affiliate managers, but what about the rest?

What happens if the datafeed isn't working? The banners haven't been updated? A sales didn't track?

Anyone else NOT allowed to contact the affiliate manager???

Forgot to say:

Besides MYSELF contacting the AM, I contacted the owner of the company, who emailed the AM and sent me a CC of the email.

So both myself and the owner did contact him with no response to me.

Billy
    I take it you are not the flavour of the month then ?? .
    That is a stupid situation, that cannot work..
    if my AM acted like that he would get the boot

from what i see around here, you are very good at what you do.
    It must be a personal thing.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Nope never had an AM tell me not to contact them..
    That is NO WAY TO DO BUSINESS..

A program is only as good as the AM.. especially if you have problems..!

Sorry to hear your having trouble Billy Kay..

And you didn't think it was appropriate that you forward the "... do not contact me again for any reason." response to the owner of the company? I'm amazed that this AM had the audacity to say such a thing to you, knowing you've already been in contact with the company owner.

You had a legitimate problem. You may have legitimate problems in the future. How are you supposed to effectively promote their products if you've been blacklisted by the AM, who has acted in a totally unprofessional manner?

You must have already had great success with the program if you've been granted "private offer" commission status. I'm sure the owner would hate to lose you as an affiliate. And really, wouldn't you be doing him a favor by letting him know? If this AM has treated you this way, how is he/she treating the other affiliates in the program?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Having a forum here as the active affiliate recruiting base for pro-active AM's is a luxury and priviledge. Those not able to take the heat with honest replys to challenges, or seeking to play both sides of the Adware fence, deserve to get booted. Billy doesn't seem like the type to exaggerate his frustrations with an unresponsive AM nor hold his punches when going over the AM's had to the real bosses when necessary. Great for him as AM's cannot hide behind smoke screens forever.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Why is it that nearly all the removed forums on ABW always have something come up one way or another. ... sigh!
    So the moral of the story is...when the snake has been removed from ABW - don't put the snake in your pocket (even if he promises not to bite). Because after all he is a snake and we all know that snakes bite.

Good apples don't grow on bad trees.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Sounds like an AM who acted like a 2 year old when you finally had to go over their head with the issue. As if that isn't bad enough, I would think that a private offer is indicative of an affiliate who is performing well for the program and the initial unresponsiveness by the AM regarding a commission issue reeks of poor management.

All I can say Billy is that I wish you luck and that I hope the Merchant seriously reconsiders who they have managing their program. OPMs who know how to run a program the way it should be are out there to be had. No reason for a Merchant to tolerate such by the person who is managing their program.

Do affiliate managers forget they are there to help affiliates to grow the business or does dealing with those who are self employed get to them as they are salaried?.. hmmm

Billy,

In my many many many years in this industry I can not fathom ever even thinking of saying such a comment to any of my affiliate clients. I believe you did the right thing by contacting the owner of the company, but what disturbs me even more is that the owner did not follow through with the response to you by that AM. Most exclusive offers are only doled out to the cream of the crop and I have to assume that you generated enough revenue for them to even consider offering you the exclusives. You deserved much better treatment. Sounds like your AN is fresh out of High School and has no concept of Customer Service!

My personal experience in the AN arena is that communication from our affiliates is very important, as many times the technical issues would not be found unless an affiliate reports the issue, we don't have enough hours in the days to check every link or revenue reports to find all errors.
    So I encourage all Affiliates to report issues to your AM as most find it a welcome communication! With out Affiliates, we would all be out of a job!

Regards,
    Yvette Winn
    Affiliate Manager
    http://www.maxbounty.com
    yvette@maxbounty.com

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    HAHAHA You definately one uped me there Billy

I woulda bet the bank that I would have had this happen to me....but ya beat me to it

LOL

I like that

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    After not responding to an appropriate number of emails
    In this day an age, I still wonder how this can be possible. 48 hours must be set standard for an online 24-7 business. If affiliate marketing is a serious business for you, then be ready to answer and look at your emails 3 times aday. I get very upset my self when I see others I write to that take a week to respond. No excuse.

we don't have enough hours in the days to check every link or revenue reports to find all errors. So I encourage all Affiliates to report issues to your AM as most find it a welcome communication! With out Affiliates, we would all be out of a job!
    Correct!

Having a forum here as the active affiliate recruiting base for pro-active AM's is a luxury and priviledge. Those not able to take the heat with honest replys to challenges, or seeking to play both sides of the Adware fence, deserve to get booted.
    Correct!

OPMs who know how to run a program the way it should be are out there to be had. No reason for a Merchant to tolerate such by the person who is managing their program.
    Correct!

Customer service is "the" most important aspect of any business. It's not just sales and marketing all the time. One must be ready to serve no matter if you agree with a customer or in this case an affiliate.

An affiliate manager who no longer has a forum here, represents about a dozen merchants, is male and is too uppity for their own good.

Who ever could it be?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    An affiliate manager who no longer has a forum here, represents about a dozen merchants, is male and is too uppity for their own good.

Who ever could it be?
    I'm NO good at guessing things like this out!
    And I don't remember offhand who fits that description...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I'm lost here. What programs is he running?

Geez am I losing the touch?
    No, it's not you, I have problems remembering names and such...

I figured that bolding was some kind of clue, but I didn't know how to go about figuring it out! I'm also awful at remembering names unless I know the person *really* well, or I've seen 7000 of their posts, or something makes them stand out to me. So nothing "popped into my mind" when I saw your post, sorry...

Thanks for all the supportive PMs.

I'm NOT naming him right now because doing so would back him into a corner, and perhaps make the situation worse.

I'm really, really, really, really, hoping his response was just a knee-jerk reaction to the fact I had the nerve to complain.

I'll respond within 10 days to the BBB response with: "I complained I didn't get a response. If he HAD responded to me, he would have attached a copy, which he didn't, so I rest my case."

followed by:

"And here's a list of my "punishments" he imposed because I contacted the BBB. Can you pls make it a part of this company's file that if you complain, they punish"

I'll keep the 2 big merchants - as long as they're making me money.

The rest, I'll make copies of the BBB filing and drop ';em - and tell them why

An affiliate manager who no longer has a forum here, represents about a dozen merchants, is male, is too uppity for their own good and rhymes with "Dribble".

Who dat?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I received a PM from a well placed source that says this person's hobby is suing people at the drop of a dime. Tread lightly, and if you're gonna' play the guessing game, should be done thru PMs

is male, is too uppity for their own good and rhymes with "Dribble".
    its not that guy off Top Cat ???
    rhymes with "Dribble
    OFFICER DIBBLE ,,, LOL,,LOL,,

Take me court !!!!
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

Pegged it, finally!

Gah, as obvious as a box of rocks

I hardly ever looked in his forum...not a surprise that I didn't pick up the clue.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm NOT naming him right now because doing so would back him into a corner, and perhaps make the situation worse.
    Yep, because of......

a well placed source that says this person's hobby is suing people at the drop of a dime.
    or threatening to amongst other things. Least that's what I've heard from more than one with direct dealings.

But this is certainly not the way affs should to partner with their Merchants. Or Merchants partner with their affs for that matter.

Off the top of my head, I haven't a clue as to who it is. Perhaps it will come to me at some point.

At any rate, isn't an AM supposed to deal with things of this nature? Isn't that part of the job?

Telling an affiliate to not contact them any more with problems is childish and irresponsible. They are basically saying they don't want to do their job...

This is unfortunate for the merchants who have hired this person. I wonder if they are being given the attention they deserve. It's pretty apparent that their affiliates are not.

Andy

Billy
    i would email the merchants
    a link to this thread.
    Then let them decide for themselves..
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

A letigious affiliate manager who no longer has a forum here, represents about a dozen merchants, is male, is too uppity for their own good and rhymes with "Dribble".

Name that AM!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast