Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Need some help with AdSense
    okay

I have some directories on my site that are no longer being used, my clients bailed on me

These pages account for almost 40 000 targeted page views a month

So I am thinking about adding adsense to them, but have no idea how it works can someone help me?

Thanx

Diddy

Basically, you login to your google adsense account, select the type of adsense ads you want to display (ie; image / text / size / color / etc) and google gives you some code which you just need to copy and paste into the page(s) that you want to display adsense ads in.
    That's all that is required on your part. Google then generates relevant ads based on the content of the page the ads are on, people click, you get some change.

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Do people make cake at this?

There are some who earn a full time income from adsense on their site.
    Then there are some who earn a decent amount of money from adsense on their site.
    Then there are some who earn only a few cents to a dollar a month from adsense on their site.

It depends on whether your visitors click on the adsense ads and on the market those ads are in. Ie; more competitive markets would result in better adsense earnings.

I have studied this for a while now and only about 5% of the people that use Adsense make over 100.00 a month.The largest % are people that make under a dollar a day.There are some large blogs that make up to 1000.00 dollars a day.They have around 100,000 hits plus per day,so if you can compete with them go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dete99
    ... only about 5% of the people that use Adsense make over 100.00 a month.The largest % are people that make under a dollar a day. ...
    Where did you get this information?
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Not sure where you got those numbers, but I'm sure there's a LOT of affiliates who halfheartedly put up a few links and only manage to make enough money to buy a cup of coffee once in a while.

AdSense is like anything else, it's not automatic where you throw up any old links and the cash just rolls in. Well, maybe if you have 100K pageview to throw at it. But if you put some thought and planning into it, you can reap the rewards with the right setup.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

If your pages rank well for keywords that typically have a low CPC price tag, more than likely you will not make much money with Adsense. If they rank for keywords/have content for keywords that typically have a high CPC you will typically make good money. I find that ads placed in the center or on the left side of the page without a border color seem to get the highest CTR.

Quote Originally Posted by dete99
    I have studied this for a while now and only about 5% of the people that use Adsense make over 100.00 a month.The largest % are people that make under a dollar a day.
    The same could be said about affiliate marketing. But that doesn't stop us from pursuing affiliate marketing. I'm sure there are hundreds (if not thousands) of people in the "UPS Club" (those who make 5 figures or more monthly from AdSense).

AdSense is simple to set up, and that's one of it's main advantages. It typically doesn't earn as much as affiliate links for experienced affiliates, but it usually earns far more than traditional CPM/CPC banners.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The challenge with Adsense is that the payout is not fixed. You may make 10k one month, but it does not gaurantee that you will make it the next month.

true you might make 20 k
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

What percentage of the value of the click is given by Google to Adsense participants?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelle
    What percentage of the value of the click is given by Google to Adsense participants?
    Google won't tell anyone that. You get paid per click and it varies widely. Figure $.10 to $.30 per click.

Figure $.10 to $.30 per click.
    My sites average anywhere from $.01 per click to $2.00 per click. It depends so much on so many different factors that it's hard to really say which links pay more.

As for an answer to the original question, there isn't really any downside to putting the ads on the pages other than the time that it takes to put them there. If you can get 40,000 page views per month on those pages, it is possible to make alot of money. Averaged out, my sites make around $50 per 1000 visitors...so if you could average that, it would be a reasonable chunk of money. Make sure that you play with colors, layouts, locations, and ad types to see what pays best for you. It will vary from site to site and I recommend heavy use of channels, if not a 3rd party tracking script.

My sites average anywhere from $.01 per click to $2.00 per click. It depends so much on so many different factors that it's hard to really say which links pay more.
    Does Adsense provide any breakdown of how much revenu did each ad generate? e.g. Is there a way to find out which click generated $0.01 and which generated $2.00 other than creating a different channel for each page.

By the way, does Google decide automatically what ads to show on a certain Adsense user's Web site or could the Adsense user influence this decision?

Thanks!

marcelle

Is there a way to find out which click generated $0.01 and which generated $2.00 other than creating a different channel for each page.
    Google does not give out specific breakdowns of what each click is worth. If you wanted to put some time into tracking it, there are ways of figuring out a reasonable estimate, but it's not worth doing because payouts change day to day based on an advertiser's budget.

By the way, does Google decide automatically what ads to show on a certain Adsense user's Web site or could the Adsense user influence this decision?
    Ads displayed are based on the content of the site. The ads are not necessarily targeted to specific keywords. The system is supposedly setup to display the highest paying ads based on the overall content of the page.

Beer,

Thanks for the info! I presume that updating the content is critical to increase the Adsense payout.

marcelle

Updating the content doesn't necessarily mean a higher payout. You could potentially update content and slightly change the overall page topic (as Google sees it), causing a lower payout. I tweaked some titles on a site one time and watched the amount per click fall to really small numbers. After a week of crappy payouts I switched back to the old titles and within a day it was back upto the old payouts.

Beer,

Thanks!

"titles" as in meta tags? or the actual titles?

How often does the Adsense reporting page update?

marcelle

Both <title> and h1 tags.

Reporting updates vary. Data is not 100% reliable until the day after whatever day you are looking at...even then it might not be. I've seen stats updated several days late, but it only happened one time and Google alerted publishers to it.

I just ended my first month with Adsense running on about 900 pages. Also my site is just creeping out of G. sandbox, so not many visitors. I made almost $85 the first month, so I am very encouraged and looking forward to higher earnings. I modified the border color to match the very pale blue of my site and left the Adsense bg color as white. It looks good. All ads are in the heat position. I am very happy with Adsense. My visitors are interested in buying gifts. The Adsense choice of ads is excellent for this particular business. I use the square with 4 listings. I think earnings will increase month by month as more visitors arrive.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread