Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is March-April Time This BAD for Everyone?
    March and April are the worst times for me as affiliate. Well... March is "understandable" (filing tax returns in the US and all that). Why April? Does anyone feel/experience the same?

15 years and counting
    Does anyone feel/experience the same?
    They are not the best months of the year, but it's getting worse. So, it could be the economy, oil price, increase competition or more parasites gone wild.

ABW Ambassador
    April because taxes are due April 15th. Also like Zeus mentioned gas is pretty high, some have tight budgets. Families could be spending their money on family vacations and more outdoor activities. On a general shopping mall type site usually the spring/summer months tend to be lower than the last quarter/first quarter. But it also depends on what type of site you have or what you're pushing. Right now could be the best time of year for some affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    ...But it also depends on what type of site you have or what you're pushing. Right now could be the best time of year for some affiliates.
    Which ones?

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasha
    Which ones?

I know that alot of CPA college affiliate programs do really well just before a new semester starts, which is around now and a for about a month...

Although, since the pay is generally so good with college affiliate programs, the market is starting to get very saturated with people promoting them, so PPC is getting real expensive on those keywords and making it more difficult to earn a descent return.

You may want to give it a try though. Search4Clicks.com is a good place to go through, they only do college related affiliates, they have over 700 schools and they pay me on time each month. They are sometimes strict on which sites they let it though, you may want to through together an education related website before you apply, but they pay anywhere from $4 to $30 per lead, not too shabby.

Anyway, hope that helps.

- Jason

Tax related and/or financial might've done well in March/April. Outdoor gear and vacation related could do well over the coming months. Swimwear and weightloss are probably just coming into full swing...

Other categories don't have much of a season, but economic factors could be hurting those as mentioned.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    What Jrod said, also stuff like travel, outdoor sites, surfwear/beach stuff, sunglasses, squito repellent, pool supplies, patio sets etc. Just think of things you would normally spend money on this time of year or in the past, stuff geared towards warmer weather, outside stuff.

edited to add. Forgot to add gardening stuff.

ABW Ambassador
    Also some people are not paying taxes, but getting refunds. Play to that. But try and think of the type of person who normally gets a refund, hourly wage people, middle to low income, etc.

Chet

April weathers nice people actually wana go out and shop instead of stay home and shop. I typically experience a decline in traffic from March - August but nothing major. I still make money to pay the bills and the hoes

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I still make money to pay the bills and the hoes
    I take it your a gardener?

Lots of people are getting their tax returns back, paid property taxes and some of the big bills and are finally paying holiday purchases on their credit cards.

People are sprucing up the house, gardening, spiffing up their cars and looking for graduation gifts, prom dresses and looking ahead for summer vacation.

There's no excuse to not find a target market to reach. Last spring was second best season after an excellent fall. Summer wasn't too doggy either.

The cup's half full afterall.
    ~Ernie

nope but my father inlaw is a landscaper. Their nothing but gardners with a nice title.

It's too nice out to be trapped inside. Take a vacation along with the customers!

I am headed to Cali May 17th - 21st for e3

I agree,I felt the high gas prices would help us,since shoppers don't have to go to the malss,etc., but a big drop in sales, and big increase in traffic,that don't pay the bills,tho
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    I know that alot of CPA college affiliate programs do really well just before a new semester starts, which is around now and a for about a month...

Although, since the pay is generally so good with college affiliate programs, the market is starting to get very saturated with people promoting them, so PPC is getting real expensive on those keywords and making it more difficult to earn a descent return.

You may want to give it a try though. Search4Clicks.com is a good place to go through, they only do college related affiliates, they have over 700 schools and they pay me on time each month. They are sometimes strict on which sites they let it though, you may want to through together an education related website before you apply, but they pay anywhere from $4 to $30 per lead, not too shabby.

Anyway, hope that helps.

- Jason
    It DOES, Jason! Thank you!

Yours,
    Dasha

It's time to prepare for Christmas! Build new sites!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Michael Coley is right on! Build, build, build. If you wait until the shopping is good to build - you're too late.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It's time to prepare for Christmas! Build new sites!
    AMEN, brother!

Yes, slow times are a good time to build out your sites and partnerships for better times to come.

It's great being free of all those pesky checks that need depositing and hundreds of daily orders that need to be reviewed. :-)

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Not to be too negative, but I'm sure many US citizens have felt the burn of the "new" laws regarding credit cards. Your rates now can be raised a) with the prime rate, b) based on a credit blemish or c) for no reason at all. (I'm suffering the big c. right now.) The usury laws are gone, folks.

Also, word is out that that credit card companies will be doubling minimums and be legally forced to print how much/how long you will pay if you have to pay minimum. Plan to suffer severe nausea if you carry balances.

This has many of us on tenderhooks right now. I've ceased all possible credit card usage and am upping payments to pay these sharks off faster. No luxuries whatsoever for me; I've even stopped shopping my own site.

I think this will be a new, unfortunate trend among the middle to lower classes.

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    March was a lousy month (about $1500 below my monthly average), but April more than made up for it by being my second best month ever (about $2500 over my monthly average). Of course part of the reason March was so slow was because my web design business was so busy that I didn't have enough time to work on Alex's Coupons.

As you've already read, the key is to keep building new sites, new pages, etc... My site currently has almost 200,000 pages and over 1000 merchants and every month it gets bigger. About 1/4 of April's income was from pages/stores that I had added in the previous two months. Each month I try to come up with a page or category that will earn an extra $1000 for that month. It doesn't always work and sometimes I'll succeed only to lose a $1000 somewhere else because a money-making page drops out of the rankings, but in the long run it's paid off.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

I totally agree and am taking this opportunity to build something entirely new. I believe it's more important to build on top of your existing sites than to build new sites. I'm having some fun making content-oriented tools that will hopefully garner exponential traffic growth. Search engine traffic isn't the only way to go as there have been many proven methods to getting free traffic by other means. The trick is to provide something new, innovative and useful. People love to spread word about new toys, so the trick is becoming the latest trend.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    March was a lousy month (about $1500 below my monthly average), but April more than made up for it by being my second best month ever (about $2500 over my monthly average). Of course part of the reason March was so slow was because my web design business was so busy that I didn't have enough time to work on Alex's Coupons.
    -- Todd
    I envy you, Todd! My worst months are March, April and May. The best ones are, of course, October, November and December.

Dasha

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    Hey Dasha,

December is my best month also, followed by April and then January. I think being a coupon site is a big part of the reason I do well during months that are generally considered slow for other sites. When people don't have a lot of money (e.g. after Christmas, tax time) they want to save money and that's when they really start looking for coupons.

I think the other key is to make your site relevant all year round by providing seasonal/holiday related content and of course by keeping it updated. When I first started out most of my traffic was from search engines. Now almost two thirds of my traffic is return traffic coming directly to my site. They come back because they know my site is updated daily and because I'm always adding something new.

Only downside to this constant updating is that it makes it hard to take a vacation! I went to Alberta for a week in February and ended up working at least a couple of hours every night keeping the site updated. I think it's time to start looking for an employee!

Hope everything is going great. Take care.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast