Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ok...Someone is infected with W23.Sober Virus
    Antivirus picked up an infected email. It sent it to 53 variations of addressbookname (at) affiliatefairplay.com. Looking at what those names were it is definitely an aff or AM who is infected and doesn't realize it. If you have me in your address book and your antivirus software if off or not up-to-date, you probably want to check your computer.

Did you get the IP from the headers? That's normally a good pointer.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

IP was for HickoryTech.net. Didn't help me much to narrow down who it might be, but if anyone is using HickoryTech for their connection..............

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    HickoryTech located in Minnesota...Guess im safe then, never heard of them.

15 years and counting
    The closest I know is Hickory Farms, a merchant at LinkShare.

My office computer has been getting lots of infected messages over the past 2 days, but my home computer (so far) (knock on wood...) has been OK.

I always make sure I'm up to date, and run a virus scan when I hear about a large outbreak. So far that's kept me pretty safe. What a waste of time and resources to do such a thing. It's too bad the people who create these destructive viruses can't do something more beneficial to mankind...

Andy

I agree Andy.

And if they won't be like normal people and they feel they have to code virii, then:

Why can't they write a virus that removes parasiteware and then spreads like crazy and then deletes itself when the computer is clean.

Why can't they write a virus that removes parasiteware and then spreads like crazy and then deletes itself when the computer is clean.
    Wouldn't that be great? I wonder how much recognition and news coverage something like that would get? Might make it worthwhile for someone!

Andy

Even online you can fight fire, with fire. Too bad it's illegal and most will most likely never happen. I'd love to see it though.
    (now if someone here knows how to do this and they read this post and go and do it.... I wonder if i'll get in any trouble for the 'idea' of it?)

ABW Ambassador
    it is definitely an aff or AM who is infected and doesn't realize it.
    Or it is someone who bought an email list from an aff or AM.

Ooops, I'm sorry, affiliate marketers are somehow supposed to be above all that.

Why can't they write a virus that removes parasiteware and then spreads like crazy and then deletes itself when the computer is clean?
    Parasite companies seem to be the one's leading the way in writing "antispyware programs." They want to keep other parasites from infecting the machines they've infected. I definately get a lot of popups and spam offering to clean my computer of competitive spyware.

The goal of a virus is to kill the host. Parasites want to feed on their host, but end up killing it by accident.

afaik, the goal of a virus is to perform whatever action it was programmed to perform. If a malicious coder writes a virus that kills the host, then the virus' goal is to kill the host. If a 'robin hood' type coder writes a piece of code (virus in that it spreads like a virus) that will remove parasiteware, spread through address books like a worm, then remove itself completely, then the goal of the 'virus' is to do exactly that.

The more I think of it, the more this sounds good. The media coverage around something like this would raise a lot more awareness for spyware/adware/parasiteware.

Meanwhile, i've gone off topic. I use the AVG anti-virus from Grisoft. It's free and I've found it to be great.

Well I was hit with the W32.Sober.O virus today. Its a mass-mailing worm that creates its own SMTP server on your pc and continuously sends itself to every email address in your address book. It also has backdoor capabilities. If you are firewalled or behind a router of some sort, it really isn't too big of a threat, just annoying. It got on our network at my workplace and slipped right under Norton AV Corporate Edition's nose. The reason Norton missed it when it came in was because only the NEWEST definitions will detect this new variant of the Sober worm. The defs that were needed are the ones from 5/03/05 and we were on 4/29/04. Anyways if anyone want to check if they have it, or remove it, Norton has released a free cleaner tool you can download it here

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    All ambulance at the bottom of the cliff stuf.

Go out and get yourself a Mac Mini with OSX Tiger on it - best $600 you could spend.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Unhappy
    The more I think of it, the more this sounds good. The media coverage around something like this would raise a lot more awareness for spyware/adware/parasiteware.
    Unfortunately, I think the awareness raised that way would indeed be "FOR" the parasites, as in "sympathetic to them."

I think the media would eat up the parasitewares' inevitable spin, and the anti-para codewriters would become known as the evil, malicious hackers "interfering with consumer's rights" and "costing hard-working tech companies their hard-earned money" blah blah blah. The TV news, always much more willing to persue sensationalism and ratings than facts, probably wouldn't even let the anti-para side get a word in edgewise.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader is right. Who was it (a SE company I think) that did the DDoS thing on spammers web sites? That one backfired on them big time and they took it down within a few days of a lot of bad press.

I believe you're referring to Lycos with their 'Make Love Not Spam' screensaver.

I still have the install around here somewhere, heh.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread