Question Becoming LS Merchant - COST?
    What would it cost one to become a LinkShare merchant? I cannot seem to find any info on this at their website...

Many thanks in advance for clarifying.

Dasha

Dasha,

There are several posts each year where merchants ask which network we prefer. Before you consider LS, you might want to do a search and see what the satisfaction level is of affiliates. It's not just your initial and ongoing costs you need to consider. It is how many affiliates you can get to join via your network and how good the support is at the network that also factor into things.

I've worked with many independent mechants (not with a network) who have considered joining networks and asked me for advice. I always refer them to existing merchants (with permission) at each network so they can hear firsthand how things are working. You might want to contact some merchants in an unrelated sales market and ask for their opinions.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Ron,

I totally agree with what you're saying, and I am considering this factor as well. One of the things that got me interested in LS is seeing such authoritative merchants on their list as Walmart, Overstock, Delta Airlines, Enterprise-Rent-A-Car, etc... I guess, these guys know what they are doing...

Still looking forward to learning about the costs.

Thanks.

Dasha

ABW Ambassador
    >Still looking forward to learning about the costs.

Ask them.

Just filled their form online...

I thought that I would get a faster reply here...

Dasha

From an affiliate point of view, I do prefer Linkshare to CJ! Peformics is also good!

One thing to remember is once you are with LS you can't be with any other network. I think that is correct.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    One thing to remember is once you are with LS you can't be with any other network. I think that is correct.
    Another important thing to remember is that once you do whatever it's that you do, after we all know that you know by now about how we feel about some issues, don't complain later if greed make you go to the wrong place.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Thank you, Ron! This is a very good piece of information!

Thanks also to Chris at AMWSO for PM-ing me the details of how LinkShare works! I love this forum! Learning more and more every hour...

Look, they are trying to tell you something so I will spell it out. Go with SAS.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Look, they are trying to tell you something so I will spell it out. Go with SAS.
    As usual, SSanf is right on target!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    "They" - who, SSanf? If you're referring to Chris, he has been nothing but helpful. No strings attached...

I am also leaning towards doing it with SaS.

Thanks,

Dasha

What will it cost?

As it stands, a lot of affiliates not wanting to work with you.

I for one, and there are others, are tired of Linkshare.
    For weeks I (and others) have been trying to log into their "new" reporting area.
    Unable to get in, I have contacted them several times (as have others) and their insightful, helpful response?
    Thank you for your email!

Unfortunately there is no ETA of when the report will be fully functional. A notice should go out in regards to all the information you requested shortly.
    So, I have no way of seeing how much I am being paid, no way to check my reports and no idea when I will be able to as they themselves HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!

The killer in this whole mess is this.
    They ADMIT the whole reporting system is in BETA and yet, they remove all access to the original WORKING reporting system.

Now, there are issues with those who can get in, sadly I am not one so I won't be able to tell you what they are. But, simply browse the threads in the Linkshare forum and you will be able to find them for yourself.

To be honest, I WAS very excited about the changes Linkshare was beginning to implement. But this mess is giving me concerns about certain aspects of their decision making process/operations are and I am running ... not walking ... running as far from them as I can.

[edited to try and be a little nicer - not sure LS deserves it but hey, I'm a nice guy]
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I love the way SaS works. It's very easy and smooth. Whenever I need some promotional materials, SaS provides the quickest results. For example, when I request a datafeed with BeFree I never get a response, CJ is pretty responsive but they charge $200 to enable a datafeed account. LS charges $250 and is fairly responsive with datafeeds. Problem with LS is they give very little regard to their affiliates and really make us feel terrible about their service. As it stands now they're holding our checks for an extra month for some system upgrades. This is infuriating many affiliates, me included. They also have lots of reporting issues and login problems. LS is definitely one of the most controversial affiliate networks. If you want to cobrand with a strong authority network, I prefer CJ. I feel more confidence in their system and their stats are updated much more frequently. They're also great with payments!

Hope this can help,
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Oh yeah and CHRIS is awesome
    I believe Ssanf is referring to Linkshare giving you the spin, not him.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I love the way SaS works. It's very easy and smooth. Whenever I need some promotional materials, SaS provides the quickest results. For example, when I request a datafeed with BeFree I never get a response, CJ is pretty responsive but they charge $200 to enable a datafeed account. LS charges $250 and is fairly responsive with datafeeds. Problem with LS is they give very little regard to their affiliates and really make us feel terrible about their service. As it stands now they're holding our checks for an extra month for some system upgrades. This is infuriating many affiliates, me included. They also have lots of reporting issues and login problems. LS is definitely one of the most controversial affiliate networks. If you want to cobrand with a strong authority network, I prefer CJ. I feel more confidence in their system and their stats are updated much more frequently. They're also great with payments!

Hope this can help,
    - Scott
    The sad, sad part is that most of what Scott said above has been going on for years at LinkShare. And that just goes to show you this company is not quick to listen or make changes.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Also, make sure you understand all their other charges (setup fee, check cutting fees, merchandiser fees, banner serving fees, maintenance fees, email fees, OPM fees, support fees, affiliate recruitment fees, etc.). I've heard that they'll nickel and dime you to death. You really need to be able to generate a large number of sales to justify the costs. You see lots of huge companies on Linkshare, but the small ones typically don't last long. They just can't justify the costs.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Dasha, Dasha Dasha...

Not one Linkshare affiliate know how much they earned.

Not one Linkshae affiliate knows when they will be paid.

Why you would even consider joining a network that thinks this is acceptable is beyond me.

But your avatar is so cute... I'll overlook it.

Thanks, Billy Kay! Thank you, everyone!!! Do you all think SaS is going to discount any of the setup fee for me due the avatar?!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread